FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Cancel Partner Award Online? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1497470-cancel-partner-award-online.html)

pokee Aug 26, 2013 9:04 am

Cancel Partner Award Online?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have some very specific questions regarding a cancellation I need to make.

I've booked two tickets online on CX with my Avios. I need to cancel my award tickets (they are for Thursday, so I am within the 24 hours required to cancel).

Can I cancel my tickets online too? Is it better if I call to cancel? From what I've read, it looks like I will be charged a fee if I call?

I also have a situation with my credit card used to make the transaction has been transferred to a new card (same account; new card). I will be expecting a refund of the taxes (~$300). I called the credit card company (RBC) and they assured me that any refunds processed on the old card should appear on the new card.

Also, how does the refund work? Will my cancellation charges ($40 x 2) and fee(s) be applied to my refund, making my refund less, or will they go through in a separate charge? If it is a separate charge, the transaction will fail because the card on file is no longer active.

I would welcome any other advice on cancelling my award tickets as this is my first time with BA.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 26, 2013 10:38 am

Best to cancel online if it lets you, it is the most certain way of doing it, and you get an email at the end. You will get the money refunded faster that way, within a few days. Most credit card companies that I've dealt with put in place automatic links for transferring funds in this situation. To cancel online you will need the full number of the card you made the booking.

If you mucked about with the booking, have a complex routing, or made it initially on the telephone, it would not surprise me if you can't cancel online so you will have to call. However if you have already paid a telephone fee, that is only charged once per booking per person, the cancellation fee is separate, and not avoidable however you do it. If the fee is greater than the actual cash you spent then they won't come looking for more.

pokee Aug 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks...I'll cancel online then.

pokee Aug 27, 2013 9:06 am

I cancelled online this morning. It was super fast and efficient. You are right - they did require me to enter the card number I used to pay for taxes. Only $40 to cancel each ticket - no fee. That's the cheapest amount of money I've ever paid to cancel a flight - and the easiest. With Aeroplan, I needed to hold the line for an hour and pay a hefty $90+tax to cancel each ticket, plus they have a 2-week cancel deadline.

BA is definitely the best reward program going. Clearly I need to dump Aeroplan...

corporate-wage-slave Aug 27, 2013 9:09 am

Originally Posted by pokee (Post 21343852)
BA is definitely the best reward program going. Clearly I need to dump Aeroplan...

Mmm, well there may be a few naysayers, but it works for some of us.... I'm glad the cancellation went through, though hopefully next time you can actually get some flying in too!

Globalist Sep 1, 2013 3:02 am

Tried to cancel a BA Award booking on CX booking today via MMB (I have time, the flight is 2 weeks from now).

Clicked cancel, entered credit card number, needed to enter additional details and when completed got an error "Username needs to be between 7 and 70 characters". Now I never had to enter a user name and I am logged into to BAEC?

Anyway, trying again and it askes for an e-voucher umber (125-82xxxxx) I don't have an e-voucher number. I have an e-ticket number that starts with 125 but not followed by 82.

So I am stuck in Singapore, not being able to call my home call centre in Amsterdam for help.

Seems BAEC has some actions to look into.
24hr Support for BAEC members
Lounge access rules
Qualify of offerings in lounges.

I used to look forward flying with BA, I still fly but look forward less and do choose other alliances as well.

<rant over>

Globalist

pokee Sep 3, 2013 10:53 am

What is MMB? Maybe that's the issue? It was all very straight-forward for me, and I had my refund within 3 days...

jerry a. laska Sep 3, 2013 11:12 am

Originally Posted by pokee (Post 21382160)
What is MMB? Maybe that's the issue? It was all very straight-forward for me, and I had my refund within 3 days...

MMB = Manage My Booking.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13303024-post3.html