Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[BA262 returned to Riyadh twice] out of position 747

Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:24 am
V10
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI Gold

Sitting at the gate in Riyadh (because apparently my BA silver/OWS status isn't good enough to access the lounge when flying on Oneworld member Royal Jordanian) and I can see a BA 747 sitting out on the tarmac that probably ought not to be there. I can't make out which one it is but apparently last night's flight back to London had some sort of issue and was delayed by a few hours.

I guess some plane shuffling may be in the offing.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
BA Source reports:

British Airways Boeing 747-436 G-BNLN operating BA262 Riyadh – London Heathrow stopped the climb at 10,000 ft this morning due to a technical issue, dumped fuel to the west of Riyadh and returned for a safe landing. The flight has been delayed overnight.

I presume this is the aircraft you are seeing.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:42 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Another one gone tech...ohh ohh
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
not sure what time it landed...but a 747 positioned empty to Riyadh...the aircraft that went tech flew back to LHR...maybe the tech a/c flew back empty and the one flown out there has gone to pick up stranded pax?

as per BA Source...

Following its technical issue and return to Riyadh yesterday, British Airways Boeing 747-436 G-BNLN departed Riyadh this morning operating yesterday’s BA262 Riyadh – London Heathrow as BA262Y.

and

British Airways Boeing 747-436 G-CIVD positioned London Heathrow – Riyadh this afternoon as BA9179. The purpose of this flight is not yet clear.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
out of position 747

A fair amount of fuel dumped this week. The 747s are becoming less attractive to fly as the days go by.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:29 pm

Cue the Daily Mail outrageatron

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-24-hours.html
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by pennineuk
BA Source reports:

British Airways Boeing 747-436 G-BNLN operating BA262 Riyadh – London Heathrow stopped the climb at 10,000 ft this morning due to a technical issue, dumped fuel to the west of Riyadh and returned for a safe landing. The flight has been delayed overnight.

I presume this is the aircraft you are seeing.
Not even enough time to get out of Saudi airspace and open the bars. Bet that went down well ...

I wonder where BA's fuel comes from ? It would be hilarious if the original crude were from KSA. All that effort to extract, transport and refine it, only for it to be chucked back into the Nejd However, given that automotive gasoline in KSA is cheaper than water, I'd be surprised if BA didn't have a local contract for jet fuel.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by knifeandfork
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-24-hours.html
Nice to see a measured report from BA's favourite rag. Much more of this and we might be lucky and see the back of it onboard.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:38 pm
V10
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I'm glad I avoided that. Looks like the single member of staff dealing is one of the flight crew from the photos.

Obviously there's a price to be paid for avoiding this mess, which is that somewhere my luggage inbound to Heathrow tonight has gone missing instead
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/B...140Z/OERK/EGLL
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by IceInTheCider
A fair amount of fuel dumped this week. The 747s are becoming less attractive to fly as the days go by.
But maybe I might actually get to see fuel being jettisoned one day - that would be cool.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. All of this hype for stuck flaps and a bit of fuel dumping? What do they write for serious stuff?

Very cool pics, though!

Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
But maybe I might actually get to see fuel being jettisoned one day - that would be cool.
+1

Highly inconvenient on the schedule though, so on further reflection is better if the inner avgeek is not satisfied!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:04 pm

More 747 problems - flight from Saudi

Another load of fuel dumping with a 747-400 fault after HKG earlier this week - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-24-hours.html

Seems that BA customer service in the outstations exemplified itself once again...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Lovely sensationalist headline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.