Minimum Connection time in T5 LHR

Old Aug 12, 13, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Minimum Connection time in T5 LHR

Last night I was lucky enough to book return reward flights MAN to Boston next July in First. On the return we arrive from Boston into T5 LHR at 06.25, giving us 1hr 50mins before our flight to MAN at 08.15hrs. Does this seem reasonable at that time of the morning or should I change to the later MAN flight 40 mins later? Getting home earlier seemed a good idea late last night because my poor husband may have to go into work that day, but now I'm wondering whether I should change it to build in a longer connection time.

If we keep the earlier flight and miss it due to delays will we be automatically be put on the next flight to MAN?

Any thoughts on this would be very welcome.
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:13 am

Programs: co, ba, marriot, national, avis, spg
Should be fine

i don't do these exact flights but have very similar type timings and have never had a problem in several years of doing it.

Good luck
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:16 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
MCT is 60 minutes. Worst case is you would be put on the later flight anyway.

Last edited by nux; Aug 12, 13 at 6:09 am Reason: MCT
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:16 am

Programs: BA: lowly blue, VS: Red, DC, HH, PC
Originally Posted by coffeebean09 View Post
Last night I was lucky enough to book return reward flights MAN to Boston next July in First. On the return we arrive from Boston into T5 LHR at 06.25, giving us 1hr 50mins before our flight to MAN at 08.15hrs. Does this seem reasonable at that time of the morning or should I change to the later MAN flight 40 mins later? Getting home earlier seemed a good idea late last night because my poor husband may have to go into work that day, but now I'm wondering whether I should change it to build in a longer connection time.

If we keep the earlier flight and miss it due to delays will we be automatically be put on the next flight to MAN?

Any thoughts on this would be very welcome.
On the face of it, 1.50 sounds absolutely fine (and BA recommend 55 minutes minimum). The time that you are landing can be busy with several trans-Atlantics arriving together. The MAN flight 40 minutes later does sound better, but would guarantee that there will be no delays getting in and through from BOS.

At the end of the day, it is only another 40 minutes to wait for peace of mind...
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:19 am

You should be OK but a lot depends on your own attitude to risk.

If you will sweat and fret about it, then book the later. If you're mellow and happy to get on the next one (that has availability....) if there's a problem then stick with the earlier one.

Of course, booking the later one would allow for a lounge visit and a shower for your husband which could be good if he's going straight into work.
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:20 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onaswan View Post
On the face of it, 1.50 sounds absolutely fine (and BA recommend 55 minutes minimum)
55 minutes is well below MCT, where are you seeing BA 'recommend' this?
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:25 am

On the return we arrive from Boston into T5 LHR at 06.25, giving us 1hr 50mins before our flight to MAN at 08.15hrs.
Originally Posted by nux View Post
MCT is 90 minutes. Worst case is you would be put on the later flight anyway.
If you arrive at T5 from an international flight, and depart from T5 on a domestic flight, the minimum connection time is 60 mins:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...nal-5-domestic
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
If you arrive at T5 from an international flight, and depart from T5 on a domestic flight, the minimum connection time is 60 mins:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...nal-5-domestic
Sorry quite correct, T5-T5 ID MCT is 60 mins.

Last edited by nux; Aug 12, 13 at 6:08 am
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advise. Seems we should be ok, though I think I'll check first with my husband whether that lounge visit and shower would be worth the later flight for him! Personally I AM likely to fret and worry so I'll see if I can persuade him to take the later flight anyway.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz President's Circle
MCT is 90 minutes. Worst case is you would be put on the later flight anyway.
Isn't the MCT for a T5-T5 connection 60 minutes?
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:49 am

Thank you all for the advise. Seems we should be ok, though I think I'll check first with my husband whether that lounge visit and shower would be worth the later flight for him! Personally I AM likely to fret and worry so I'll see if I can persuade him to take the later flight anyway.
Thanks again.
At least with flying to MAN there are plenty of other services - and BA will rebook you for free if your inbound is late.

If you were flying on to somewhere with fewer connections, it might be a worry. To MAN, I'd take the one you have.
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:50 am

That's actually 5 minuted below MCT.

MCT for T5-T5 is 1 hour
MCT for T5-T3/1 is 90 mins
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks again.
Aircraft are just flying buses. Miss one, there's always another. So there is no need to fret, in the highly unlikely event you missed your current generous connection, BA would simply put you on the next available flight anyway, thereby doing the work you would have done.
Old Aug 12, 13, 6:10 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post
That's actually 5 minuted below MCT.

MCT for T5-T5 is 1 hour
MCT for T5-T3/1 is 90 mins
55 minutes is well below 60 minutes, depending on your definition of 'well'

Search this Thread
Search Engine: