Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
The OP may want to look up the definition of the word "incite".
Perhaps you should do the same, because if you are suggesting the OP incited the crew member into handing over the PIL you are wrong.

As for the seriousness - I would rather the authorities go after Google and their refusal to delete the Street View data, than worry about something as trivial as a passenger manifest being seen for a few seconds.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:32 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
It is even against the Data Protection Law for us to confirm if someone else is onboard the flight.
BA break this rule all the time for me then.
Someone call the police.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold

Some people on this forum make me chuckle. I'm never flying with BA ever again. Maybe. Well I might.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
Perhaps you should do the same, because if you are suggesting the OP incited the crew member into handing over the PIL you are wrong.
Originally Posted by mario
I then proceeded to explain to her, roughly, what the CIV score was and where it could be found on the PIL: "it's the two-digit number next to the pax card type". Still, confused, she just handed over the PIL to us so that we could have a look for ourselves.
incite
/inˈsīt/
Verb
Encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).
Urge or persuade (someone) to act in a violent or unlawful way: "he incited loyal subjects to rebellion".
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le mdecin personnel PUCCI GALORE
We have been around and around about CIV scores over the past few years. This conversation has been repeated before I'm sure. You are of course perfectly within your rights to ask to see it. This can however be done discreetly but if the crew member doesn't even know where it is then I'd argue its usefulness (as a number that one needs to know).

For those who are desperate to know, it is a number that BA assigns to the passenger that rates them on a scale from 0? to 100. Golds start at 36 - which I've always found amusing since this is the highest OW tier (emerald) and it only ranks just over a third of the way up the scale. Make of this what you will

I'm sure back office systems can utilise this number for op-ups but, as we all know, these are often last minute and not necessarily predictable by any airlines IT systems. Otherwise they would not be done at the gate and it would be a seamless passage from check in to seat - knowing immediately where you would be sitting and what awaited you.

And if the OP was as inebriated as they might be, I doubt any of your personal data was recalled. Lets face it - what is on the manifest anyway? Name, seat number, OW status. Of course you could always be identified as a vegetarian
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by IceInTheCider
Some people on this forum make me chuckle. I'm never flying with BA ever again. Maybe. Well I might.
I can assure you I am dead serious when I say I will not fly them again for the rest of the day. They annoyed me so very much I may not even fly them tomorrow. I'm fairly sure I will have cooled down enough by the time the weekend comes and I'll want to get home to the people I love...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
Let me start off by saying that the OP was way out of line in asking for the PIL. It is one thing for a BA employee who may not have been aware of the full scope of the UK privacy regulation to hand over a sensitive and private document, but it is way worse for someone to incite this sort of inappropriate behaviour. The OP being intoxicated may explain this, but it certainly does not excuse it.
I don't understand. Are you saying asking for private data is worse than handing it out?

I can see why you are unhappy with the crew member, but what has the OP done? He asked for his own CIV score, information about himself. But even if he had asked for the manifest, what line would he have crossed? He didn't force the crew member to hand it out, or tried to trick him...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by badoc
For those who are desperate to know, it is a number that BA assigns to the passenger that rates them on a scale from 0? to 100. Golds start at 36 - which I've always found amusing since this is the highest OW tier (emerald) and it only ranks just over a third of the way up the scale
That's fair enough, there's plenty of silvers that are worth way more than golds and should therefore have a higher CIV (it must make some difference somewhere to some system)

What confuses me is that once you hit GGL, your CIV is 97-99, giving hardly difference to someone earning 15ktp a year at 150k/year, and someone earning 3ktp a year at 6k/year.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
I don't understand. Are you saying asking for private data is worse than handing it out?.
I think you understand very well.

You knew very well the only place the CIV could be found was on the PIL.

You saw the crew member was unable to find your value for you.

You continued to push, knowing what the likely result was.

Sure the crew member should have refused, and I hope some other crew member saw what happened and that the offending crew member will be made subject to a thorough disciplinary hearing and retraining. However you should not have encouraged the behavour, and you should not have accepted the document when offered to you.

Last edited by Short Final; Jul 16, 2013 at 3:40 pm
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

So what is more important for me, my CIV score or my batting/bowling averages? The latter are liable to be bigger numbers than my CIV?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Short Final
I think you understand very well.

You knew very well the only place the CIV could be found was on the PIL.

You saw the crew member was unable to find your value for you.

You continued to push, knowing what the likely result was.

Sure the crew member should have refused, and I hope some other crew member saw what happened and that the offending crew member will be made subject to a thorough disciplinary hearing and retraining. However you should not have encouraged the behavour, and you should not have accepted the document when offered to you.
Proof if any was needed this forum is now populated by whingers, underemployed lawyers and those who need to get a bigger view on my life...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Proof if any was needed this forum is now populated by whingers, underemployed lawyers and those who need to get a bigger view on my life...
If someone wants their information to be made public, they will post it on Facebook or Twitter at their own will and under their own steam.

If they undertake a transaction with a commercial entity, then there is an implied expectation of privacy, and in the case of an airline an expectation of security and safety. What if there was some high-profile individual on board, and the drunken people decided they didn't like them for political or whatever reasons and would go for some air rage ? (not saying it was the case in this particular situation, just speaking in general).

As BA staffers who have posted on this thread have pointed out, it was a big no no on the part of the cabin crew member. That sort of behaviour absolutely cannot be condoned, and if it were not for the wonders of employment law requiring disciplinary hearings, should be a sackable offence. Data Protection needs to be taken seriously and dealt with in the most severe terms when breaches are made. It is disgraceful, despicable and deeply unprofessional behaviour on the part of the cabin crew member involved.

However, as the originator was a FlyerTalk member, they should also have known better than to continue pushing too.

Last edited by Short Final; Jul 16, 2013 at 4:51 pm
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
You were being competitive about your CIV score? Some people need to get a life
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by olybeast
Some people need to get a life
Well I have no interest in finding out what mine is.....

I'm pretty sure I read on here that this CIV thing is all about to change anyway because it's a flawed system.
Having said that I've read many things on here which never came to fruition.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:31 pm

My CIV is a lowly 36 despite having just made gold again within 9 months.
I think a lot has to do with the type of tickets you purchase as opposed to the class you fly. I'm partial to tactical sale fares in Club so invariably I'm booked in I class. Or sometimes in Europe I might take a pro active upgrade offer to Club if I need the tier points but ultimately I'm still paying a fraction of what some tickets are costing. I'm imagining if I book flexible C or J class tickets then my score might increase but I don't want to do this. Also if like me a fair chunk of your gold comes from flying OW partners then I'm also guessing that this will have no bearing to BA on how they individually "value" or score you in this rating. My thought process is it just sorts the wheat from the chaff in identifying who out of all the status card holders who might be on board are the most commercially important to the airline in terms of revenue spend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.