Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA imposing fuel surcharges on AA rewards [false alarm, storm in a tea cup etc etc]

AA imposing fuel surcharges on AA rewards [false alarm, storm in a tea cup etc etc]

Old Aug 28, 13, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG

According to this report http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...antage-awards/ , American is to impose fuel surcharges on AA international redemptions from today.

This is very bad news for Avios reward availability.

At present, AA flyers tend not to redeem on BA (despite the massively better inflight experience) because AA does not have a fuel surcharge and BA does.

Going forward, it seems there will be no taxes difference for an AA member between a BA and an AA redemption. AA members would be expected to vote with their feet.

Of course, this means - de facto - more space on AA flights to the US freed up. However, as you cannot use an Amex voucher on AA flights, 241 holders are stuffed.
Old Aug 28, 13, 3:34 am

Is the YQ the same between BA and AA?

I recently looked at the YQ for a IAH-LHR-IAD and it was over $900 in Club World. As part of the JBA, do AA and BA harmonise the levels of YQ as well?
Old Aug 28, 13, 3:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

I've added an "unconfirmed" suffix to the thread title, for now

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Aug 28, 13, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
No problem - once it is confirmed we will hear the howling from the AA board anyway!
Old Aug 28, 13, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Will make no difference on most routes not going to north america though!

You will still be able to burn that 241 if you adhere to Sixth Freedom's three laws of FFP redemptions:

i) only redeem in premium
ii) if you have specific dates and flights in mind, that is what cash is for
iii) if you are sufficiently flexible you will always find value for your Avios.
Old Aug 28, 13, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Is BA Club better than the new AA business class (which is the same as Cathay's)?
Old Aug 28, 13, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc View Post
Is BA Club better than the new AA business class (which is the same as Cathay's)?
BA CW is much better than AA old style business class.

AA business Class on the 77W is better than BA CW (esp on any 777).

BA Lounges are better, AA food is often better (book before you fly), BA Wine is better, BA crew are sometimes better, AA amenity kit is better. Other factors come into play depending on route eg Sleeper Service etc.

If it's just the seat you're worried about, go with AA but ONLY on the 77W. 62/64 A/K on a BA 744 would swing it to BA for me though. Jury is still out on BA's 787 and A380 due later in the year.
Old Aug 28, 13, 4:50 am
NTA

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
At present, AA flyers tend not to redeem on BA (despite the massively better inflight experience)
It sounds like it's been a while since you've travelled AA - the new J product blows BA away in most areas (BA is still better if you've got little kids as the AA seats are too private & far apart from each other to keep control of them).

Sure, the new product only flies from London to Dallas, New York & Los Angeles but it's going to be rolled out to their other routes (and the existing routes are pretty popular!) - once this happens, I can't see AA collectors redeeming on BA once the YQ is harmonised.

BA CW works because BA either have the best flight times, or the best fares once you take account of the Avios. I don't think this change means the sky is falling in for Avios collectors (though it is dooming AA collectors to thousands of dollars of extra costs )

Compare and contrast these videos of American Airlines' New Business Class to British Airways' New Business Class - if the fares and miles collected are the same, there is very little reason to pick BA over AA, and plenty of reasons to pick AA.

I think this change is great news for Avios collectors, as AA redeemers start spending their points on things other than AA international travel, freeing up award space availability for Avios collectors.
Old Aug 28, 13, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NTA View Post
It sounds like it's been a while since you've travelled AA - the new J product blows BA away in most areas (BA is still better if you've got little kids as the AA seats are too private & far apart from each other to keep control of them).

Sure, the new product only flies from London to Dallas, New York & Los Angeles but it's going to be rolled out to their other routes (and the existing routes are pretty popular!) - once this happens, I can't see AA collectors redeeming on BA once the YQ is harmonised.

BA CW works because BA either have the best flight times, or the best fares once you take account of the Avios. I don't think this change means the sky is falling in for Avios collectors (though it is dooming AA collectors to thousands of dollars of extra costs )

Compare and contrast these videos of American Airlines' New Business Class to British Airways' New Business Class - if the fares and miles collected are the same, there is very little reason to pick BA over AA, and plenty of reasons to pick AA.

I think this change is great news for Avios collectors, as AA redeemers start spending their points on things other than AA international travel, freeing up award space availability for Avios collectors.
That last line seems like a beggar-thy-neighbor approach that served the world so well in the Great Depression years.

Were AA to impose AA fuel surcharges on AA flights to LHR and were those amounts comparable to BA's fuel surcharges on BA flights, it would motivate me to use my AA miles for BA TATL flights in order to try to avoid some inter-terminal transits.
Old Aug 28, 13, 5:41 am

Programs: Some, not all.
I'm not seeing the YQ americanairlines.co.uk, LHR-ORD in business is coming out at £188 in taxes which sounds about right.

However this will be a major blow if a US frequent flyer programs start charging YQ on awards. This is little to do with fuel costs and is no more than a co-pay on award tickets.
Old Aug 28, 13, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Fortunately a false alarm as confirmed by AA in this thread over in the AAdvantage forum

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines View Post
Confirming the reports shared by linglingfool and incognitoMD, here's the latest update on the issue being discussed within this thread.

Last night, in a routine effort to better align American to industry standards with other global carriers, American began collecting carrier-imposed surcharges on tickets for travel on other carrier’s metal. This change was intended for revenue tickets only, but the surcharge was erroneously added to AAdvantage award redemptions on other airlines as well. Except in the cases of British Airways and Iberia (where American currently collects these surcharges), no carrier-imposed surcharges will be applied when redeeming AAdvantage miles for award travel on other carriers. Any customers who encountered this fee in error will be fully refunded.
Old Aug 28, 13, 1:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

At present, AA flyers tend not to redeem on BA (despite the massively better inflight experience) because AA does not have a fuel surcharge and BA does.

Search this Thread