Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Maximising the validity when awarding a Partner Gold Card after 4500 TPs

Old Aug 25, 13, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL For Life

Hello All

have a feeling I should know the answer to this but don't.

Have reached 4500 TPs and as a GGL Member the Partner Card I can award is Gold, not Silver. So far so good.

Here is my question:

I am going to give the Partner Card to someone who is already an Exec Club member - actually already a Gold member but who is not going to re-qualify for Gold in their own right.

I believe that once the card is awarded their status would change immediately and they would then be Gold for the balance of their current Membership Year and for the whole of the following year.

In this case the person to who I am going to award the Gold Card has a membership year expiring on Sept 8th, with their card expiring on Oct 31.

So if I award it now, my understanding is that they will be Gold until Sept 8th (end of current Membership Year) and then for 12 months until Sept 8 2014, with their Gold Card then expring on Oct 31 2014.

However if I do nothing now, let them drop to Silver after Oct 31 2013 but then nominate them immediately in their new 'Silver" membership year, am I right in thinking that:

[B]they would then be Gold for the balance of their current Membership Year (until Oct 31 2014) and]then for the whole of the following year (i.e. from Oct 31 2014 to Oct 31 2015?

Hope the above makes sense and would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 13, 9:10 am

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Hello

Yes, your logic is right. If you do this properly, your recipient should get nearly 2 years of Gold membership and you should wait for the recipient's drop to Silver. I messed this one up with Mrs TT1F - she only got 14 months and I should have waited. From memory there is some nominal time limit during which you need to gift the card - maybe during your current membership year - but I might have made that up
Old Aug 25, 13, 9:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I believe your analysis is correct too.

Therefore you may also want to think about giving a Gold to whoever is the second most acceptable recipient, and give the Gold card to your primary recipient next year. That way you can keep up to three people in Silver or Gold if you keep churning the TPs. However your primary recipient may not enjoy a year at Silver!
Old Aug 25, 13, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
And I believe your analysis is correct too.

Therefore you may also want to think about giving a Gold to whoever is the second most acceptable recipient, and give the Gold card to your primary recipient next year. That way you can keep up to three people in Silver or Gold if you keep churning the TPs. However your primary recipient may not enjoy a year at Silver!
Thanks for the responses...

As the primary recipient is Mrs Travelswithmybriefcase you are quite right in assuming she would not enjoy a year at Silver........
Old Aug 25, 13, 9:55 am

Perhaps somebody could answer a further question on this topic. Is the relevant date in this example 8th September or 31st October? As I understand it status changes from gold to silver on 8th September although holder retains the benefits of gold until 31st October. In the case I have in mind this difference is important as the one year anniversary of the 4,500 TPs comes between the two dates.
Old Aug 25, 13, 10:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by We won the world cup View Post
Perhaps somebody could answer a further question on this topic. Is the relevant date in this example 8th September or 31st October? As I understand it status changes from gold to silver on 8th September although holder retains the benefits of gold until 31st October. In the case I have in mind this difference is important as the one year anniversary of the 4,500 TPs comes between the two dates.
I would assume the critical date is 9 September, or maybe a day or two afterwards, that's is when ba.com would regard you as Silver, even though your Gold benefits are still available. It's done manually so there is an element of inconsistency ready to leap in, I would suspect.
Old Aug 25, 13, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold

Another consideration might be whether recipient travels solo or only with the primary gold. When 2 Golds fly on one booking one of the gold cards is redundant. Prolly irrelevant in your case but worth mentioning as it can dictate a quite different strategy.
Old Aug 25, 13, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fripperies View Post
Another consideration might be whether recipient travels solo or only with the primary gold. When 2 Golds fly on one booking one of the gold cards is redundant. Prolly irrelevant in your case but worth mentioning as it can dictate a quite different strategy.
Fair point. However although we do usually (but not always) travel together we have found that have 2 Golds (including myself as a GGL / CCR member) travelling together has tended to get us more Upgrades than when we travel separately.

Have had a couple of CSDs say to us that this "Mr and Mrs Gold +" has leapt out a bit at them from their I Pads.

No way to empirically prove this of course.
Old Aug 25, 13, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Originally Posted by fripperies View Post
That's where the lounge requests / offers thread benefits!

Search this Thread