FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Cancelled Credit Card Used for Rewards Booking? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1496502-cancelled-credit-card-used-rewards-booking.html)

pokee Aug 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Cancelled Credit Card Used for Rewards Booking?

I have a flight coming up next week, and I was having a look at my e-ticket (for flights booked on CX with Avios) and noticed this clause written on it:

If the payment cardholder is travelling, you must bring the card used to pay for this booking to the airport with you, for verification, before you can travel.

I have since cancelled the card used for payment, so I am just curious what will happen to me upon check in? I still have the card to show them, it just won't work if they try to use it. Will having it in my possession suffice?

Erico1875 Aug 22, 2013 2:08 pm

Iv never been asked to show my CC for BA flights, award or paid for. Had a lot of hassle with Qatar a few years back though. Daughters friend, same this year too.

GadgetGal Aug 22, 2013 2:10 pm

once I lost the debit card i had used to pay for a ticket. I checked in online anway but used my passport for the bag drop desk. They never asked for my card.

The only time I've needed the payment card at the airport was when I used the self check-in. I havent done that in years

pokee Aug 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Yeah, I figured this wasn't official. I don't recall being asked to show this card for any other Avios redemptions I've made. Thanks for confirming!

Globaliser Aug 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by pokee (Post 21318786)
Yeah, I figured this wasn't official.

It is official, and they do sometimes ask (including BA).

If it's BA, reportedly they have alternative means of satisfying themselves of your identity if you don't have the card with you.

On BA flights, it's been noted that you're less likely to be asked for the card if you're a Gold or Silver member. But there's no guarantee. Some stations are more likely than others to ask.

A friend flew on CX on a cash ticket that I'd bought for her, but I was thousands of miles away by the time she was due to fly. The CX call centre had assured me that they'd noted on the booking that the passenger would not have the card with her. Result: She had to pay again for the ticket before she was allowed to check-in, and I had to wait for a refund.

You're flying on CX, so it's your choice. Personally, if I were in your position, I would take the card with me even though the account has since been cancelled.

Frenske Aug 22, 2013 11:05 pm

On domestic flights it can be used as proof of identity. Even then a passport should be fine. If you were flying with O'Leary, he would have charged you for failing to comply with some random rule.

pokee Aug 23, 2013 3:57 pm

I'll bring the card with me just to play it safe, since I am flying on CX. Thanks!

Genius1 Aug 23, 2013 3:59 pm

MAD is the only airport I've been asked for my credit card.

Erico1875 Aug 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Frenske (Post 21321074)
On domestic flights it can be used as proof of identity. Even then a passport should be fine. If you were flying with O'Leary, he would have charged you for failing to comply with some random rule.

If you are flying with O'Leary, you certainly wont have that problem. They encourage you to avoid airport check in altogether.

gcuk Aug 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 21325286)
MAD is the only airport I've been asked for my credit card.

I was asked for my credit card at check-in in Barbados. They'd already seen my passport so not sure what this additional check proves.