Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Have Silver baggage privileges been downgraded ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

I have been a BA Silver Executive cardholder for a while, and one handy benefit was that when I travelled with family who were NOT then the WHOLE party was able to benefit from the heavy bag charge being waived.

So it meant we did not need to worry about weight of bags.

Just checking today, it seems that this has changed and that this waiver applies only to the Silver card member.

Is this a change ? When did it happen and why didn't BA notify Exec Club members ?

Is it the same for Gold ?

All insights are welcome !
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:31 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pps197
I have been a BA Silver Executive cardholder for a while, and one handy benefit was that when I travelled with family who were NOT then the WHOLE party was able to benefit from the heavy bag charge being waived.

So it meant we did not need to worry about weight of bags.

Just checking today, it seems that this has changed and that this waiver applies only to the Silver card member.

Is this a change ? When did it happen and why didn't BA notify Exec Club members ?

Is it the same for Gold ?

All insights are welcome !
I don't think it was ever a published benefit. In my experience discretion is sometimes used by check in agents, but you can't rely on that.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Something seems to have changed on June 6th. It certainly was a published benefit but now everything seems to have updated conditions.

Now the situation is everyone in the party gets the extra baggage allowance (by piece count) but only the cardholder gets the 32kg allowance.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

Last edited by NeverFirst; Jul 21, 2013 at 7:16 am
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: BA GGL
The loss of 32kg allowance for all on the same booking as a silver card holder is definitely a change -- I've got a screen shot of the BA webpage (not sure how to post a jpg) taken on 21st April '13 saying:

"The following frequent flyer members can check in two bags in all cabins, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater (except hand baggage only fares). This applies to all customers travelling in the same booking.
- British Airways Executive Club Silver
- oneworld Sapphire

The following frequent flyer members can take the maximum weight of 32kg per bag without paying the heavy bag charge. This applies to all customers travelling on the same booking.
- British Airways Executive Club Gold and Silver members
- oneworld Emerald and Sapphire"

Last edited by SleepySynapse; Jul 21, 2013 at 7:02 am Reason: clarified
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome pps197

Originally Posted by pps197
Welcome pps197 to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA area in particular. Silver cardholders are especially welcome here, so please make yourself at home. It's great to see you here, and please continue to participate. Thank you for your question too, however I am somewhat unable to help, I don't check in bags (and the thought of travelling with 32 kgs just blows my mind!). The only thing I do know is that the 32 kgs limit has been discretionary, in the sense that the fee for excess weight is waved. I must admit I thought it applies to all on the same booking with the Silver or Gold cardholder. If it did change recently I am surprised it hasn't been brought up before in fairly robust terms.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:41 am

Im not a fan of discretionary guidelines. Far too inconsistent. If there is a rule then it should be enforced but any written info made very clear. Which seems to be the case now.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
The baggage rules for status holders have changed several times in the last few months since they opened them up to OW Sapphires/Emeralds (from 1st March I believe).

They have made the following changes, all unannounced and quietly:
  • Excluded hand baggage only fares
  • Excluded group booking fares
  • Excluded the 32Kg per bag from everyone but the cardholder
  • Revamped the page (looked just now!) to a new style/format
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 000
They have made the following changes, all unannounced and quietly:
  • Excluded hand baggage only fares
  • Excluded group booking fares
  • Excluded the 32Kg per bag from everyone but the cardholder
  • Revamped the page (looked just now!) to a new style/format
They have made another change too. F and CW now have a 32kg allowance, which is a tiny bit better than the previous heavy bag fee waiver.

BA now has to accept 32kg per piece from these passengers whilst before this was (technically) optional.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to FT pps197. ^
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
... BA now has to accept 32kg per piece from these passengers whilst before this was optional.
They always had to before, it wasn't a discretionary waiver not to charge the excess fee it was a published waiver.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
They always had to before, it wasn't a discretionary waiver not to charge the excess fee it was a published waiver.
It makes a difference though if checking in with another airline connecting onto BA where the BA allowance applies. If published as 3x32Kg, then will be allowed 32Kg regardless. If the allowance is 3x23Kg and BA just chooses to waive charging it, can still be charged excess amounts
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It makes a difference though if checking in with another airline connecting onto BA where the BA allowance applies. If published as 3x32Kg, then will be allowed 32Kg regardless. If the allowance is 3x23Kg and BA just chooses to waive charging it, can still be charged excess amounts
You suggest BA had a discretionary choice, that was not the case. The allowance for Gold and Silver (and those included in the booking) was 32kg, it was a published benefit that heavy baggage fees would be waived.

The only substantive change is that the 'waiver' now only applies to the cardholder. The cardholder's perk has not changed, they still get the 32kg, BA have simply changed the language for clarity.

When interlining I was never asked for excess baggage fees.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You suggest BA had a discretionary choice, that was not the case. The allowance for Gold and Silver (and those included in the booking) was 32kg, it was a published benefit that heavy baggage fees would be waived.

The only substantive change is that the 'waiver' now only applies to the cardholder. The cardholder's perk has not changed, they still get the 32kg, BA have simply changed the language for clarity.

When interlining I was never asked for excess baggage fees.
Since BA simply waived charging, the ticketed allowance would be 23Kg per piece

If checking in with airline XX connecting to BA on a through itinerary where BA was the carrier whose allowance applies, the allowance would be only 23Kg per piece, not 32Kg and charges could be applied

By changing the ticketed allowance to 32Kg per piece, this problem would not occur
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Since BA simply waived charging, the ticketed allowance would be 23Kg per piece

If checking in with airline XX connecting to BA on a through itinerary where BA was the carrier whose allowance applies, the allowance would be only 23Kg per piece, not 32Kg and charges could be applied

By changing the ticketed allowance to 32Kg per piece, this problem would not occur
This is correct.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:23 am

Now I know what the check in agent was talking about when I went to Prague last month.

He must have thought I was a right DYKWIA when I was insisting that everyone on the same ticket had 32Kgs. As between the 3 of us we had 6 x 32 kgs

I guess the extra item is still useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.