FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Lounge access during HND-NRT connection on redemption ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1496436-lounge-access-during-hnd-nrt-connection-redemption-ticket.html)

Coromandel Aug 22, 2013 10:09 am

Lounge access during HND-NRT connection on redemption ticket

I've had a look at the lounge access guidelines but am still not clear about the answer to this question (partly because the itinerary involves two days' travel and two different connecting airports).

I am flying from LHR - HND and then need to transfer to NRT for a domestic flight to NGO. I have 10 hours between the two flights. Since this is a MFU ticket from WT+, the LHR-HND leg is CW, but NRT-NGO is in economy.

Will I be able to use any of the lounges at Narita T2? I'm a lowly Bronze so don't have automatic lounge access.

If it makes any difference the LHR-HND flight is overnight, and therefore the domestic leg departs on the day of arrival of the international flight, but the day after its departure.

Thanks in advance.

DWFI Aug 22, 2013 10:19 am

You probably should have access but I think by a very, very strict interpretation of the rules they wouldn't be wrong to deny you.

IMO.

Coromandel Aug 22, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks, that's what I thought. Sounds like I should sort out a day room, in that case, and not rely on lounge access?

DWFI Aug 22, 2013 10:56 am

Originally Posted by oneworld lounge access rules
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul* and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa). (* a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours)

This is the relevant excerpt, found here. http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Since your flight to NRT is a redeye it really should qualify but on paper you're not connecting "on the same day of travel". Either way I'd go in armed with this printout and with the mindset that you're not taking no for an answer.

Coromandel Aug 22, 2013 11:06 am

Great - that's really helpful. Thanks :)

frdv Aug 23, 2013 8:31 am

As a regular flyer to Japan (Tokyo & Nagoya), I would not consider transferring from Haneda to Narita to catch a domestic connection flight. Haneda is the "domestic" airport in Tokyo, and there are plenty of flights from Haneda to Nagoya, and if this is still not an option, then I would jump on a Shinkansen (bullet train) to Nagoya. Simply catch a train from Haneda to Shinagawa station (15min) & connect to the Shinkansen, they run every 10 minutes and take you to Nagoya in just over 1h30. I have done this many times and is in my opinion the most convenient way of getting from Tokyo to Nagoya. With the BA flight landing around 5AM, you should be able to be in Nagoya well before 9AM.

r22r44bell47 Aug 23, 2013 9:08 am

Originally Posted by frdv (Post 21322732)
As a regular flyer to Japan (Tokyo & Nagoya), I would not consider transferring from Haneda to Narita to catch a domestic connection flight. Haneda is the "domestic" airport in Tokyo, and there are plenty of flights from Haneda to Nagoya, and if this is still not an option, then I would jump on a Shinkansen (bullet train) to Nagoya. Simply catch a train from Haneda to Shinagawa station (15min) & connect to the Shinkansen, they run every 10 minutes and take you to Nagoya in just over 1h30. I have done this many times and is in my opinion the most convenient way of getting from Tokyo to Nagoya. With the BA flight landing around 5AM, you should be able to be in Nagoya well before 9AM.

Definitely. And the standard class single fare Shinagawa-Nagoya on a Nozomi (the fastest Shinkansen) is 10-11,000 yen, or about £70. But maybe too late for the OP to make use of this.....