Front row ET - B seat always blocked on B737??

Old Aug 22, 13, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
Front row ET - B seat always blocked on B737??

The reason for asking is that on a recent trip to AMS the B seat in the first row of ET was blocked in the seat map but on boarding the middle seat was occupied. According to BA Source the A320 that operated the flight had space saver seats. Is this the only aircraft where this occurs?

Travelling to JER with my partner on a 737 next week and don't want to reserve the first row of ET to find someone in middle of us on boarding.

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 13, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
How about reserving the row anyway and if B is occupied, offer them the choice of aisle or window seat?
Old Aug 22, 13, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Yes, the only narrow body aircraft where the front B seat in Euro Traveller will be occupied is on the newer A320s with space saver seating.
Old Aug 22, 13, 3:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
Yes, the only narrow body aircraft where the front B seat in Euro Traveller will be occupied is on the newer A320s with space saver seating.
And the ex-bmi A319s?
Old Aug 22, 13, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Booking the front row in ET is always a gamble because the curtain can move at any time and as you discovered already, aircraft without converter seating will use the B seat in that row. If you keep checking back you might be able to keep your seats if the curtain moves or change to the exit row.
Old Aug 22, 13, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
And the ex-bmi A319s?
Yes, good spot. Keep forgetting about those aircraft.
Old Aug 22, 13, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rembrandtuk View Post
The reason for asking is that on a recent trip to AMS the B seat in the first row of ET was blocked in the seat map but on boarding the middle seat was occupied. According to BA Source the A320 that operated the flight had space saver seats. Is this the only aircraft where this occurs?

Travelling to JER with my partner on a 737 next week and don't want to reserve the first row of ET to find someone in middle of us on boarding.

Thanks
The B seat on the 737 is permanently blocked and in CE configuration in the first 5 rows, so as long as ET is as far forward as row 5 you can guarantee a free middle seat. They do this to reduce the seat count to ensure they can operate with only 3 crew.
Old Aug 22, 13, 5:48 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
This is done to reduce the total number of passengers on the aircraft for the number of cabin crew present. I think it is something like 50 per crew member. The 737 has slightly more seats than the 319s.
Old Aug 22, 13, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post
They do this to reduce the seat count to ensure they can operate with only 3 crew.
There's an identical situation with AA's new 738's where 1 row has middle seats blocked to reduce the crew requirement. There's a fixed plastic unit with cup holders covering it. It always looks a bit odd to me but obviously it meets the need.
Old Aug 23, 13, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
Thanks all, ET starts at row 4 in the seatmap at the moment so think i may just reserve row 5 in case the curtain moves back another row.
Old Aug 23, 13, 2:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Blueboys999 View Post
There's an identical situation with AA's new 738's where 1 row has middle seats blocked to reduce the crew requirement. There's a fixed plastic unit with cup holders covering it. It always looks a bit odd to me but obviously it meets the need.
It's actually two rows. I'm such a geek.

Originally Posted by rembrantuk
Thanks all, ET starts at row 4 in the seatmap at the moment so think i may just reserve row 5 in case the curtain moves back another row.
Very good plan!

Search this Thread