FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Fees for cancelling Avios booking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1485460-fees-cancelling-avios-booking.html)

seawolf Jul 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Fees for cancelling Avios booking

If I need to cancel an Avios booking, do I pay both the Cancellation/Avios redeposit fee ($40) and the Service Centre fee ($25)? Thanks.

BA6501 Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm

If you do it over the phone, yes, unless you're BAEC Gold in which case both free.

stifle Jul 16, 2013 2:32 pm

However, the fees will not exceed the amount of taxes, fees, and charges you paid when you bought the ticket. So if it was a US domestic and you paid $2.50, then you just lose that.

jacobitetraveller Jul 16, 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 21108093)
However, the fees will not exceed the amount of taxes, fees, and charges you paid when you bought the ticket. So if it was a US domestic and you paid $2.50, then you just lose that.

are you telling me that a US domestic flight using avios has charges of only $2.50 whereas here in the UK we pay £15 charges per domestic flight ????

BA6501 Jul 16, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm sure it's an example, but it is close to that. It's just the Avios for Japanese domestic flights, no taxes whatsoever, as well.

seawolf Jul 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller (Post 21108121)
are you telling me that a US domestic flight using avios has charges of only $2.50 whereas here in the UK we pay £15 charges per domestic flight ????

one way.

jacobitetraveller Jul 16, 2013 4:27 pm

yes one way

bajrbajr Jul 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller (Post 21108121)

don't blame BA... it's government fees.

another example of the difference in award ticket taxes fees...
NYC-LHR on UA taxes & fees are $2.50
LHR-NYC on UA taxes & fees are $177.10
FRA-NYC on UA taxes & fees are $120.60

I used UA as an example because they don't add a fuel surcharge.

booked through BA (flights on Air Berlin with no fuel surcharge)
JFK-DUS taxes & fees are $2.50
DUS-JFK taxes & fees are $99.21

TravellingSalesman Jul 23, 2013 11:58 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 21108093)

In a situation where the cancellation fee is larger than the taxes/fees/charges, do I still get the avios back? I.e., you just get a break on the fees?

jerry a. laska Jul 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman (Post 21145400)
In a situation where the cancellation fee is larger than the taxes/fees/charges, do I still get the avios back? I.e., you just get a break on the fees?

Yes. As long as you cancel at least 24 hours before.

04 Ticket changes and cancellations

Date or time changes are permitted up to 24 hours prior to the departure of the first flight sector on your ticket. There is a change fee (£25/€25/US$40) plus an additional offline fee (£15/€15/US$25) which applies when the change is made via your local BAEC service centre

Cancellations are also permitted. So long as you cancel your ticket no later than 24 hours prior to the departure of the first flight sector on your ticket, you will receive a full refund of Avios Points as well as the taxes, fees, and surcharges paid minus a nominal redeposit fee (£25/€25/US$40). The additional offline fee also applies to redeposits.

For the complete fee table, see http://www.britishairways.com/travel...l/public/en_gb
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19160483-post1.html

sadiqhassan Dec 9, 2013 3:36 pm

Sorry to bump and old thread. I cancelled a cash + avios ($2 tax and $90 cash) booking online and made another booking for the same flight through a different method. The refund online was stated as $90 (and I lose the $2 tax). However, the refund never went through and after calling BA, they said the rest of the $40 cancellation fee will come from the cash part and I won't get the entire $90 back.

Is this correct? Was there a glitch online? If I had known about this when cancelling, I wouldn't have refunded the ticket but now I am stuck as I have already booked another non refundable ticket instead.

Thanks!

corporate-wage-slave Dec 10, 2013 12:22 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 21934571)
Is this correct? Was there a glitch online? If I had known about this when cancelling, I wouldn't have refunded the ticket but now I am stuck as I have already booked another non refundable ticket instead.

I am sure you will have read jerry's response, so yes it is correct, unless you are BA Gold. If the cash component was below $40 then they don't come after you for more money, but that's the nature of the deal I am afraid. If the on screen message was ambiguous and you kept a screen print of it, then presumably you could take that to customer services.

sadiqhassan Dec 17, 2013 7:12 am

Just an update for anyone who has a similar Q in the future:

The taxes ($2.xx) were forfeited and the full cash value was refunded without the balance of the change fee being charged. This is what BA had originally said online and not what the agent had said on the phone. ^

rbsandkms Jun 21, 2014 9:33 am

Another data point. I just cancelled an online booking I made yesterday over the phone. Booked an American Airlines flight. Online, clicking on the "Cancellation Options" indicated that I could not cancel online. Had looked around the web and it was suggested that within 24 hours of making the booking, you could receive a full refund for a cancellation. So far, this appears to be the case for me. Avios were back in my account immediately. Agent indicated the $5 refund (it was two one-way tickets) would come back in 8-10 days. No charges for using the phone, and certainly no extra charges for cancelling.

alwaysquestions Jun 21, 2014 9:52 am

Sorry to ask but I'm not 100% sure of the situation even after reading through the related threads.

We have booked Mrs AQ and son using a 241 on a Far East trip. Cost is 105K avios plus £1000 for fees etc,
Son may now have to cancel due to a new job, could I clarify what we should expect to get back.
Mrs AQ is Bronze, son is Blue
Regards
AQ