Annual depression is here - Tier point reset

Old Sep 11, 19, 1:36 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, CPH, ARN or HEL
Programs: Mucci Silver, BA GFL / GGL, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Posts: 4,274
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
Many congratulations.

Im still looking st 0, they’ve promised me the rescheduled ORC from the strike but couldn’t apply it until 3 days after the year reset apparently, so here’s hoping I have a better view in the morning.
Fingers crossed 🤞 👍
ThatT1Feeling is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:23 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 138
Unhappy Oh the Shame of it...I can't even face taking my Gold baggage tags off yet...

Soft landed to Silver last year and just soft landed to Bronze...all courtesy of the Saudi's deciding to cull the expats...

Don't know what to do...it surely can't make sense to fly around for no purpose just to get back up to Gold, and I'm not certain (although there's more of a case) even for Silver...

If I was going to do it, then the cheapest way would seem to fly backwards and forwards from DXB to CGK via CMB on Sri Lankan @ 750 quid a pop in J and 560 TP's (or 1.33 TP's per quid).

Not as mad as it may seem, as there are Ibis hotels at either end to recover and Bali is a hop on Air Asia out of CGK.

Do the journey 2.5 out of DXB + a positioning flight out to DXB from LHR (in Y) + another cheap return somewhere (to get your 4) = Gold for just over 2 grand. Do all of this just after the TP reset and then you're Gold for 2 years plus a soft land to Silver...which just about starts to make a case for it.

Now back to reality...firstly the Brexit is going to kick our a*se (goodness knows what's going to happen) and secondly the sterling exchange rate is likely to go south even more than it has. You'd have to be nuts to take this on anyway, as you'd need a week to get over it all if you were mad enough to do it all back to back...

Rgds...Chris (is bored, must get a life...)
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Chris_G is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:19 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Posts: 4,645
Originally Posted by Chris_G View Post
Soft landed to Silver last year and just soft landed to Bronze...all courtesy of the Saudi's deciding to cull the expats...

Don't know what to do...it surely can't make sense to fly around for no purpose just to get back up to Gold, and I'm not certain (although there's more of a case) even for Silver...

If I was going to do it, then the cheapest way would seem to fly backwards and forwards from DXB to CGK via CMB on Sri Lankan @ 750 quid a pop in J and 560 TP's (or 1.33 TP's per quid).

Not as mad as it may seem, as there are Ibis hotels at either end to recover and Bali is a hop on Air Asia out of CGK.

Do the journey 2.5 out of DXB + a positioning flight out to DXB from LHR (in Y) + another cheap return somewhere (to get your 4) = Gold for just over 2 grand. Do all of this just after the TP reset and then you're Gold for 2 years plus a soft land to Silver...which just about starts to make a case for it.

Now back to reality...firstly the Brexit is going to kick our a*se (goodness knows what's going to happen) and secondly the sterling exchange rate is likely to go south even more than it has. You'd have to be nuts to take this on anyway, as you'd need a week to get over it all if you were mad enough to do it all back to back...

Rgds...Chris (is bored, must get a life...)
Book a fully flexible F trip and hope you hit a strike date and can cancel and get TPs...
lorcancoyle is online now  
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:41 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South East England
Programs: BA Exec Club; U2 Flight Club; Hilton Honors; IHG
Posts: 514
Wiping out progress does seem like a strange thing to do in a loyalty programme... were I designing one it would be on a 19 or 25 month rolling average basis. Does any airline or hotel group actually do this?
memesweeper is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:34 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by memesweeper View Post
Wiping out progress does seem like a strange thing to do in a loyalty programme... were I designing one it would be on a 19 or 25 month rolling basis
Which is surely why BA introduced the Lifetime Tier point counter that counts you ever upwards toward lifetime gold (not that I will ever achieve that with roughly only another 28,000 TP to go!)

On a side note I realised yesterday that according to my account I originally joined BAEC in June but my TP year ends on 8 Feb. I thought the TP year was supposed to be 1 month after your month of joining so it should be 8 July. Any idea why my TP year is not aligned? I know that getting BA to amend the year is a no-no but 8 July would work so much better for me than 8 Feb!
AJA_ is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:44 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA Gold, *G (TK)
Posts: 2,185
Originally Posted by AJA_ View Post
Which is surely why BA introduced the Lifetime Tier point counter that counts you ever upwards toward lifetime gold (not that I will ever achieve that with roughly only another 28,000 TP to go!)

On a side note I realised yesterday that according to my account I originally joined BAEC in June but my TP year ends on 8 Feb. I thought the TP year was supposed to be 1 month after your month of joining so it should be 8 July. Any idea why my TP year is not aligned? I know that getting BA to amend the year is a no-no but 8 July would work so much better for me than 8 Feb!
It probably means your collection year effectively started on the date of your first BA flight after having joined BAEC.
I joined BAEC somewhere between February and May, but took my first BA flight in October, so now my collection year ends in November.
Lefly is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:57 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
It probably means your collection year effectively started on the date of your first BA flight after having joined BAEC.
I joined BAEC somewhere between February and May, but took my first BA flight in October, so now my collection year ends in November.
Hi thanks for replying. That would make sense but I just checked My Flightpath and it show my first flight was 2 days after my date of joining.
AJA_ is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:57 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,072
Originally Posted by memesweeper View Post
Wiping out progress does seem like a strange thing to do in a loyalty programme... were I designing one it would be on a 19 or 25 month rolling average basis. Does any airline or hotel group actually do this?
M&M does this, by allowing two consecutive calendar years to achieve and retain the status, although it is not 24 months rolling average - just a much longer time to get to the top level:

https://www.miles-and-more.com/ch/en...omparison.html
rossmacd is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:06 am
  #69  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 12,489
Originally Posted by AJA_ View Post
Hi thanks for replying. That would make sense but I just checked My Flightpath and it show my first flight was 2 days after my date of joining.
When Tier Points were first introduced they were reset and your Membership Year reset each time you moved up a tier. If you have been a BAEC member for some time your Membership Year would have reset when you first reached Silver.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:56 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
When Tier Points were first introduced they were reset and your Membership Year reset each time you moved up a tier. If you have been a BAEC member for some time your Membership Year would have reset when you first reached Silver.
Thank you! That makes sense. I will "celebrate" my 20th anniversary of BAEC membership in a couple of years. Unfortunately the majority of my flying for the first 10 years was in Y hence the low lifetime TP count but back then I think Silver status was achieved with only 400TP.

This is why I like FT, there are so many knowledgeable people. :-)
AJA_ is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:03 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 67
My tier points reset this month, so down from 2,545 to 0! (My previous maximum was 800) - didn't realise my lifetime points were so low (just under 6,000 in 7 years, so don't think I'll ever hit that lifetime target)

I nearly wasted 210 TP (LHR to HKG in F) by flying the day before my reset date, but managed to defer the trip to Feb next year - so have 420TP 'in the bag' for the new year, rather than just 210 and other bookings to get me to Silver.

Not sure if I will hit gold again this coming year though - daughter is now off to University and my wife is not so happy to be left on her own as much this year, as think I worked away about 1/3 of the year, but never say never!
stuvoi is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:57 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: A North Face.
Programs: TransitionMetal HyperElite Card(tm)
Posts: 2,389
Spare a thought for LTGs.... after the reset the first attainment is 2,500 TPs away!
alexwuk is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 10:36 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post
Time of joy. I was on 3250, so my next flight would have been wasted points (like my last one)
I intend to hit 1510 tier points approx 3 weeks before end of year and then sand bag all travel until the new TP year, lol
tuonopepper is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 10:47 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold
Posts: 53
Just hit the 0 reset here as well, but just today was able to still sneak in a QR flight in the week following the reset which thanks tho the grace period got me over the Gold barrier. That’s for once a very customer friendly service by BAEC.
Chris0815 is online now  
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:27 pm
  #75  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,041
Originally Posted by Stizzack View Post
"From Hero to Zero"
would becoming a Mucci ease the pain, Warrior Mine?

There’s worse. Trust me.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread