Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bidding for upgrades... coming to IAG [Iberia] soon!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.

I have received an e-mail from IBERIA informing me that they are going to introduce a bidding system for upgrades.

(Even busier premium cabins?)

I think forum rules prohibit the posting of URLS?

Is this likely to be rolled out to B.A. ?

Popcorn is available.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
I have received an e-mail from IBERIA informing me that they are going to introduce a bidding system for upgrades.

(Even busier premium cabins?)

I think forum rules prohibit the posting of URLS?

Is this likely to be rolled out to B.A. ?

Popcorn is available.
I do remember reading an article about how more and more airlines are doing this. The example given was Etihad. I do also remember from the article though that they spoke to BA who said they wouldn't be doing it. Doesn't mean they won't change their mind though.

Iberia doing it possibly makes sense though. Anyone know if their premium loads are low?

I thought premium loads for BA are quite high, so I doubt they need to do this.

T
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: ABBA
> I think forum rules prohibit the posting of URLS?
Nope

> Is this likely to be rolled out to B.A. ?
Yes

> Popcorn is available

Another kick in the groin for regular flex passengers. I'm sure the once-a-year cheapest-ticket-possible crowd will be delighted.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
In that case:

details here :http://grupo.iberia.es/portal/site/g...005ffe15acRCRD
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If it gets rolled out on BA I (and I suspect many other PAX who fly CW) will be looking to jump ship somewhere else and BA can enjoy me burning my way through my 1.5m Avios using 2-4-1s until I have none left.

Sorry, but I don't want to be sat next to Mr & Mrs "ha ha ha we only paid £201 each for the upgrade, more champagne please waiter" whilst I'm trying to do a day's work / get some sleep on the flight to / from my long haul destination.

Next thing you know, there will be BA scratch cards where you can win Tier Points, Avios and a Concorde Card.

Air travel is rapidly becoming a race to the bottom
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by SEW247
If it gets rolled out on BA I (and I suspect many other PAX who fly CW) will be looking to jump ship somewhere else and BA can enjoy me burning my way through my 1.5m Avios using 2-4-1s until I have none left.
Why would a flexible bidding system for upgrades mean that? POUG already exists, UuA already exists, Tesco already exists(!) ...

...and I can't imagine BA revenue management are so stupid they'd upgrade anyone|everyone who bids £150 for a l/h upgrade?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Why would a flexible bidding system for upgrades mean that? POUG already exists, UuA already exists, Tesco already exists(!) ...

...and I can't imagine BA revenue management are so stupid they'd upgrade anyone|everyone who bids £150 for a l/h upgrade?
I think that POUG and UUA would killed off in an instant - where would all those lovely seats come from for Mr & Mrs chancer to upgrade using £?

(sorry but I feel very strongly about this situation - maybe it's just though me?!)
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shorthauldad

Indeed....if BA offered it my guess would be that the minimum winning bid would be set not far off the POUG price anyway.

BA having a WT+ cabin will keep the Y riff-raff away from those who feel a cut above.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Book in to the back of the plane... it will be empty!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I much prefer POUG. Fairer, more transparent, and BA can target who gets the offer. Bidding systems are also easier for a € airline than for a £ airline because a sole currency is shared by a significant majority of customers from both home and foreign markets while BA custom is shared quite significantly between £, €, $ etc markets (POUG does exist with pricings in all of those currencies and probably more).
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Does Iberia offer POUG and UUA to its Y passengers? At least the ones who buy flexible tickets
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I think this will be rolling out eventually on BA next year. This will be the initial format and all done online.

ba.com/IAGauctionupgrades/2014
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
I know you are upset but do you really think BA are going to be moved by this revelation

Sorry, but I don't want to be sat next to Mr & Mrs "ha ha ha we only paid £201 each for the upgrade, more champagne please waiter" whilst I'm trying to do a day's work / get some sleep on the flight to / from my long haul destination.
Some of us can work and drink champagne
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL
If it gets rolled out on BA I (and I suspect many other PAX who fly CW) will be Sorry, but I don't want to be sat next to Mr & Mrs "ha ha ha we only paid £201 each for the upgrade, more champagne please waiter" whilst I'm trying to do a day's work / get some sleep on the flight to / from my long haul destination.
And some of us get annoyed by those pretentious, superior business types on a ticket they haven't paid for, huffing, puffing and tutting all the way through a flight when we're trying to enjoy a few glasses of champagne on our holiday
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
I guess it might come in handy to be able to bid on upgrades. Assuming the system works, no one will get a cheap price unless there really is no demand. If anything, the program might make premium cabins more selective. Seems fair to me, the real problem would be losing UUA. Would think BA would need to keep the bidding to seven days out or something so we can use avios to upgrade before that, otherwise avios start to become almost worthless with the lack of availability and high taxes on redemptions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.