CW Upgrade via Avios

Old Aug 26, 13, 5:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
CW Upgrade via Avios

Thanks to all the great advice on these forums I have managed to get an Avios upgrade from WT+ to CW.

Having booked I am now worried that booking does not mention lounge access at T5. Is anyone able to confirm either way for me please?

Many thanks.
woodards is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 5:22 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Global
Programs: OWS IHG Spire
Posts: 431
You will have no problems. CW gives automatic Galleries access, There are 2 in T5A and 1 in T5B (usually quiet) but nothing in T5C. Enjoy your trip.
The bubbly stuff is only available upon request in above lounges.
Engineering Travel is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 5:26 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,135
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel View Post
... but nothing in T5C.
You can get up to 15 worth of food and drink per person at Starbucks in T5C - just show your boarding pass at the till.
Steve_ZA is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 5:35 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,449
Welcome to FT!

Don't worry, you will get access to the lounge and no one will know that you are a cheapskate on an Avios upgrade. Apart from the Tesco hat you will be made to wear of course .
SteveF is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 5:41 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Global
Programs: OWS IHG Spire
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA View Post
You can get up to 15 worth of food and drink per person at Starbucks in T5C - just show your boarding pass at the till.
Good point, but would recommend max time in Galleries T5B before moving to T5C.

Slightly OT, how does this work for OW Sapphire traveling in WT or WT+ departing T5C?
Engineering Travel is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 5:54 am
  #6  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,673
Welcome woodards

Originally Posted by woodards View Post
Thanks to all the great advice on these forums I have managed to get an Avios upgrade from WT+ to CW.
Well done, and welcome woodards! Welcome to the BA forum on Flyertalk, I'm guessing you've been lurking for a while and have now taken the plunge. Well it's good to see you here, please stick around and tell us how it goes.

Yes definitely lounge access, it's part of the CW package, no issues at all, you have paid for your ticket.

Personally I'd recommend the Lounge Galleries South Complex, it's the biggest lounge with more facilities than the alternatives. You could also put yourself on to the Lounge invite thread and perhaps get that experience upgraded too.

Welcome on board.


Originally Posted by Engineering Travel View Post
Slightly OT, how does this work for OW Sapphire traveling in WT or WT+ departing T5C?
They also get the 15 spend, the staff have a handy chart to consult for this. All that matters is that Sapphire is mentioned on the boarding card or phone screen, so at worst you may need an agent to re-print it for you. However Starbucks is also supposed to work off sight of the frequent flyer card itself.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 6:06 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 720
Is the North Lounge the one closest after security? On the left corner if you are facing the B gates? I have just used them for showering and getting some free WiFi. I do find the food there rather unappealing so normally goto wagamama for that!
AceCobra1 is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 6:12 am
  #8  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,673
Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
Is the North Lounge the one closest after security? On the left corner if you are facing the B gates? I have just used them for showering and getting some free WiFi. I do find the food there rather unappealing so normally goto wagamama for that!
Yes, that's North. Think of where the sun is and it gets easier. (Rural dweller speaking!). It's a bit of a zoo there, it's relatively small and gets crowded with the domestic travellers, so I'd not recommend it unless you had a short time for before a departure from gates 1 to 10 inclusive. In all other scenarios South Galleries is far better.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 6:30 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
Welcome to FT!

Don't worry, you will get access to the lounge and no one will know that you are a cheapskate on an Avios upgrade. Apart from the Tesco hat you will be made to wear of course .
cheapskate I am, but not via Tesco - to be fair is all through flying BA!

Many thanks to everyone's responses - flying to Miami so assume this will be T5A or B?
woodards is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 6:34 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 13,197
Originally Posted by woodards View Post
cheapskate I am, but not via Tesco - to be fair is all through flying BA!

Many thanks to everyone's responses - flying to Miami so assume this will be T5A or B?
Hi,

It is likely to be T5B or C ( there are a couple of A gates suitable for a 747 and there is always A10 -the bus gate)

Regards

TBS
The _Banking_Scot is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 6:36 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Well done, and welcome woodards! Welcome to the BA forum on Flyertalk, I'm guessing you've been lurking for a while and have now taken the plunge. Well it's good to see you here, please stick around and tell us how it goes.

Yes definitely lounge access, it's part of the CW package, no issues at all, you have paid for your ticket.

Personally I'd recommend the Lounge Galleries South Complex, it's the biggest lounge with more facilities than the alternatives. You could also put yourself on to the Lounge invite thread and perhaps get that experience upgraded too.

Welcome on board.
Yes very much a long term lurker!

To be honest always flown VA in the past and have slowly drifted away to BA, more through circumstance than anything else.

First experience of CW was last Dec (again to Miami) but on sale fare (got a bargain!). Service was outstanding so very much got the bug from that. Have flown Upper with VA previously and both have there own pro's and con's.

Many thanks again.
woodards is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 6:53 am
  #12  
GLA
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: GLA... where else?!
Programs: BA VS
Posts: 431
This is a very long standing bug on ba.com. This particular section on MMB never seems to update to CW relevant information after you've upgraded. If you look at the section on facilities on board it will still refer to WTP with no mention of a nice flat bed!
GLA is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 7:05 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,826
Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
Welcome to FT!

Don't worry, you will get access to the lounge and no one will know that you are a cheapskate on an Avios upgrade. Apart from the Tesco hat you will be made to wear of course .
OI

Some of us cheapskates wear Waitrose ones.
T8191 is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 7:51 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,449
Originally Posted by woodards View Post
cheapskate I am, but not via Tesco - to be fair is all through flying BA!
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
OI

Some of us cheapskates wear Waitrose ones.
You're better men than me then!

Last edited by SteveF; Aug 26, 13 at 8:01 am
SteveF is offline  
Old Aug 26, 13, 8:19 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK - BHD
Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-S; HH-D
Posts: 885
does the starbucks 15 thingy work for a guest as well?

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
They also get the 15 spend, the staff have a handy chart to consult for this. All that matters is that Sapphire is mentioned on the boarding card or phone screen, so at worst you may need an agent to re-print it for you. However Starbucks is also supposed to work off sight of the frequent flyer card itself.
Just occurred to me that I have never heard whether the Starbucks 15 applies to both the cardholder and guest if both are departing T5C in WT/WT+. Has anyone tested this?

Thanks,
DCf
diamond club freeloader is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread