BA flight as part of a package holiday

Old Aug 27, 13, 10:53 am
Original Poster

BA flight as part of a package holiday

I have booked a flight/ cruise package with P&O flying to Barbados on a scheduled BA flight from Gatwick.

First question is will I be able to credit air miles for this return flight to my EC account , and secondly is there any point in trying to get an upgrade from economy using my air miles?

The other option maybe to get an upgrade deal (cash) at check in assuming, of course, there is availability

Anyone done this before ?
Old Aug 27, 13, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Normally you can get Avios for these journeys, but certain inclusive tour fares or other heavily discounted bookings might not be eligible.

It is not possible to upgrade with Avios from World Traveller unless you are booked in H class or higher, which it is almost a racing certainty that you are not.

You may be able to upgrade with money at online check-in or at the airport.
Old Aug 27, 13, 11:04 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
When you receive your confirmed flight details put the PNR (ba booking reference) in and you can then add your card details.

It may or may not credit some AVIOS (AIRMILES) - if the fare was part of a package it sometimes doesn't.

You can't upgrade from these fares with AVIOS either.

When you have entered the PNR on ba.com it will tell you if it is willing to sell you a cheap upgrade beforehand... a special offer to premium economy would be around the 179.00 mark (each way)

It is also possible to upgrade to Premium economy on the day at Gatick subject to space. Similar costing, but might sneak up to 249.00

BA.COM may offer you a full-fare upgrade which may well be in the 1,000.00 mark......

It is always worth putting your exec. card number in the booking, even at the lowest level (When I was a blue I was upgraded to Club a few times.)

Also consider paying to assign a good seat in the cabin you are flying in... You could also pay for an extra leg room seat nearer the departure date.

Let us know how it works out?
Old Aug 27, 13, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As pointed out by stifle you will probably not be booked in a class eligible for upgrade. You might be better off contacting the tour operator to see how much they might charge to fly you in WTP or CW, sometimes the tour operator offers a supplement to travel in a different cabin.
Old Aug 27, 13, 11:32 am
Original Poster

thanks for the prompt responses guys. I'll check with P&O if they have any deals on upgrades, and failing that when I get the PNR details I'll see what BA might offer.

After doing the last few European flights in Club (reward flights etc) ,and previously flying long haul in Club, I am really not looking forward to long haul in economy
Old Aug 27, 13, 11:38 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Don't forget you can pay for an exit seat.... If I was offered a middle seat in WT+ or an exit row.... I would pick the exit!!
Old Aug 27, 13, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
You can only pay for a seat once it's ticketed though and these sorts of packages tend to ticket quite late.

Search this Thread