Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mario
What was I supposed to do then? Act all OCD and say, "oh, you see, I'm a FTer and as such I should know better and I'm not supposed to look at this". Really?
Don't worry about it. Hope that the G&T was enjoyable.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
I am not sure why CIV is so important, some staff know it, some don't. It just seems to be a gauge of how self important someone feels about themselves on here. I have G, I get G benefits. I don't quite make GGL. Yeah I would like the Joker and the GUF2's, but being able to type, I have a CIV of X does not seem to affect my flying in any way at all Each to their own
I don't feel the need to justify my reasons, but I'll bite.

It was A JOKE! I couldn't care less if my CIV is 1 or 1000. It just happened that I was travelling with someone who knows what the CIV is and it all started with a bit of banter, in the style of "mine is bigger than yours" sort of thing.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by matthandy
Don't worry about it. Hope that the G&T was enjoyable.
No ice or lemon were loaded on the flight. But it was still a very pleasant trip
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mario
... No harm done. Nobody was hurt. Common sense prevailed.
Sadly, that's not always the case on FlyerTalk!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:47 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by angatol
Even worse, sat in ET I overheard the CC identifying a passenger in CE by name, obviously disclosing the class of ticket they held. I think people who buy CE tickets should be distributed between both cabins to prevent such a breach.
Perhaps safer to lock the CE pax in the toilets to reduce the risk of their identities being disclosed?

"Can't be too careful..."
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:33 am

This whole "serious breach" discussion is not leading us anywhere. A set of data may be entirely innocent for one person and very sensitive to another. Which is why personal data needs protection. The fact that 99.9% of the time it is not critical and no damage is done is not going to be of any help to the 0.1% where it does damage.

And yes, even trivial data can turn nasty when it is combined with other data.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
The UK does not need more people to throw around the Data Protection Act without understanding it.
Here here, Sky TV really wound me up by quoting the data protection act when I told them the box was faulty. Sky TV is in my wife's name. I explained I did not want any data exchanging, just a new box. Too many people misinterpret it and then use bad customer service techniques 'data protection act prevents me from...' No it doesn't, your judgement on the phonecall leaves you to believe it may breach the DPA, and in most cases, you simply do not think about what is being asked of you.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Short Final
Plus its unlikely you'll be able to read much off a boarding pass at a distance, you can read substantially more off a manifest you are much closer too, and even more off a manifest you have been physically handed by an idiot of a crew member !

The cabin crew member's actions were unjustifiable, please stop trying to defend him/her.
As someone that reads a passenger manifest daily, I disagree that it is easier to read than a boarding pass or that it contains more information. The passenger manifest is printed on a ...... dot matrix printer in the lightest draft mode available and is then folded twelve teen times so that the carbon paper leaves lines across everywhere, where upon it arrives in your hands full of scribble and adjustments and you have to make some sense of it.

In my opinion, the staff member was being polite, but could have been equally polite by saying she could not offer it to the person requesting. Equally, the OP asked a simple question in a polite manner.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: Executive Club, AMEX, Club Carlson, Tesco clubcard, Nectar, Odeon
Sounds like somebody acted like a total douche equipment by bigging themselves up.

Fair enough probably I would do the same after a couple of drinks.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by globalste
or that it contains more information.
Of course it contains more information ! It contains everyone's information, rather than the one or two boarding passes someone may or may not have been able to read.

Hence it is a much bigger deal.

Originally Posted by globalste
In my opinion, the staff member was being polite
Being polite ? Are you serious ?

Being polite for breaching company policy that he/she was trained in ? Being polite by handing a confidential document to a passenger ?

Seriously ! Clumsy, irresponsible, unprofessional, idiotic, "temporary lapse of judgement"...... any number of words, but not "being polite" !

There is no excuse for his/her actions whatsoever.

Last edited by Short Final; Jul 17, 2013 at 8:55 am
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold

But what could really happen after someone takes a look at that list? They see that a Mr James Smith is in seat 4A. What can be done with that? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

What about when at airports there's an announcement that goes over the whole terminals PA system and announces "Please will Mr Smith proceed to gate as your flight is about to depart"?

I really fail to see why this is such an issue, as I think the manifest only shows limited information anyway.

Please don't quote the "attacking a celebrity" argument. Celebs walk around every day and are very rarely attacked, the chances are so low that anything would happen.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Short Final
The act of the cabin crew handing/showing the PIL to a passenger was a serious breach. It is impossible to see how it could be otherwise.
Hacking Millie Dowler's voicemail was a serious breach of privacy. A passenger having a peek at the passenger manifest is about as serious as the wrong shaped ice cube in your G & T.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: MUCCI
stevieed,

Just because you can't think of anything that could go wrong, and you don't care about your personal data.... doesn't mean there are a multitude of possible scenarios that could occur, and that others do care about their personal data and do read the privacy policies ( I don't see it anywhere on the BA privacy policy that says my personal information will be released to other passengers .... BA are therefore in breach of contract if they permit it to be released in bulk form in such a nonchalant manner as was demonstrated by this cabin crew member).

Just because occurrences of events are rare, it does not mean we should not defend against them. Terrorist attacks are relatively rare... and yet vast amounts of resource gets poured into defending against it. Same thing goes for the personal information on the manifest (apart from you don't need to spend millions protecting it.... just spend a little more time ensuring cabin crew have the Data Protection Training reinforced !).

The facts are :
- The crew member was in the wrong, no two ways about it. His/Her actions were indefensible and deeply unprofessional and went against all training he/she received.
- Like it or not, the manifest is a confidential document containing personal information as defined by the Data Protection Act. The document is the property of British Airways. BA have a legal obligation to protect such documents under their custody.

Quite honestly this thread has run its course, I think it might be time to let it disappear into the murky depths of the FlyerTalk archives.

Last edited by Short Final; Jul 17, 2013 at 9:33 am
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london
Proof if any was needed this forum is now populated by whingers, underemployed lawyers and those who need to get a bigger view on my life...
^^^

Absolutely. It has become a repository for the bored, the stupid, and Short Final's misunderstandings of the law

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.