FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Using BA Amex on board BA plane for duty free (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1499041-using-ba-amex-board-ba-plane-duty-free.html)

jonnogreig Aug 31, 2013 1:59 am

Using BA Amex on board BA plane for duty free

Quick question......

Should I hand over my Exec Silver Card as well as my BA Amex if buying duty free on board a BA flight?

How does it work? Triple Avios on BA Amex and Extra Avios as well in a separate transaction via the Silver Card?

Any responses welcome.

Thanks in advance.

rapidex Aug 31, 2013 2:10 am

Originally Posted by jonnogreig (Post 21366834)
Quick question......

Should I hand over my Exec Silver Card as well as my BA Amex if buying duty free on board a BA flight?

How does it work? Triple Avios on BA Amex and Extra Avios as well in a separate transaction via the Silver Card?

Any responses welcome.

Thanks in advance.

IME it doesn't work well.Make sure the crew input your BAEC number in the card reader,and keep your receipt.
I am still fighting for the 60 avios from a transaction in March.I checked all the paperwork,made sure my no was on the printout etc,but still I cannot get credited.Sent off my paperwork weeks ago as well.

layz Aug 31, 2013 2:25 am

If you have a bmi Amex (which since early this year also gives double miles on ba.com and its basic earning rate is better than what the BA Amex gives anyway) you'd be better off handing that over :)

I've not noticed BA Amex or bmi Amex actually give the double points on duty free purchases. You BAEC card should also be swiped as the avios you get from that is in addition to any card spend. As rapidex says you may have difficulties with it posting.

LTN Phobia Aug 31, 2013 3:00 am

Originally Posted by layz (Post 21366887)
You BAEC card should also be swiped as the avios you get from that is in addition to any card spend. As rapidex says you may have difficulties with it posting.

Luckily mine has credited successfully (and automatically) every time in recent months.

Sixth Freedom Aug 31, 2013 3:31 am

I seem to remember that my one experience buying onboard duty free (LGW-RIX, Aug-2006) caused both triple Amex miles and BAEC bonus to appear.

The _Banking_Scot Aug 31, 2013 3:34 am

Hi,

I thought that as Duty Free puchases on board no longer state BA ( another company) you do not get BA Amex bonus avios.

You still earn Avios with your BAEC card

Regards

TBS

LTN Phobia Aug 31, 2013 3:41 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 21367035)
Hi,

I thought that as Duty Free puchases on board no longer state BA ( another company) you do not get BA Amex bonus avios.

My recollection is a little vague but it had a period when it did not, but I think they fixed this so that it attracts extra Avios. It comes up with something like Torvest Duty Free or something like that.

CreativeBill Aug 31, 2013 4:16 am

Yes, it comes up as Tourvest Duty Free, but you do get x3 Avios for it.

I got x3 Avios from Amex and x2 Avios from BA, so x5 Avios total from a purchase on board the other week.

jonnogreig Aug 31, 2013 11:57 am

Originally Posted by CreativeBill (Post 21367129)
Yes, it comes up as Tourvest Duty Free, but you do get x3 Avios for it.

I got x3 Avios from Amex and x2 Avios from BA, so x5 Avios total from a purchase on board the other week.

Thanks. Will try it