Discounts on BA Holidays ?

Old Aug 27, 13, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

I am thinking of booking a hotel through BA Holidays (same price and far better cancellation terms than booking directly, through Expedia etc.) and wondered if there is any discount to be had on such bookings.

It seems the shareholders' discount doesn't work, Topcashback is only a miserly 2.1% and Avios redemption rates are absurdly uncompetitive.

Any other tips appreciated.

Does the BA PP Amex at least award 3x Avios on such bookings ?
Old Aug 27, 13, 4:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 View Post
I am thinking of booking a hotel through BA Holidays (same price and far better cancellation terms than booking directly, through Expedia etc.) and wondered if there is any discount to be had on such bookings.

It seems the shareholders' discount doesn't work, Topcashback is only a miserly 2.1% and Avios redemption rates are absurdly uncompetitive.

Any other tips appreciated.

Does the BA PP Amex at least award 3x Avios on such bookings ?
Sometimes BA Hotels (BA holidays) offer some really decent deals. I managed to book the Langham in HKG in February with free breakfast and free internet thrown in as well as a 20% discount iirc. The other websites, expedia, hotels.com, hotel direct etc. etc. just weren't offering anything.

I've booked a fair number of Hotels via BA Hols over the years and they can be excellent value including a couple I recently booked for NY and at JFK.

Booking a flight + hotel as a package also attracts some very good offers too.

However in answer to your specific question no additional discount though (as far as I am aware) and the price you see is the price you pay, just present the voucher on arrival.

BA Premium card does pay 3 x Avios (and states)

3 Avios for virtually every 1 you spend direct with British Airways or BA Holidays

I did this with my BAPP card a few years ago in Mauritius and received a handsome sum of Avios as well as reaching over halfway for my 241.

Pete
Old Aug 28, 13, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Don't forget to monitor that you also get your bonus Avios for booking a BA holiday on top of those you get for flights and spend. I recently noticed that I had not received 5,000 Avios bonus for a short break via BA Holidays where I flew in CE to Dubrovnik.
Old Aug 28, 13, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by higham44 View Post
Don't forget to monitor that you also get your bonus Avios for booking a BA holiday on top of those you get for flights and spend. I recently noticed that I had not received 5,000 Avios bonus for a short break via BA Holidays where I flew in CE to Dubrovnik.
Thanks, but could you please clarify ? If I book a hotel only, should I also expect some Avios from BA direct ?
Old Aug 28, 13, 2:28 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by higham44 View Post
Is the bonus for using the Amex or just for booking a BA Holiday?
Old Aug 28, 13, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 View Post
Thanks, but could you please clarify ? If I book a hotel only, should I also expect some Avios from BA direct ?
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb
Old Aug 28, 13, 5:45 am

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
So it looks like you need to book flight + hotel to get the bonus.

I wasn't aware of the bonus and am very pleased. I had to come to Seoul at short notice this week - the flights were of course expensive at short notice, but booking the hotel (The Park Hyatt Seoul) as part of the deal has actually reduced the cost by 250, meaning the hotel is better than free, plus now an additional 10k Avios.. an amazing deal.
Old Aug 28, 13, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver / LeAccor - Silver
You can also get Cashback (Currently 2%, but changes often) if you book it through Quidco.

Cliffy

Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
Sometimes BA Hotels (BA holidays) offer some really decent deals. I managed to book the Langham in HKG in February with free breakfast and free internet thrown in as well as a 20% discount iirc. The other websites, expedia, hotels.com, hotel direct etc. etc. just weren't offering anything.

I've booked a fair number of Hotels via BA Hols over the years and they can be excellent value including a couple I recently booked for NY and at JFK.

Booking a flight + hotel as a package also attracts some very good offers too.

However in answer to your specific question no additional discount though (as far as I am aware) and the price you see is the price you pay, just present the voucher on arrival.

BA Premium card does pay 3 x Avios (and states)

3 Avios for virtually every 1 you spend direct with British Airways or BA Holidays

I did this with my BAPP card a few years ago in Mauritius and received a handsome sum of Avios as well as reaching over halfway for my 241.

Pete
Old Aug 28, 13, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by seegs View Post
Is the bonus for using the Amex or just for booking a BA Holiday?
Booking BA holiday
Old Aug 28, 13, 4:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
So it looks like you need to book flight + hotel to get the bonus.

I wasn't aware of the bonus and am very pleased. I had to come to Seoul at short notice this week - the flights were of course expensive at short notice, but booking the hotel (The Park Hyatt Seoul) as part of the deal has actually reduced the cost by 250, meaning the hotel is better than free, plus now an additional 10k Avios.. an amazing deal.
Yes sometimes when the flights can show as very expensive on their own it can be advantageous and save quite a few quid to book a package even if you are not going to use the products.

The Hotel (maybe you can't find it ) or booking a 'flight + car' (which you may forget to pick up ) also qualifies for the bonus Avios. Sometimes there is a minimum stay for hotels though.

Originally Posted by cliffy97 View Post
You can also get Cashback (Currently 2%, but changes often) if you book it through Quidco.

Cliffy

Cheers Cliffy, I didn't know that.
Old Aug 28, 13, 6:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
And if you book at Topcashback then you get 2.1% cash back as well.

Also if you book a package holiday you can pay a deposit of 150/300 and the balance 10 weeks before departure.

Am currently waiting for BA to define "criteria, package and who decides if it is a package that qualifies for the discount or a flight plus added hotel which doesn't" after trying to book a trip yesterday. to be told it doesn't qualify for deposit or discount.

Have had some great bargains this year, with CE bookings (Prague & Dubrovnik), the former, 3 nights in a very good hotel was cheaper than the lowest CE fare for flight only.
Old Aug 30, 13, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay

The website says either bonus avios or low deposit. Can anyone confirm that it is either/or?
Old Aug 30, 13, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club, SPG
Incidentally - lastminute.com have a discount code through Topcashback of 15% off Hotel bookings over 500 + an additional 2% cashback, I believe.

Which worked out pretty well for me - as a hotel in I wanted to book for my holiday next year was coming in at over 1500 originally (so saved over 250)

Cancellation terms were the hotels normal ones.

Search this Thread