Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BBC World: feature on frequent flyer programmes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards

See this clip.

It includes a BAEC Gold card holder unhappy with the lack of reward availability. OTOH, he came across as not willing to be very flexible with the dates or destination (one if which was LHR-SYD...).

The recommendations at the end ("book early", "use your miles[Avios] to upgrade") seem reasonable.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
the guy at the end basically says the whole scheme is a hassle and he would rather pay cash for the ticket. He should join FT and learn about becoming a tesco tourist
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: ABBA
As a gold card holder he can fly to Sydney on any flight he wants for 200k return. He can go in business for 400k return, and first for 600k return, no availability problems, just book a month in advance.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by olybeast
the guy at the end basically says the whole scheme is a hassle and he would rather pay cash for the ticket. He should join FT and learn about becoming a tesco tourist
Don't encourage them!

His gripe was with KrisFlyer and SQ though.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:41 am

The guy also suggested booking the cheapest economy ticket and using miles to upgrade. Not sure how successful a strategy that is going to be...

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MNManInKen
Quote:

Originally Posted by olybeast

Don't encourage them!

His gripe was with KrisFlyer and SQ though.
Perhaps new seats are not the answer for everyone then.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
'Book the cheapest economy tickets and upgrade ...'

This so called expert is an idiot ! Not the first time he's given incorrect advice and no doubt not the last.

As to the couple - they ignored the first rule of booking using miles - check both the cash price AND the price using miles before booking.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
'Book the cheapest economy tickets and upgrade ...'

This so called expert is an idiot ! Not the first time he's given incorrect advice and no doubt not the last.

As to the couple - they ignored the first rule of booking using miles - check both the cash price AND the price using miles before booking.
As usual, journalists aren't very good with detail. My point was that the advice to use Avios for a cabin upgrade instead of using them to book in Y is essentially a good one - albeit he should have explained further the need to ensure you're in an eligible fare class, the need to check for availability etc.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As usual, journalists aren't very good with detail. My point was that the advice to use Avios for a cabin upgrade instead of using them to book in Y is essentially a good one - albeit he should have explained further the need to ensure you're in an eligible fare class, the need to check for availability etc.
That is his problem - he is a supposed expert but actually knows very little and often gives incorrect advice ' EU261 will cover you' etc.

He has previously given advice on ex-AMS flights for example but does not explain all the risks.

He could have used the time in his report to much better effect.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Very interesting clip.

The chap at the end who summed it all up as "a hassle" has a point since it does take a while to work out how it all works. If you are in the market for one economy class ticket a year and are not bothered about J or F travel then there might be something to be said for just paying the cheapest fare on the day.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The chap at the end who summed it all up as "a hassle" has a point since it does take a while to work out how it all works.
Yes, I thought about that too. And the SQ couple didn't come across a real FF to me, so I can see how for people like that the intricacies of FF programmes can be daunting and unhelpful.

If you're really a frequent flyer though, then I think you need to ensure you get to grips with the relevant details.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're really a frequent flyer though, then I think you need to ensure you get to grips with the relevant details.
Taking the idea a little further, once you have been a frequent flyer and taken the time to work out how everything fits together you can enjoy the benefits for many years afterwards.

This year I am not flying so much, but because I understand how UUAs work I have been able to get two great deals on the two longhaul trips I have booked.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
'This so called expert is an idiot ! Not the first time he's given incorrect advice and no doubt not the last.
Oo er, that sounds categorical! Sure you're not talking about SRB, easyJet, MO'L or sundry other red rags to BAEC FTers?

FWIW the 'idiot' is a respected journalist and traveller. I have learned more from him than from any individual on FT, with the probable exception of Raffles.

Simon's advice in the time available, as modified by MNManInKen, is sound and probably understable for the average viewer.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
Oo er, that sounds categorical! Sure you're not talking about SRB, easyJet, MO'L or sundry other red rags to BAEC FTers?

FWIW the 'idiot' is a respected journalist and traveller. I have learned more from him than from any individual on FT, with the probable exception of Raffles.

Simon's advice in the time available, as modified by MNManInKen, is sound and probably understable for the average viewer.
And WW is right all the time too is he??

Being 'respected' does not automatically Simon Calder right - as I have said he has previously given incorrect information.

In that 6 minute report he could have done far more to explain the ins and out of FF programmes and reward bookings and educate the public but he chose not to.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In that 6 minute report he could have done far more to explain the ins and out of FF programmes and reward bookings and educate the public but he chose not to.
And the public would say "BORING!"

Unfortunately when faced with a message along the lines of "with a little hard work you can get a lot more for your money" many people switch off.

They want to hear "here is something for nothing", or if that is not achievable "this poor person was promised something for nothing but did not get it, so let's attack the big business".

Originally Posted by General Public
I don't know what I want but I do know I want it for free and I want it now

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Jul 13, 2013 at 7:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.