Wiki Posts
Search

BA it was good while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Meh
BA it was good while it lasted

After 10 years of huge commitment to BA and being a GCH during this time I have decided to jump ship to use various other airlines before deciding who I will stick with. But it is over with BA. I fly monthly in CW to North America/Asia and have decided now is the time. Surly crews that are p!ssed off with cost cutting and leaving it out on the customer, crap IFE (really poor), dirty old planes, average food, lack of CW updating to compete with CX for example, and then the GF lounge dining options which were the final straw.

I am actually excited to use CX/LF/Emirates etc to see if the faraway hills are actually greener. My limited experience on other airlines tells me they are.

BA may not care about losing individual customers (I own my company and we have 5 people travelling globally) but I was a BA loyalist until recently when I just felt things were going downhill, and I feel other more competitive, better options are out there.

But...IAG had great numbers this week so all is well and all middle and upper management will get their annual bonuses......to what expense?

No a rant in any way as the airline buisness is a tough one and I understand what BA is doing. I just do not want to be part of it.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:12 am

+1
^
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:13 am

You might want to keep some flights with BA as they are expected to announce lifetime Gold, after 10 years you may as well wait and see!

but yes the product as gone downhill.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
It makes no sense to be blindly loyal, as many here on FT do, to any one airline.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:51 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
The grass us not always greener

I agree with spreading your loyalty but to be fair to BA I was in a similar position with Virgin and I have tried EK in F which was terrible in both directions including a substituted 777 on the return which was a shed. Delta I am having terrible problems with bookings made with AA so prepare to be disappointed with whoever you choose, although so far my BA experiences have been excellent.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by holtju2
It makes no sense to be blindly loyal, as many here on FT do, to any one airline.
Or, indeed, to any one hotel chain!

Lifetime membership would be a fine solution - allowing the loyal-one to then move on to pastures new.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't recognise the airline you describe for 98% of my flights....but neither are BA the world's best either.

Flying other airlines is great as you'll uncover some real gems - like NZ who are simply superb.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:02 am

I don't think theres much better out there going West from LHR, but if you fly East you're mad to use BA.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stevie
No a rant in any way as the airline buisness is a tough one and I understand what BA is doing. I just do not want to be part of it.
This is entirely understandable, though my experiences (having just rolled of a BA A380 with a superb crew) is completely different. Hopefully you will be back before too long: I am a frequent flyer on Skyteam and Star Alliance, and though there are some great airlines in that mix, none of them are perfect by any means.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by phol
I don't think theres much better out there going West from LHR, but if you fly East you're mad to use BA.
+1 ^
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by phol
I know some people don't like the herringbone but AC premium first is much better than BA CW IMO. Well at least until something goes wrong when AC don't gove a cr@p.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I don't recognise the airline you describe for 98% of my flights....but neither are BA the world's best either.

Flying other airlines is great as you'll uncover some real gems - like NZ who are simply superb.
Sadly, I recognise the airline described in about 6/10 flights on average, including on my last flight having the call bell ignored three times in 10 minutes in F, when I wanted a glass of water and the belt sign was on, then getting a grossly overcooked lunch (special meal, so I couldn't even accept a substitute and had to lump it) and on my flight before (CW) when I had to call the crew on boarding, as my seat was covered in crumbs and dust and the floor area had lots of small pieces of torn paper on it.

It is not good enough and I have booked with another airline for my next TATL, as well as moving to EK for all eastbound flights from now on.

I can understand why the OP has dropped BA.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
Sadly, I recognise the airline described in about 6/10 flights on average, including on my last flight having the call bell ignored three times in 10 minutes in F, when I wanted a glass of water and the belt sign was on, then getting a grossly overcooked lunch (special meal, so I couldn't even accept a substitute and had to lump it) and on my flight before (CW) when I had to call the crew on boarding, as my seat was covered in crumbs and dust and the floor area had lots of small pieces of torn paper on it.

It is not good enough and I have booked with another airline for my next TATL, as well as moving to EK for all eastbound flights from now on.

I can understand why the OP has dropped BA.
When the seatbelt sign is on, how are the crew supposed to answer the bell and bring you a glass of water?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:48 am

Fully understand and agree with your view. Flying East in particular BA struggle.

(As an aside Final 3 greens - do I understand correctly you didn't get served when the seat belt sign was on?)
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stevie
No a rant in any way as the airline buisness is a tough one
Yes it must be extremely tough when the likes of CX go on a cost cutting exercise after falling into the red. QF have had to go Arab, NZ axe some long haul routes due to major losses, Lufty scale down the number of flights offering First Class and Virgin who some say offer the best lounge at LHR have been in deep poo for a while and are now only 51% British owned.

BA seem to have had the foresight to make some changes while others may have left it too late. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

At least you're prepared to move on.....some people just stay put and carry on moaning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.