Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Dirty Trick" against British Airways by FT's Sarah Steeger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:25 am

Not doing the site any favours having that drivel on the front page.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
I hear the Daily Mail is hiring, this style of "writing" would be perfect for their rag.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I'd have been so embarrassed if I missed a flight because I misread a time that I wouldn't even tell my family, let alone the entire FT population.

I think this is a simple case of someone being embarrassed and trying to apportion the blame elsewhere. Grasping at straws.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Who is this woman? Is she a flight attendant? For what airline? American flight attendant based in the UK?

Is she a writer?

Am confused?

She'd better not fly from the Gulf as all or most of the flights are in the wee hrs of dawn.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by b100cks
Personal attacks against stupidity should be always encouraged to avoid leveling down the discussion.
Never argue with a stupid person, though. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Yahillwe

She'd better not fly from the Gulf as all or most of the flights are in the wee hrs of dawn.
Indeed. The regular occurrence in Bahrain (BA flight to London leaves at anything between 0100 and 0210 through the year) is that a businessperson instructs their secretary or travel company to "book me a flight on Thursday night" and the booker just books 0100 on Thursday instead of 0100 on Friday. Normally they are good about accommodating the passenger but it does happen often.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
Not so much getting the day wrong but not realising they need to turn up the day before. Same goes for most flights that depart after midnight.
That was indeed the explanation I was given. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:41 am

Read the article and thought it's her fault - as most of us have.

My issue with the article however isn't the general tone but the use of 'dirty trick'.

If you remove this phrase and replace it with a less emotive line such as BA's use of 24hr clock' it changes the balence to a reasaonble pop corn article
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by oscietra
I'm really disappointed this sensationalist article got through FT's editorial process:

http://www.flyertalk.com/the-hub/is-...new-trick.html
If there is an "editorial process", it seems to be the selection of sensationalist, hyperbolic articles.

The vast majority of articles hosted on the main page of this site are an embarrassment.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oscietra
Er, I'm certain you meant to write "populus"
and I'm even more certain that you meant to write "populace".

Populus isn't even a word....
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
This thread has gained 3300 odd views.
I Guess the main article will have more.
You have to pay the bills somehow. Pointless articles that will attract publicity will do that.

Its almost straight out of the Ryanair PR handbook.

Naughty FT!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's hope that lady never decides to attempt a Ryanair flight, then. My God! Imagine all the things that would go wrong! And the thousands of pounds in fees and charges they would extract from her...

In fact, Ryanair should add an additional "12-hour/24-hour clock fee", so that they can issue tickets and confirmation using the passenger's choice of AM/PM or 24-hour timings.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
So how many avios should she get?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay

Very unfortunate. if this lady has experience in travel writing it must be us centric. 24 hour clock is used pretty much everywhere outside the US.. in terms of transport anyway.

Either that or she is hard of thinking.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Never argue with a stupid person, though. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.