Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flying AMS-LHR-JFK with an o'night at LHR can I check in extra bags at LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)

I have an ex-EU trip coming up next month - positioning out to AMS in the morning, then beginning the ex-EU trip that evening back to LHR, overnighting at the Sofitel, then onto JFK the next morning. The AMS-LHR-JFK trip is on one ticket.

Originally I had planned to check in all the bags at Heathrow on the way out, leave them at AMS while we have lunch, then recheck them in in the evening AMS-LHR-JFK.

Can we in fact leave them in the car at Heathrow, do the day trip with no bags (so effectively checking in zero bags at AMS at the beginning of the ex-EU), then check in the whole lot on the second leg of the ex-EU, from LHR to JFK the following day?

Hope this makes sense....
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yes you can. I did this earlier this year on an ex-EU.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Can we in fact leave them in the car at Heathrow, do the day trip with no bags (so effectively checking in zero bags at AMS at the beginning of the ex-EU), then check in the whole lot on the second leg of the ex-EU, from LHR to JFK the following day?
Yes, but wouldn't it be easier to take all the bags from the car to T5, put them in left luggage either for the duration of the LHR-AMS-LHR on the first day, or overnight so as to collect them just before you check in for LHR-JFK? It will cost you a little bit, but it might be worth it for the hassle of not having to go back to the car after you get back from AMS.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Depends on how many bags. £8.50 each from memory might be worth going back to the car for.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Could you not ask the Sofitel to hold them for you? Drop them off before the trip to AMS and then collect them at hotel check in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.