Wiki Posts
Search

Using Avios to book partner flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold
Using Avios to book partner flights

Probably been discussed many times before...but I can't find the thread.... How does one used BA Avios to book partner flights, such as on American, Cathay, Japan, etc... I mistakenly grabbed a couple of Chase cc offers last year or so, and now have 285K Avios, but shudder at the fee and fuel taxes on BA..

- Do I contact BA or partner to book flights out of USA? [US resident]
- Any suggestions on which partner has best availability and lowest fees/taxes? - Any restrictions on using them on Partner metal??
- ANYTHING else I should know other than never try to collect Avios again?
Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
just book where you want to go and if partners fly there they will show up as well.

If there are connecting flights then you may want to book as individual trips to get all the flight options.

Works well and have been using for flights out of Asia with no issue and is quite a bit cheaper flying CX than BA because of the surcharges (or lack thereof)
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm a big user of Avios on partner flights. In general, I can find availability on the BA website. However, if you want to redeem on AS, you will need to call. AS has a mini hub in San Diego, and coach tickets on AS are among favorite redemptions for me.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Booking using Partner flight from Cleveland Ohio

I tried the BA site, it does not recognize Cleveland Ohio as a departure city,,,and substitutes a London outbound??? any other suggestions?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
If you collected some of your Avios through Chase credit cards you may well have one or more companion tickets. Just so you know, you cannot use companion tickets on codeshares or partner airlines.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by dornec
I tried the BA site, it does not recognize Cleveland Ohio as a departure city,,,and substitutes a London outbound??? any other suggestions?
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_us

CLE works fine in the From box there for me. Perhaps you were on the main reservation page and didn't chose USA as country of origin? Or were you trying the Rewards Flight exploration page?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Poster

it worked sorta'.... however it still has the huge assessment of taxes and fees even when using American Airlines [cleveland NRT] on american the taxes/fees is over 600?? is that correct? I was under the impression if it was non-BA metal the taxes and fees were norma.... as in....$85 or less??? What am I doing wrong??
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by dornec
it worked sorta'.... however it still has the huge assessment of taxes and fees even when using American Airlines [cleveland NRT] on american the taxes/fees is over 600?? is that correct? I was under the impression if it was non-BA metal the taxes and fees were norma.... as in....$85 or less??? What am I doing wrong??
No fees on AA unless flying to Europe, in which case you pay BA's fees whichever carrier you use.

No taxes on airberlin if fly from the US with them, or Aer Lingus (but need to ring to book AI).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.