Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight cancelled--how much money do I get back???

Old Aug 27, 13, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Some of you'll probably remember: At the end of May a BA A320 had left its engine doors unlatched, returned to LHR and made an emergeny landing. Unfortunately I had booked a flight with BA from LHR back home to HAM and it got cancelled. I got left in a queue for 4 hours and in the end some angry BA-staff told us that they can't help us and we should book our hotels ourselves and rebook whatever flight we could book, to get back home and then BA would pay it back.

Now I finally wanna get my money back for this and I was asking myself if I could maybe even get some reimbursement for the more than 24-hour delay! Does anyone of you know, whether this is possible or am I just gonna get the money back I had to pay for the hotel, my flight to DUS and the train from DUS to HAM and some food?
Old Aug 27, 13, 2:13 pm

I am sorry but did I get this right - you want to make a claim for an incident that happened back in May, now???
Old Aug 27, 13, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I cant understand why after 3 months you are considering a claim

if you have had not contacted BA with regard to this matter I do not think they will even consider your claim
Old Aug 27, 13, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

I know that I am late, by I don't see why I shouldn't still get my money back. I had to learn for exams and I am probably not the best organised person. But I do still have all the receipts.
Old Aug 27, 13, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
its worth giving it a shot but I think you may be on a sticky wicket

im sure somewhere in BA t&c's there will be something about time limits
Old Aug 27, 13, 3:12 pm

I don't see how a three month delay in claiming for this should make a difference. You should ask at least for the extra cost you had. I would also ask for the EU compensation for cancelled flights (given the latch thing was very much within BA's control).

Best of luck and do report back how much you got (in a few months... )
Old Aug 27, 13, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Limitation period for a contract claim is generally 6 years so I don't think a 3 month delay makes any difference to your ability to make a claim and people delay doing so for all kinds of reasons. So long as you have all your receipts to support your claim I say go for it and good luck.

1F
Old Aug 27, 13, 4:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
On the few occasions I've sought reimbursement for problems from BA, I've sometimes been a few months late. If you're on the road constantly you can arrange your life around known events and known processes, ad hoc things, even easy ones, get tricky. [One Godsend is PC2Paper.co.uk, it allows you to "post" letters through the Royal Mail via the internet, but that's a digression].

And so long as you have claimed a reasonable amount I find BA are quite quick and don't mind you effectively lending them money interest-free. Log into BAEC, go to the Help and Contacts bit in dark blue at the bottom, and that will give you the most appropriate mailing address to send in receipts. They do need to see them in my experience, so to get it down in one swoop, post them a letter with the receipts, keeping a copy for your own records.

Search this Thread