Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westminster to T5?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
There is a long walk from Jubilee to Piccadilly at Green Park, tedious at the best of times and worse when lugging bags. The proposed District Line to Baron's Court/Hammersmith merely involves a few steps over the platform.
It's a simple walk though. Up steps . Straight along. Down steps. With luggage go to exit and then down again (as someone else said).

It is the quickest route (honestly). Jubilee to green park then Piccadilly. I do it quite often.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL, BA Silver, VS, BA Amex PP
On the Baron's Court vs Hammersmith debate: if there's no Picc train waiting/pulling in as you get to Baron's Court, or you see a Picc train leaving as you arrive on your District train, stay on the District as there's a fair chance that the District train will catch up on the way to Hammersmith. (I've often been on one or the other between those two stations and the District has a higher top speed which more than makes up for the slower acceleration and the fact it's on the outside of the bend there.) In addition lots of people will alight from the Picc at Hammersmith. On the other hand, if there's a Picc train at Baron's Court, change there as no one will get in your way on the platform and you should be able to get a seat at Hammersmith.

Apologies if this is now too much detail!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Abbey in Westminster, which in effect counts as a cathedral).
But it isn't a cathedral. It is a Royal Peculiar,.

It is under the jurisdiction of the Monarch, not abishop. No bishop, no bishops chair [=cathedra], so not a cathedral.

The it is a city because it has a cathedral/university rule has so many exceptions, it is not very useful.

The next step would be for someone to explain why the british think 'old money' is less confusing than decimalised currency

Generally I don't here anyone talk about Westminster as 'city' , just 'Westminster'

On the OP - I would second the walk to Green Park, then Picadilly line.

Last edited by JohnSnow; Aug 31, 2013 at 3:19 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JohnSnow
But it isn't a cathedral. It is a Royal Peculiar,.

It is under the jurisdiction of the Monarch, not abishop. No bishop, no bishops chair [=cathedra], so not a cathedral.

The it is a city because it has a cathedral/university rule has so many exceptions, it is not very useful.

The next step would be for someone to explain why the british think 'old money' is less confusing than decimalised currency

Generally I don't here anyone talk about Westminster as 'city' , just 'Westminster'

On the OP - I would second the walk to Green Park, then Picadilly line.
Which I fully recognise that the Abbey is not a cathedral as I say in effect. But it is such a significant centre of worship worthy of such a a significant settlement and indicative of that settlement's status as a city in it's own right.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
fair point.

and another fair point, which we both perhaps missued up until now is that seperate from the Abbey, there is a Westminster Cathedral, though it is a realtively much more mdoern construction
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JimboandtheJetset
Apologies if this is now too much detail!
I simply thought for a moment that I was on the BD board.

Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I simply thought for a moment that I was on the BD board.

The BD board would also specify the type of trains used on the district and Piccadilly lines.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by layz
The BD board would also specify the type of trains used on the district and Piccadilly lines.
Jubilee line has the best trains.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by layz
District: Currently D stock to be replaced by S7 stock; Piccadilly 1973 stock.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JohnSnow
and another fair point, which we both perhaps missued up until now is that seperate from the Abbey, there is a Westminster Cathedral, though it is a realtively much more mdoern construction
Indeed! ^

And it is quite close to me so that I sometimes see it when walking around.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Originally Posted by jib71
Yup. Apologies for the "madness". Just looked at the website to see how the City of Westminster refers to itself ... and it never calls itself "the borough" - always "the city"
Unless, of course, you telephone the Council Tax office. Where you will not only hear it referred to as the Borough, but the Borough of Westminister.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Indeed! ^

And it is quite close to me so that I sometimes see it when walking around.
Are we neighbours?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Jubilee line has the best trains.
I absolutely hate the Jubilee line trains. The noise they make on startup and just before stopping drives me crazy.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by BA6501
I absolutely hate the Jubilee line trains. The noise they make on startup and just before stopping drives me crazy.

Three phase motors with regenerative breaking. Quite common on new trains.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 2009 Victoria line trains don't do that! I demand compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.