FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Issues with JFK Lounge Access and Sleeper Service (Age Restrictions) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1489225-issues-jfk-lounge-access-sleeper-service-age-restrictions.html)

chehk Jul 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Issues with JFK Lounge Access and Sleeper Service (Age Restrictions)

Dear all,

Some of you might remember a thread many months ago in which I was not admitted to BA's JFK terraces lounge despite being in J on CX to HKG.
(http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...trictions.html)

There was ample discussion in this thread and varying opinions on the matter; one facet was, mostly, agreed upon was that the ultimate incarnation of my saga was if one was travelling in J, under the age of 21, alone on one of BA's sleeper services ex-JFK.

Well folks, I am now ticketed for January ex-JFK on the 176 and despite my being tantalizingly close to Mother's Against Drunk Driving's favourite age, I fear I shall be once again denied access. This is a redemption booking via CX and due to the limited options for redemption (and my own personal schedule) the sleeper services are the only option.

So, how am I to get some food prior to my flight? When should I notify BA of this issue (as I think it's slightly premature to do so now given the flight is 6 months away.

Look forward to your responses,
Chehk

710 77345 Jul 29, 2013 2:41 pm

I wouldn't worry - a hot meal is now served on Sleeper Services from the US.

dsk7 Jul 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Also should add that BA176 is apparently no longer a sleeper service - website is yet to be updated - so you will get a full meal onboard BA176 Sold Sleeper Service But Not

Genius1 Jul 29, 2013 3:16 pm

If you want to eat before your flight, there are a variety of places in the terminal.

Going by the rules, the agent shouldn't admit you to the Galleries lounge until you are 21 if travelling alone (although I agree that is quite ridiculous). Worth a try to get in though - just hand over your boarding pass (you may not get IDed).

The flight will have food available in Club World.

DeltaFlyingProf Jul 29, 2013 4:07 pm

As a related question, is there a minimum age to enter the J lounge in LHR? Either BA or AA in T-3 for that matter.
My 17 year old nephew is traveling tomorrow in J on BA to LHR and then AA to ORD and DFW.

Prospero Jul 29, 2013 4:13 pm

Technically, anyone under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a responsible adult. That is standard Exec Club policy.

Genius1 Jul 29, 2013 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf (Post 21178768)
As a related question, is there a minimum age to enter the J lounge in LHR? Either BA or AA in T-3 for that matter.
My 17 year old nephew is traveling tomorrow in J on BA to LHR and then AA to ORD and DFW.

Yes, minimum age is due to alcohol being freely available unsupervised in the lounge, so ages are linked to the legal age to purchase alcohol.

In the UK, this is 18.

Often1 Jul 29, 2013 5:01 pm

And 21 in New York State.

themapelligroup Jul 29, 2013 5:12 pm

I never had problems accessing the lounges in the UK and Europe in general travelling alone when I was under 18, though I was declined access last week in JFK.
That was pretty annoying but I knew that so I headed to the airport later than I'm used to do and I didn't wait for long.
I do agree this is ridiculous, this time I was flying WTP so I could access due to my silver status, but had I paid for a CW ticket without lounge access I would be quite upset.
The solution for under 21 traveling alone is IMO to go with AA, food choice is more limited but at least you don't have to roam in the terminal.

Skipcool3 Jul 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Is it the airline that says you can't access the lounge or is there a rule / law imposed by ?Government due to access to drink?

layz Jul 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 21179696)
Is it the airline that says you can't access the lounge or is there a rule / law imposed by ?Government due to access to drink?

As far as I know (and I find it ridiculous that the US treats adults like children until 21) because the BA lounges have self service alcohol then you can't enter under 21 unaccompanied. So you'd be fine in an Admirals Club (aattended bar), but not in an AA Flagship Lounge.

The whole notion that someone who's over 18 can't go into a lounge without being accompanied because of booze being available just seems crazy to me.

BA should have a plan B in place so 20 year old children can enjoy the pre-flight dining their ticket cost paid for. Maybe a token for a happy meal ;) In airline terms aren't adults over 12? I'm not saying a 13 year old unaccompanied should have access to fridges full of booze but anyone with an adult ticket should have pre-flight dining. Maybe strike a deal with a reasonable quality restaurant in the terminal (I was joking about the happy meal!)

Unaccompanied minors presumably can eat in their own waiting area.

cornishsimon Jul 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 21179696)

Think its Airline that says your cant come in unless your 18/21.

This I understand is to prevent the airline from being in breach of any licensing laws where under age persons could gain free access to various drink.

Would no doubt be a bit of a problem if BA lost its booze license as a result of some 14 year old who sniffed the red wine cork :D

cs

layz Jul 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon (Post 21179792)
Think its Airline that says your cant come in unless your 18/21.

This I understand is to prevent the airline from being in breach of any licensing laws where under age persons could gain free access to various drink.

Would no doubt be a bit of a problem if BA lost its booze license as a result of some 14 year old who sniffed the red wine cork :D

cs

Or in the case of the US someone who is 20 years and 364 days old accidentally touches a beer when reaching for the coke :D

BA did lose its licence in BOS a while ago but I think they got it back.

Think of the children!!!!

cornishsimon Jul 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by layz (Post 21179841)
Or in the case of the US someone who is 20 years and 364 days old accidentally touches a beer when reaching for the coke :D

BA did lose its licence in BOS a while ago but I think they got it back.

Think of the children!!!!

yeah :D

my reply was somewhat tongue in cheek but im sure you knew what I meant ;)

cs

layz Jul 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon (Post 21179849)
yeah :D

my reply was somewhat tongue in cheek but im sure you knew what I meant ;)

cs

Well after a few nights in a hotel and abstaining from alcohol I decided that I might as well start emptying the IC minibar as I'm a royal ambassador. So now I'm getting into the state CIHY was last night. ;)

Anyway, good to see you posting back in the BA forum.