FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   JFK to LHR early morning advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1496263-jfk-lhr-early-morning-advice.html)

Dorset Flyer Aug 21, 2013 9:15 pm

JFK to LHR early morning advice

Hi all,

Am on the 8 AM from JFK to LHR this coming Sunday and am unsure of the best time to arrive at the airport. I am staying in Midtown near the UN and will taxi to the airport.

It's an early start whatever way I look at it, but wonder how long the taxi ride will be and what time is best to arrive to miss the worst of the early security queue.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tobias-UK Aug 21, 2013 11:48 pm

I usually leave midtown Manhattan at about 05:30 when taking the BA178.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 22, 2013 1:09 am

I take the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station to Jamaica, leaving about 6 or a bit later, this generally gets me to T7 security around 6:40 or so, which is ample in my experience. You could leave it until 06:30 and still make it (but that's your contingency gone). In that direction I often get the train to myself. The 06:07 service from Penn Street gets to Jamaica at 06:25, and it's another 10-15 minutes on the Air Train from there.

chris1979 Aug 22, 2013 2:49 am

When I've taken this flight, have gone for cab at 6am from pretty much anywhere in Manhattan and always had time for a tea and bite in the lounge before the flight.

ScruttonStreet Aug 22, 2013 2:55 am

5.45am from Tribeca for me, and every time I do it I remind myself to leave it later next time. From the UN, assuming you are near the Midtown tunnel, then 5.45am is plenty of time.

Jenzo Aug 22, 2013 5:04 am

What class are you flying and status are you?

J

mec72 Aug 23, 2013 2:03 pm

It shouldn't take more than half an hour on Sunday morning. 6am should be fine.

TheBigRat Mar 11, 2014 3:53 am

JFK to LHR early morning advice

Just wanted to check with those who know, BH and I are on the 178 from JFK today (dep: 09:30) - what time to leave by cab, Midtown near Central Park South - and any idea what time the GF lounge opens ? I've seen conflicting times - most common is 08:00 - thanks ....

GadgetGal Mar 11, 2014 4:14 am

For the cost of a taxi, you could book a town car. :)

corporate-wage-slave Mar 11, 2014 6:20 am

Originally Posted by TheBigRat (Post 22501921)
Just wanted to check with those who know, BH and I are on the 178 from JFK today (dep: 09:30) - what time to leave by cab, Midtown near Central Park South - and any idea what time the GF lounge opens ? I've seen conflicting times - most common is 08:00 - thanks ....

By taxi I'd leave no later than 7 am, due to traffic, so personally I'd take the LIRR or subway, depending on your precise location, since at that time of day it is more reliable and you could reasonably leave at 7:30 or so. The First lounge is indeed open at 08:00 hrs but please do check and let us know if that has changed.

lwildernorva Mar 11, 2014 7:15 am

I'm on BA180 on July 16, which has a 7:15 departure time, flying First and checking bags. Sounds as if arriving by 6:00 a.m. is sufficient for this departure. Since this flight departs before the lounges open, any suggestions for a nearby place other than the gate to park myself for a few minutes while waiting for boarding to begin? Or should I just board and take advantage of pre-departure beverages?

TheBigRat Mar 12, 2014 4:52 am

Thanks all.

So - as an update - we left the West 57th Hilton Club at 06h45 by cab and arrived at the airport around 07h20. Security was very light - through in 10 mins, but no priority and curiously didnt see any BA Check in desks open ... but there must have been some .. odd.. anyway... upto the lounge at 07h30 and it was open, through into the GF Lounge. Boarded 09h00 - left 09h30 on time.

BTW - if you can work out how to use the toaster, please leave instructions somewhere - that thing baffled some of the finest minds in the lounge .. :confused:

We would not recommend leaving later than 07h00 ish if you are heading out the same way we did, the traffic build up was incredible as we left downtown.

Cost of the cab - 52:00 USD plus 5.83ish for the QMT tunnel - meant 65 usd including tip.

Thanks corporate-wage-slave for the input - appreciated.
Gadget-Gal - thanks for the suggestion - don't know the cost of a town car but made the mistake of reading your post out loud, and spent the next 15 minutes assuring Mrs BigRat she WAS worthy of a limo, and yes, if I'd thought I COULD have organised one and yes, I WILL do better next next time... :D - I exaggerate of course ...

GadgetGal Mar 12, 2014 5:15 am

Originally Posted by TheBigRat (Post 22508676)
Gadget-Gal - thanks for the suggestion - don't know the cost of a town car but made the mistake of reading your post out loud, and spent the next 15 minutes assuring Mrs BigRat she WAS worthy of a limo, and yes, if I'd thought I COULD have organised one and yes, I WILL do better next next time... :D - I exaggerate of course ...

If there is a next time: the town car will run to about $70 (I'm sure there are FTers who know the best deals). the great thing about being in a reputable hotel its that there shouldn't be anything to *organise*. Either the front desk will book something and send confirmation to your room or the bell man/porter will have a contact and send confirmation to your room.

In either case you pay the driver direct :)

ScruttonStreet Mar 12, 2014 6:14 am

Originally Posted by TheBigRat (Post 22508676)
Thanks all.

So - as an update - we left the West 57th Hilton Club at 06h45 by cab and arrived at the airport around 07h20. Security was very light - through in 10 mins, but no priority and curiously didnt see any BA Check in desks open ... but there must have been some .. odd.. anyway... upto the lounge at 07h30 and it was open, through into the GF Lounge. Boarded 09h00 - left 09h30 on time.

Good to hear - I am doing same route tomorrow. Did you access the CW/First desks which are kind of hidden round to the left as you enter the terminal, in a separate zone from the regular desks? That area has its own boarding zone away from the other, main check in area.

TheBigRat Mar 12, 2014 6:32 am

Originally Posted by GadgetGal (Post 22508742)
If there is a next time: the town car will run to about $70 (I'm sure there are FTers who know the best deals). the great thing about being in a reputable hotel its that there shouldn't be anything to *organise*. Either the front desk will book something and send confirmation to your room or the bell man/porter will have a contact and send confirmation to your room.

In either case you pay the driver direct :)

Thanks - duly noted for the future, I thought they'd (the Hotel) would mark it up. Thanks again GadgetGal !