FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Lounge or WHS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1496288-ba-lounge-whs.html)

bernardh Aug 21, 2013 11:16 pm

BA Lounge or WHS?

Judging by the 6" thick pile of magazines that I just saw a couple stuffing into their bags at T5 North lounge just now, the smart traveller no longer pays for magazines but pilfers them from BA. The vey posh male half spent most of his time in the lounge frantically scanning the racks for more to add to his collection.

Not sure how relevant, but their choice of "newspaper" was the "Daily Mail"...

lcyguy Aug 22, 2013 12:06 am

Originally Posted by bernardh (Post 21314960)
The vey posh male half spent most of his time in the lounge frantically scanning the racks for more to add to his collection.

Which means you spent most of the time he was in the lounge watching him go through the mags! Didn't you have anything better to do with your time?

Anyone else getting tired of these tut tut type threads?

Feroze Aug 22, 2013 12:08 am

They are there to be taken. I often take four or five different periodicals to read whilst on the plane and at my destination.

IAN-UK Aug 22, 2013 12:39 am

Originally Posted by bernardh (Post 21314960)
The vey posh male half spent most of his time in the lounge frantically scanning the racks for more to add to his collection.

Not sure how relevant, but their choice of "newspaper" was the "Daily Mail"...

I think you need to hone your observational and/or reporting skills. We need to know how the (not-so-posh?) partner spent her time. Was she the look-out in the mag-heist?

The Daily Mail doesn't seem to fit easily with your analysis of the perp's social status.

bariummeal Aug 22, 2013 1:37 am

BA Lounge or WHS?

Some people don't know when to stop - I once saw someone taking a copy of every magazine available in the T1 domestic lounge when it was BMI (it had a big selection in those days) - about 15 mags. They then went to a dragon and asked if they had a plastic bag for all the magazines! (Which weren't provided) The amount was so much that she couldn't carry them and had to get her partner to share the load. They waddled out the door like two Asda shoplifters.

dubbin Aug 22, 2013 1:59 am

OP, you may enjoy this 267-post thread from earlier this year. In particular, note how it ended. I don't really think we need to dredge up this unproductive discussion again.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-lounges.html

Shuttle Aug 22, 2013 2:14 am

BA Lounge or WHS?

I'm frankly they found so many magazines they wanted to read. Every week I'm there the choice available is only from titles like: International Spa Finder, Expensive Yacht World, Filthy Lucre Living...

You did say they were posh though!

layz Aug 22, 2013 5:15 am

Originally Posted by bariummeal (Post 21315315)
Some people don't know when to stop - I once saw someone taking a copy of every magazine available in the T1 domestic lounge when it was BMI (it had a big selection in those days) - about 15 mags. They then went to a dragon and asked if they had a plastic bag for all the magazines! (Which weren't provided) The amount was so much that she couldn't carry them and had to get her partner to share the load. They waddled out the door like two Asda shoplifters.

bmi actively encouraged taking of their magazines, there was a number of times when boarding the flight directly from the GLA lounge the staff would suggest taking some magazines for the journey.

You then have some contract lounges with big stickers on asking not to take the magazines from the lounge.

So on BA if I asked at the desk whether I could take magazines with me what would they say?

IAN-UK Aug 22, 2013 5:42 am

Originally Posted by bariummeal (Post 21315315)
Some people don't know when to stop - I once saw someone taking a copy of every magazine available in the T1 domestic lounge when it was BMI (it had a big selection in those days) - about 15 mags. They then went to a dragon and asked if they had a plastic bag for all the magazines!

Patrons are encouraged to take mags from many lounges.

My fave Lisbon lounge even provides plastic bags to assist you transport your selection. No handy tupperware for the pasteis de nata and other local goodies though :(

Sixth Freedom Aug 22, 2013 5:42 am

Some of those flights are quite long, and it is reasonable to read a large number of magazines on them.

Furthermore, supply of magazines on the aircraft is much more constrained than the lounge. Much better for people to take them from the lounge where they are plentiful and leave those in the racks for those who do not have the time to visit the lounge.