Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT - Impact of Crossrail on Heathrow Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Impact of Crossrail on Heathrow Express

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
What's that got to do with it?

If you put an overhead DLR style railway from LHR into an existing station to link into existing services there is no change to the current level crossing operation.
Errrr maybe increased frequencies on the bit with level crossings means the barriers are down more
Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:44 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
Errrr maybe increased frequencies on the bit with level crossings means the barriers are down more
Errr, what increased frequencies on the bit with level crossings?

The clue was to link "into existing services". Exactly why and when would the barriers be down more if a link is made to an existing station and pax simply got onto existing train services?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Correct.

But why can't they look at a DLR style 2-3 mile overhead railway (so no level crossings required) linking T5 to Staines railway station. It could be mainly run alongside the Stanwell Moor Road. Or to Ashford station along the B378.
Originally Posted by BOH
What's that got to do with it?

If you put an overhead DLR style railway from LHR into an existing station to link into existing services there is no change to the current level crossing operation.
Originally Posted by BOH
Errr, what increased frequencies on the bit with level crossings?

The clue was to link "into existing services". Exactly why and when would the barriers be down more if a link is made to an existing station and pax simply got onto existing train services?
The level crossing problems are both up and down line from Staines. ie towards London from Staines and out to the home counties from Staines. With me?
So why are you suggesting the DLR type scheme from T5 to Staines? The level crossings are obviously not an issue here.
If you link into existing services, where is the spare capacity on these trains?
You'd also have to change trains unless Staines was your final destination.
A few hundred million quid for what exactly?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:44 pm
BOH

The level crossing problems are both up and down line from Staines. ie towards London from Staines and out to the home counties from Staines.
I know that, my previous company did all the traffic simulations (including an LX analysis) for the original Airtrack scheme

So why are you suggesting the DLR type scheme from T5 to Staines? The level crossings are obviously not an issue here.
Errr, because a DLR style scheme from T5 to Staines station allows connectivity into the existing system, using existing services running to the existing timetable...without any change to the level crossing close time. At the moment there is no connection into the Reading and Waterloo services and in the absence of the original Airtrack scheme, a light railway scheme would allow some connectivity.

If you link into existing services, where is the spare capacity on these trains?
Well, pretty much every train service in the SE is congested at peak times. A 3-4 car DLR style link every 20 minutes is not going to dump an extra 500-1000 pax into Staines station each time is it?

You'd also have to change trains unless Staines was your final destination.
No, really? That's the whole idea, as already stated, in the absence of the original Airtrack it is a way of connecting into existing services from Staines. But hey, thats exactly as folks do who catch the HEX and their end destination is not Paddington - they have to change onto the Underground or take a taxi to their end destination. So what's the difference?

A few hundred million quid for what exactly?
The current price for driverless, low speed (circa 30-40mph) overhead DLR style plain line railway, with no intermediate stations or junctions is about £7-8M per mile for the infrastructure. A litle bit different to your "a few hundred million"
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
I know that, my previous company did all the traffic simulations (including an LX analysis) for the original Airtrack scheme

Errr, because a DLR style scheme from T5 to Staines station allows connectivity into the existing system, using existing services running to the existing timetable...without any change to the level crossing close time. At the moment there is no connection into the Reading and Waterloo services and in the absence of the original Airtrack scheme, a light railway scheme would allow some connectivity.

Well, pretty much every train service in the SE is congested at peak times. A 3-4 car DLR style link every 20 minutes is not going to dump an extra 500-1000 pax into Staines station each time is it?

You've convinced me

No, really? That's the whole idea, as already stated, in the absence of the original Airtrack it is a way of connecting into existing services from Staines. But hey, thats exactly as folks do who catch the HEX and their end destination is not Paddington - they have to change onto the Underground or take a taxi to their end destination. So what's the difference?

The current price for driverless, low speed (circa 30-40mph) overhead DLR style plain line railway, with no intermediate stations or junctions is about £7-8M per mile for the infrastructure. A litle bit different to your "a few hundred million"
You've convinced me

Last edited by hammythehammer; Jul 23, 2013 at 5:18 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:24 pm
BOH

You've convinced me
I must have done because you posted that twice, even managing to embed one of them into my own post
Old May 24, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: 𓂀
Looks like there'll be a surcharge but included in the oyster cap and travelcard's will be permitted.

Elizabeth line passengers travelling between zone 1 stations in central London and Heathrow will be charged £12.10 at peak times and £10.10 off-peak. That is more than double the tube prices of £5.10 peak and £3.10 off-peak.

However, zone 1-6 travelcards will be permitted and the daily cap for multiple journeys will match the price of tube and bus travel of £12.50.

Source
Old May 24, 2018, 5:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
This seems a good place to close this old thread and direct further contributions to the UK & Ireland forum, where there’s already been considerable discussion of changes to Heathrow Express / Connect services and fares.

Changes to Heathrow Express conditions. Replacement of Heathrow Connect Service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.