Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whatever happened to Gillian Rutherford?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Jordan D

Sadly, it's views like this that reinforce the viewpoint that people of a certain age are unwilling to learn about the benefits of social media and what can be gained from it.
Sadly, it's views like this that totally miss the point.

I am far from 'unwilling to learn about the benefits of social media'.

FT aside () I've got far more valuable things to do with my life (wife, children, work, social life) than devote time to social media. Being 'of a certain age' hasn't prevented me from understanding the benefits of, and being a very heavy user, of, the internet and business-related software.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Sadly, it's views like this that totally miss the point.

I am far from 'unwilling to learn about the benefits of social media'.

FT aside () I've got far more valuable things to do with my life (wife, children, work, social life) than devote time to social media. Being 'of a certain age' hasn't prevented me from understanding the benefits of, and being a very heavy user, of, the internet and business-related software.
I appreciate that, but I would have thought that as someone not living in your home country you would find social media quite helpful to keep up with the family. Besides, isn't Flyertalk a form of social media too?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Interestingly the fasting growing - and heaviest using - segment of social media are old people (55 and over)..
But only if you believe the figures and quite frankly I think they are vastly over exaggerated......and what exactly comes under social media?

Anyway....Gillian is probably retied an collecting her pension by now....so unlikely to have contributed to Limkedin. I know I haven't and I'm only a youngster.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
But only if you believe the figures and quite frankly I think they are vastly over exaggerated......and what exactly comes under social media?
Social media is Facebook primarily but also Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram in the main. Linked In is still pretty niche. I do believe the numbers as they come from real world data i.e. live active accounts and not market research.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Social media is Facebook primarily but also Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram in the main. Linked In is still pretty niche. I do believe the numbers as they come from real world data i.e. live active accounts and not market research.
I see Skype and suchlike comes under SM as well which is probably well used by the oldies to keep in touch with family.
Still think the figures are a bit dodgy and just what determines an active account? Logging in once a year? That's a bit like The Times claiming me as a reader even though I only buy it once a year to get the weather forecast when I'm on holiday.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Whatever happened to Gillian Rutherford?

As the good David Cameron said... "Too many tweets makes a tw** "
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:25 am

I am obsessed with Kenyan colonial history and I am currently reading a book titled Endless Horizons by Michael Prettejon and he talks of his wife Gillian Rutherfurd. I wonder if this is who you are referring to. The Prettejohn’s are still prominent in Kenya and you can look them up on social media or atleast their children and grandchildren with that last name. You can also contact ‘old African magazine’ and they do a great job compiling stories of colonial Kenya. Hope this helped !!!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
There is a Gilly Rutherford on the book of faces who is ex British Caledonian - may be the same person? You could always send her a PM.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Note to Mods - please forgive my use of a real name as I'm not sure how else to proceed, so please edit appropriately...

I have been traveling with my father the last few days through the Utah canyons in America (something on his bucket list!) and during one of our dinners filled with conversation, our subject turned to the amount of travel he had done on BA when he was still working. He had flown a tremendous amount on BA, was one of the early Gold Card holders and told a few stories about an extraordinary woman named Gillian Rutherford, who in (I guess it must have been) the '80s and '90s worked first in the BA F lounge in T3, then worked for special services. Dad had this incredible story of how, when he and Mum were mugged in Kenya and she had her UK passport stolen, he called "Gilly" and asked her to meet his mother in law who had Mum's USA passport, and give it to the pilot of the next flight to NBO. And she did it!

I marveled at the extraordinary level of service this represented, and Dad said he thought she had retired from BA some years ago.

I'm just wondering if, amongst the older members here (my Dad turns 75 this year) anyone remembers Gilly, or if not, have any similar stories of extraordinary service in days of old that I might be able to pass on to my Dad who I think would very much enjoy this forum?

Thank you!
Can't help with finding Gillian, but there are many stories of that sort of above n beyond service! Off the top of my head (all LGW stories) check in agent taking an UNMIN home after aircraft night stopped, same but with taking an elderly lady home rather than abandoning her to a vast lonely hotel for the night. Check in agent loaning a pax his personal golf clubs after the pax own clubs were left behind in GLA. Taking staff pax home after being bumped to save on hotel cost, storing winter coats belonging to F class pax on the BGI in our rest room to save carrying them to BGI for 2 weeks..Many more I'm sure, these just spring to mind quickly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.