Looking for advice on this itinerary

Old Aug 28, 13, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Looking for advice on this itinerary

I'm trying to get from PNH-GLA (using BA) and it's not an easy route. The best I could come up with is:

MI: PNH-SIN
BA: SIN-LHR-GLA

On the return flight I will only have 75 minutes in SIN between the MI and BA flight. I have read that 75 minutes is more than enough time in SIN. However, I would really like to get the extra miles credit by purchasing the BA portion of this flight with my BA card (will net me an extra ~2000 miles). If I purchase these flights separately I won't get them on the same itinerary, which seems risky with that connection time.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys might have about this. Should I let go of those miles and book this with a travel agent? Can a travel agent even put this on one ticket?
Old Aug 28, 13, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by giblet View Post
Can a travel agent even put this on one ticket?
Test your itinerary on matrix.itasoftware.com - if it will price there, a travel agent should be able to do it.

Of course, if a travel agent can do it, BA should be able to do it. You just need to phone to ask.
Old Aug 28, 13, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I found it on ITA, but there it prices at $2600. If I look up the fares individually it's $1500. The MI segment seems to be pricing incorrectly. I'm not sure if that means BA would be able to book it or not.
Old Aug 28, 13, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found it on ITA, but there it prices at $2600. If I look up the fares individually it's $1500. The MI segment seems to be pricing incorrectly.
There's probably nothing incorrect about it.

The reason is likely to be that the cheaper MI fare that you can buy separately is not combinable with any BA fare. If you want to put them on one ticket, you have to buy fares that are combinable. Often, that means that you have to buy fares that are more expensive than those you can buy on their own. You get benefits from buying combinable fares on one ticket, like contractual baggage through-check and misconnection protection, but you often have to pay for these.

If that's the reason, then BA won't sell it. I expect that travel agents selling published fares won't sell it, either. Of course, you might find a local travel agent in Phnom Penh who could do better using net fares, if you know any trustworthy ones.
Old Aug 28, 13, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps. But I have noticed that ITA prices are often incorrect for international fares, even when it's only one airline.

Do you think it's too risky to this on two tickets?
Old Aug 29, 13, 2:36 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Perhaps. But I have noticed that ITA prices are often incorrect for international fares, even when it's only one airline.

Do you think it's too risky to this on two tickets?
ITA isn't incorrect, it is more likely that the airlines cheaper international fare isn't published (Cathay is one example).
Old Aug 29, 13, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Following on from what nux says, is the original (separate) MI fare shown on ITA if you price that sector alone?

If it isn't, then nux's explanation covers that. If the lower MI fare is not published, then you're unlikely easily to get either BA or a travel agent to combine that on one ticket.

And in a case such as this, you have to be careful about what is "one ticket". Some travel agents will happily put itineraries like this onto one booking and give you one (agency) booking reference, but actually write the tickets separately. If they're separate tickets, you have no protection even if the agency put them onto a single booking.
Old Aug 29, 13, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Can you combine with Bangkok Airways on this route? Saves a bit of a detour...

You don't give any details as to dates etc, but ITA shows a QR fare for $880 one way all the way through (or KL for $1400 round trip). You could then use the difference to buy whatever miles you want/need to compensate for those you don't get booking through or flying on BA.....

Infact for the random dates I plugged in there's an AF/KL round trip fare into Edinburgh for just $1115 (sept 18-Oct 2)

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Aug 29, 13 at 3:07 am
Old Aug 29, 13, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Following on from what nux says, is the original (separate) MI fare shown on ITA if you price that sector alone?
It's shown, but at $1,537, which is preposterous for a 2 hour float in coach. I can't get it to price at that fare on the MI website, so I don't really know what that means.

And I would prefer not to use a PNH-based travel agent because I think I will likely encounter the problem you are talking about.
Old Aug 29, 13, 3:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
It's shown, but at $1,537, which is preposterous for a 2 hour float in coach. I can't get it to price at that fare on the MI website, so I don't really know what that means.
Then that may well be their lowest published fare, which most likely is a more flexible fare than you're seeing on their website.
This likely won't show on the MI website if they offer cheaper unpublished fares.
Old Aug 29, 13, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
Can you combine with Bangkok Airways on this route? Saves a bit of a detour...

You don't give any details as to dates etc, but ITA shows a QR fare for $880 one way all the way through (or KL for $1400 round trip). You could then use the difference to buy whatever miles you want/need to compensate for those you don't get booking through or flying on BA.....
When I was looking at various options most included a long layover. The Bangkok Airways flights show on ITA at $600 (as opposed to $300 on their site) and require a 4 hour layover in BKK on both sides, which just makes the trip a lot longer.

I'm looking to go PNH-GLA anytime between Oct 7-16th. I'll be returning from London Dec 2-4. I don't care whether I get the return flight from LHR or do a stopover from GLA for a few days on the return (I want to spend a weekend in London on the way home, but can take the train down there). I'm flying in economy (ugh) and trying to get the whole thing for under $1500.

I'm sure there are better options than what I have come up with, but I feel like I have done every possible search and my brain is melting. I wish I had a good travel agent over here!
Old Aug 29, 13, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you're overcomplicating this.

The QR website shows PNH-LON-PNH for $900. Book that, then even if you buy a fully flexible LHR-GLA (which comes with lounge access) you're going to be miles under the $1500 target. Spend the $300 you save on BA miles and i'm sure you'll still come out ahead.

It's not going to be the fastest on the outbound, but you'll save a packet and can book the most critical part direct with QR.

They were also quoting PNH-GLA-PNH for $1020 but I can't get their website to quote for an open jaw...
Old Aug 29, 13, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
The QR website shows PNH-LON-PNH for $900. Book that, then even if you buy a fully flexible LHR-GLA (which comes with lounge access) you're going to be miles under the $1500 target. Spend the $300 you save on BA miles and i'm sure you'll still come out ahead.
I think that is before taxes, when I price it I get $1,434. Will QR be in Oneworld by then? I am hoping to earn miles for this trip, but I'm flexible on which alliance (but OW is my fave).

I don't mind getting a ticket into LHR, I have Avios to get to GLA with.
Old Aug 29, 13, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad - I had assumed that the QR fare was all in.

I don't think QR is due to join before the end of the year.

So it looks like you have a choice....

1) KLM via BKK, c. $1600
2) QR as far as LHR c. $1450

or

3) get to BKK and pick up BA from there to GLA for $1200.

If you're eager to get the miles, then (3) is probably the way to go. Assuming you use two separate tickets then you'll need to waste a few hrs in BKK on the way out and back, but the prices are pretty even across the board.
Old Aug 29, 13, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help, Swiss Tony. I would like to get miles so BA seems like the best option. I haven't flow BA long-haul in a few years but I remember it as being relatively painless.

Doing Bangkok Air to BKK gives me a four hour layover on each side. With this ticket I won't be able to connect the flight to the BA flight on the same ticket, I assume, because the published fare is $600 as opposed to the unpublished of $300. So I am not sure if that's better than the Silk Air to Singapore option, which gives me an hour layover one way and 1,45 the other.

Either way I'm going to be screwed if one of the flights runs very late. I don't know if I'm overthinking this or if all the itineraries possible just seem less than ideal in one way or another!

Search this Thread