Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Comair (BA South African franchise) takes delivery of first BA branded 737-800

Old Aug 24, 13, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

Pinching this from another forum, but Comair are taking delivery of the first 737-800 destined for the BA franchise:
http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.fil...php8QSJ2v.jpeg

According to the other forum its ZS-ZWI, and is the first B737-800 with winglets to appear in the BA scheme.

Good for the BA brand in South Africa, nice new aircraft being delivered etc, but do the winglets work painted ?

cs
Old Aug 24, 13, 8:04 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
No idea if the painted wing tips "enhance" (a B.A. term that I understand to mean reduce!!!!!) the fuel efficiency of this pretty looking plane.
It says something tho' that BA in South Africa have these nice new shiny planes... can we have some at GATWICK please?
Old Aug 24, 13, 10:31 pm

Dunno about the winglets but the tail fin looks like it was painted by a 5 year old. The red and blue is solid instead of having the lighter highlighted areas to make it look like its rippling in the wind. The blue area of the flag on the tail is also too small. In fact its all wrong.
Old Aug 25, 13, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 View Post
... can we have some at GATWICK please?
Would look very smart at Gatwick, a long held dream of mine.
Old Aug 25, 13, 3:26 am

There is a rumour that Comair will be getting additional B737-400's from elsewhere to replace the existing B737-300's. Perhaps B737-436's from BA Mainline? This would not involve any changes to the paint scheme or interior, other than changing the registration from G- to ZS- and would surely keep the BA purists happy! ;-)

I notice that B737-436 G-DOCU has already been withdrawn from the BA fleet and has been sent to Victorville for storage.
Old Aug 25, 13, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by SAA201 View Post
There is a rumour that Comair will be getting additional B737-400's from elsewhere to replace the existing B737-300's. Perhaps B737-436's from BA Mainline? This would not involve any changes to the paint scheme or interior, other than changing the registration from G- to ZS- and would surely keep the BA purists happy! ;-)

I notice that B737-436 G-DOCU has already been withdrawn from the BA fleet and has been sent to Victorville for storage.
Welcome to flyertalk SAA201

Great first post me ansum !

Didn't some of the existing Comair fleet transfer from mainline? Some of the existing LGW 734 fleet have some very high times so not too sure that any of them will find new homes.

cs
Old Aug 25, 13, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
No BA "To Fly. To Serve." crest?!

Paint job is poor.
Old Aug 25, 13, 8:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by saintby View Post
Dunno about the winglets but the tail fin looks like it was painted by a 5 year old. The red and blue is solid instead of having the lighter highlighted areas to make it look like its rippling in the wind. The blue area of the flag on the tail is also too small. In fact its all wrong.
My thoughts exactly!
Old Aug 25, 13, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
12 years old - so hardly new (Though new to Comair, and in comparison to their current fleet!)

It does look a slightly poorly done paintjob and the winglets being painted like that looks horrible.
Old Aug 25, 13, 3:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

I agree, the winglet adornment looks contrived, and lacks constraint. In the design trade, one might use the term "gash"
Old Aug 25, 13, 4:07 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I am aware that some of the Gatwick 737 400s have reasonable hours, but I think it is also due to the fact that a lot of them are approaching heavy maint. (or 'D' check)

In comparison, the 737 -300 that this 738 is replacing has over 77,000 hrs on it..(!)
Old Nov 12, 13, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; KLM Gold; Hilton Diamond; IC Platinum Amb;
BA Comair 738

Flew CPT - JNB on this aircraft 10 days ago. The inside was very poor compared to their 734s. The "Club" seats were a extended pitch version of Ryanair. My shoulders were level with seat top. These seats are not fit for purpose in any business class. Service of course was usual excellent BA Comair, just a pity about the aircraft!
Old Nov 12, 13, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, TridentGold!
Originally Posted by TridentGold View Post
Flew CPT - JNB on this aircraft 10 days ago. The inside was very poor compared to their 734s. The "Club" seats were a extended pitch version of Ryanair. My shoulders were level with seat top. These seats are not fit for purpose in any business class. Service of course was usual excellent BA Comair, just a pity about the aircraft!
Was there any form of acknowledgement from Comair that the seats were substandard for Club?
Old Nov 12, 13, 4:28 am

Programs: MUCCI
You can see the seats in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-3F6BeRNWo
Old Nov 12, 13, 5:51 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by David-A View Post
You can see the seats in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-3F6BeRNWo
I think I flew that one last Saturday CPT-JNB. Comair upgraded me at check-in Spacesaver seats and no longer the nice "old club" on the port side. Middle seats seem to be blocked, at least I didn't see anyone in the centre seat.

Search this Thread