Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow closed : 16:30hrs 12 July '13 - [Empty plane fire, parked Ethiopian B787]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow closed : 16:30hrs 12 July '13 - [Empty plane fire, parked Ethiopian B787]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Good question. I thought I read it in this thread, but I can't find it. I'm sure I saw it somewhere, but it wasn't necessarily an authoritative source anyway. So I don't know if it's connected to main electrical power or not.
I do hope that commercial interests don't prevent another grounding. If this is a systemic problem the result could otherwise be another Swissair 111 god forbid.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wall Street Journal reporting about FAA inspections:

As part of the Federal Aviation Administration's announcement that it will mandate inspections of the devices in coming days, the agency laid out what investigators apparently consider to be the prime suspects behind the blaze that occurred at London Heathrow Airport: Airlines were told to look for "proper wire routing and any sign of wire damage or pinching," referring to the connections between the transmitters, or ELTs, and the lithium batteries that power them. In addition, an FAA statement said inspections should look for unusual signs of heating or moisture inside battery compartments.

Apparently, the battery is not contained within the transmitter, but is connected to it by wiring that could be compromised?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Wall Street Journal reporting about FAA inspections:

As part of the Federal Aviation Administration's announcement that it will mandate inspections of the devices in coming days, the agency laid out what investigators apparently consider to be the prime suspects behind the blaze that occurred at London Heathrow Airport: Airlines were told to look for "proper wire routing and any sign of wire damage or pinching," referring to the connections between the transmitters, or ELTs, and the lithium batteries that power them. In addition, an FAA statement said inspections should look for unusual signs of heating or moisture inside battery compartments.

Apparently, the battery is not contained within the transmitter, but is connected to it by wiring that could be compromised?
No I hadn't seen that. Strange if battery not inside. In my experience they are stand alone. I can't say on this one as I am not familiar at all.
I'm generalising here but they are mostly a complete unit with possibly connections for external GPS and transmitter aerials, test and or programming plugs. May also be able to connect to aircraft data bus too???
I believe ANA inspected all theirs with no problems. Wouldn't surprise me if all users had had a quick check.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I reiterate ... I will NOT fly on this aircraft.
If your BA route was served only by the 787, would you switch to a competitor, or pick a different holiday destination?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:16 am

Thought this would be of interest.

http://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/2013-0168

EDIT: See Also

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/7848e4f089b443ec86257bb40048d733/$FILE/2013-15-07.pdf

Last edited by vibrex; Jul 29, 2013 at 2:32 pm Reason: Added Second Link
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by vibrex
I believe ANA inspected all theirs with no problems.
I believe that statement to be incorrect. See here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...97356924.html#
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I believe that statement to be incorrect. See here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...97356924.html#
Yes when I posted it (13 days ago!) that was how it reported.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/bu...lems.html?_r=0

Looks like they just did an external visual. It now appears since then that faults have been found.

Last edited by vibrex; Jul 29, 2013 at 4:47 am Reason: added link
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC silver
A colleague of mine was delayed in DOH last week due to an apparent fire with the QR Dreamliner that effectively closed the airfield. He says it was at the runway holding point. I know the Middle East countries are rather closed when it comes to free speech/journalism. Anyone heard anything about it on the net?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by ACARS
A colleague of mine was delayed in DOH last week due to an apparent fire with the QR Dreamliner that effectively closed the airfield. He says it was at the runway holding point. I know the Middle East countries are rather closed when it comes to free speech/journalism. Anyone heard anything about it on the net?
Was that the oven incident??
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by ACARS
Yes, the issue with the Qatar 787 at Doha has been quite well recorded. 5 pages so far on PPRuNe

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...787-smoke.html
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:04 am

A little OT but related on a Lithium-ion battery note. The Final Report into UPS6 in DXB has been released by the GCAA.

http://www.prba.org/wp-content/uploa...4AF-N571UP.pdf

Of interest to passengers perhaps is the following recommendation.

4.27 SR 51/2013: ICAO to review the hazardous materials classification for Class 9 materials packaging where the reconsideration of lithium batteries and other energy storage devices that are currently classified as a Class 9 hazardous material be subjected to a higher level of hazardous material classification as at present time, it is not clear that the current Class 9 hazard communication or quantity limits adequately reflect the inherent risks to aviation safety.
Perhaps new rules will be rolled out to enhance safety.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:17 pm

Looks like there is definite concern over Honeywell ELT's fitted to other Aircraft now.

http://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/CF-2013-25
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Just a quick update on where we stand with our service recovery and BA.

One thing I didn't mention (which turned into one of the main issues) was that we called BA the following morning to ask if there was someone she could nebulise (we'd checked in the nebuliser since it weighs a tonne, in retrospect this was a poor decision). The person at the call centre checked with their supervisor and told us to go to the medical centre near Terminal 3 where nebulisation would be possible (we had the nebulising fluid but not the machine). We arrived at Terminal 3 around 2pm to be told that 'the medical centre closed 8 years ago' and that 'the call centre wouldn't know since it was far away'.

We sent a letter in a few weeks ago detailing the whole sorry saga (and CC'd it to Frank and Keith Williams) and got a call back today from a BA 'senior service recovery person' who said they were still compiling all the information for a proper response but could confirm that the call centre had the wrong information on this in their system (which is a tad worrying) and consequently they're carrying out an audit of the whole system. They're also fairly concerned about a few of the issues I noted previously. FvdP's office is also involved.
No proper response yet but I'm impressed with how seriously they seem to be taking this. I'll keep you posted
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sigma421
No proper response yet but I'm impressed with how seriously they seem to be taking this. I'll keep you posted
I'm impressed too - good to know that they can properly deal with serious issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.