Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA award booking (First), flight cancelled, no point refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA award booking (First), flight cancelled, no point refund?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by FAA1996
It seems like a voluntary downgrade to me. They AA flight you were on wasn't flying; you and two options:

A) Take the next AA flight with reward seats available in F
B) Take a voluntary downgrade and get to your destination in time

You chose option B, so the Avios and SkyPesos are icing on the cake.
I tend to agree; but I would expect
A) Take the next AA flight with any seat available in F
+ or
C) full refund

In the case of involuntary cancellations and schedule changes - it shouldn't be necessary for a reward seat to be available.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:00 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FAA1996
A) Take the next AA flight with reward seats available in F
Originally Posted by cmcbugg
I tend to agree; but I would expect
A) Take the next AA flight with any seat available in F
[...] it shouldn't be necessary for a reward seat to be available.
These often amount to the same thing and I'm sure the AA agent wouldn't have limited her/his search to reward buckets. Although OP reported that F was available for one part of the two-segment re-route he was initially offered by AA, as noted above it's normal for F cabins on US domestic flights to be completely full.

What OP actually chose of course is option (C): push to get onto a direct flight with a different carrier and push to get that ticketed in Y to ensure s/he earned a wodge of Delta miles.

Going back to the beginning:

Originally Posted by A5Globetrotter
Need help here on how to proceed.
Drop it. You got where you needed to go on the day you needed to get there. That's my key goal whenever I'm flying short-haul and flights start getting cancelled on me and it would appear to have been yours on the day you describe.

At the end of the day you're down by at worst 5,000 Avios less whatever value the DL miles have to you in your particular requalification situation.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by A5Globetrotter
Thoughts? Is this reasonable? Other way to proceed?
As a very frequent victim of AA's reshuffles I think you did quite well there. You can also have a go asking for some travel coupons from AA customer service. For downgrades its 10cents a mile, with a US$50 minima. I don't think it's right, but I'm clear in my mind that AA is the source of the problem.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Firstly, I'd say it never hurts to ask politely for the 15k Avios in full especially as a frequent flier of many competitors you could have chosen. I tend to agree that if you are downgraded and cancelled through no fault of your own, you are due the difference. You paid, one way or the other, to go from A to B at a specific time in a specific class.

In reality, what you calculate you are owed is 15k, but you got 10k and endorsed on Delta direct and on time (albeit Y), it doesn't seem too bad a result if they refuse the 15k.... I flew AY the other day, they cancelled the flight and put me on a bus. Haven't seen any compensation or apology from them (still fighting!).

No idea how long your flights were. If talking a 3hr+ flight I'd be particularly annoyed.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Was MSP/ORD in Y so bad...it's only 45 mins or so, isn't it? I think the airline were very flexible in rerouting you. You did, in effect, accept a voluntary downgrade - you could have refused it. I'd settle for the 10k plus the Delta miles you got. It's not the end of the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.