Most Effcient Way to Collect Avios

Old Aug 28, 13, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD
Most Effcient Way to Collect Avios

Hi,

Apologies for asking this question, I know the answer will be somewhere on FT but I'm short on time.

I wish to book a LHR-JFK flight for the family, there are four of us. Can anyone comment on the most efficient way to collect Avios? I have an account but the rest of the family don't.

Would a Household Account be the best answer?

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 13, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, United, HH, club Carlson
Originally Posted by tourcd View Post
Hi,

Apologies for asking this question, I know the answer will be somewhere on FT but I'm short on time.

I wish to book a LHR-JFK flight for the family, there are four of us. Can anyone comment on the most efficient way to collect Avios? I have an account but the rest of the family don't.

Thanks
For a household account each member listed needs a BAEC account. Unless you open an account for all the family members and then detail each BAEC number under each flight detail, you will currently be the only family member who will collect tp and avios. If u open an account for each member, link them all in the one household acc and u will get your pool of points there together while each retaining their own individual accounts also
Old Aug 28, 13, 5:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

Yes, it would. While each of you would retain an individual account and will progress through status individually, the Avios will be pooled. 4 LHR-JFK tickets is a substantial amount of Avios.
Old Aug 28, 13, 5:43 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Additionally American Express Credit cards offer opportunities

Additionally you can think abut applying for an American Express Card. *Most* of the cards collect Amex Membership Rewards points which can be transferred to Avios in increments from 1,000 points onward.

Or you use an Americen Express co-branded credit card with BA, e.g. within the market of UK:

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...airline,credit

or

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...Plus-LearnMore

These cards deliver additional MR reward points respectively Avios for nearly every purchase.

Hope this helps.

P.S. (Amended):
With these options American Express delivers two completely different loyalty programmes and opportunities. One is a kind of direct transfer to Avios with a co-branded xcredit card. The other is the collection of Mr reward points with no expiration dates and transfer opportunities to many partners like airlines, hotels and many more.

Last edited by gum; Aug 28, 13 at 5:52 am
Old Aug 28, 13, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue, Hilton Gold
On the basis that you are unlikely to gather the Avios overnight for 4 tickets to New York, to say
I know the answer will be somewhere on FT but I'm short on time.
is a bit rich!

Whilst a HHA accout has benefits, it does also mean you can't use your Avios for anyone outside your HHA. Also, which class are you wanting to book the tickets? It probably isn't worth the hassle for World Traveller, but upgrading using Avios from WT+ to Club World is a great use of Avios. However, if you want to use Avios for the whole ticket a BA AmEx card is probably worthwhile in order to get the companion ticket when you spend 10,000.

Finally, I hope that you aren't too fussy about dates, as availability can be quite patchy.
Old Aug 28, 13, 7:16 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Hi,

Thanks
Book through www.tescotravelstore.com and give your Clubcard number. You get 1 point for every pound. Then convert your Clubcard vouchers to AVIOS (GBP2.50 gets you 600 Avios). Note, they don't give the points until 6 weeks after you return and you sometimes have to chase them up!!

Last edited by MichaelBaku; Aug 28, 13 at 11:06 am

Search this Thread