Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow closed : 16:30hrs 12 July '13 - [Empty plane fire, parked Ethiopian B787]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow closed : 16:30hrs 12 July '13 - [Empty plane fire, parked Ethiopian B787]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
From the pics I have seen the fire is just in front of the tail fin.

So a problem with the electrics in the Galley area rather than the batteries which are to the middle and front and on the underside on the plane.??
I am going to call it now. FA left an oven on and it overheated and caught fire.

You heard it here first.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Spoddy
I would hazard a guess that it's a knee-jerk safety precaution on their part.

Time will tell, but I'm sure everyone on that plane (and their families) will be happy if it was a potential fault that could've occurred during their flight.

Having said that - if that's the case, then why aren't more 787's being grounded right now?
The Thomson flight (TOM126) turned back about 1PM, well before the fire.

Based on the fact the Ethiopian plane caught fire on the ground, the safest thing would be to keep the 787s in the air as long as possible
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by apodo77
I am going to call it now. FA left an oven on and it overheated and caught fire.
I hope someone is going to sue Boeing for the scandalous design that meant no warning light went on somewhere to warn the oven was left on. After all, my car has a light that tells me the bonnet is open.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses

Spoke too soon. Now a four hour delay.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:28 am

SAS lounge

Anyone in the SAS lounge that can invite me in?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Where are the battery packs in the 787? (Or should I stop worrying about facts and just idly speculate?)

Is this just a malfunction in galley equipment that - in a bad-luck coincidence for Boeing - wiped out $4b of market value?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by andset1191
Sitting in the GLA lounge. Trying to get to AMS to start an ex-EU tomorrow.

Flight LHR-AMS cancelled, but we were on board the Heathrow flight but they asked everyone to offload.

I have memories of a Genius1 report of an ex-EU with a cancelled AMS segment - seems I may have a similar encounter!
Book on a KLM flight to get to AMS tonight so you don't put your ex-EU in jeopardy.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
NTSB just tweeted they are sending someone to Heathrow. Busy week for them...

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
7 hour delay isnt so bad if you are in the CCR

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by CO FF
Where are the battery packs in the 787? (Or should I stop worrying about facts and just idly speculate?)
I think one is under the cockpit, the other just behind the wings.

Originally Posted by CO FF
Is this just a malfunction in galley equipment that - in a bad-luck coincidence for Boeing - wiped out $4b of market value?
Possibly, at this stage we just don't know.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by layz
Book on a KLM flight to get to AMS tonight so you don't put your ex-EU in jeopardy.
I'd just get them to change the flight to LHR-XXX instead, save the hassle!

Although obv missed miles and TPs! I suspect this is the advantage of being on BA for the outbound to the Ex-EU, if they cancel the flight, you still have legs to stand on!
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Slumming it in the first Lounge isn't too much of a hardship.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
NTSB just tweeted they are sending someone to Heathrow. Busy week for them...
If it is battery related, it will be a busy time for the FAA as well. Twice they have signed off that the plane is safe. I'd be willing to bet they are already being lobbied not to ground the fleet - in the US, American jobs and profit are more important than safety.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by tuff
Slumming it in the first Lounge isn't too much of a hardship.
I'd still rather be on my way home in 1A at this moment - it's decidedly warm in here IMO and I've been up since 04:30 this morning.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My OH is on BA 268 from LAX, and they have been sat on the ground at STN since 17:05 having been diverted... I don't know how many others are in the same situation but they are not disembarking at STN. They are refueling and waiting to go back to LHR apparently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.