Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Las Vegas Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Las Vegas Flights

Travelling 24th/30th August direct to Las Vegas.

My partner is a slightly nervous flyer and was just wondering if anybody who has done this route before what there experience of the flight was ?

Due to the time of year and the excessive heat, been told there could be a very bumpy landing and take off.

Flight is due in at Las Vegas at 7:15pm and departing las vegas at 9:15pm, so hopefully time of day and decrease in the temperature will hopefully minimise the chance of this occuring?

Any information would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I fly in to LAS many times a year and I can't say I've found the flying conditions any different than other airports.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
It can be quite bumpy flying into Vegas during the summer. Your evening flights will decrease the risk of bumps so you should be OK.

In my experience flying in and out Vegas, the pilots are normally quite good at telling passengers it will be bumpy so your partner should take confidence that the front end are expecting it.

Regards

aks120
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Luck of the draw I fear, and there's not a lot you can do about it anyway. I landed in LAS a few days ago at about 20:00 hrs a couple of days ago. It was over 30c when we landed even then. There was the odd shudder as we landed but nothing too remarkable. It's heavy thunderclouds that are more problematic, and funnily enough they are expected this afternoon (but not the rest of the week). Probably best to work on distraction techniques, or have them handy, just in case it happens. But overall LAS isn't bad in a big plane, SFO is often worse.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
Flew in & out last week 2 times. Was 119 degrees. No problemo on either take-offs or landings^
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's heavy thunderclouds that are more problematic, and funnily enough they are expected this afternoon.
Massive thunderstorm over Vegas right now and it is only 7 am - very pretty but I wish it would move over the massive wildfire on Mt Charleston!

aks120
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:16 am

Is anyone sober upon landing on this flight? Medicate, will be fine - and incredible views to distract him/her hopefully.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:16 am

What is the immigration experience like at this airport ? Are there many other international flights landing at the same time as the BA flight ?

I am looking for a hassle free entry point into the US on my next holiday there, I enjoy the BA 1 so am looking for the next best thing.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Las Vegas Flights

I landed 10 minutes ago at LAS. The flight was yes a bit bumpy, many children onboard, they didn't complain (cry) so I think one can survive
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:27 am

I was in LAS last week. Landing was fine, late evening arrival. Takeoff had a few bumps during a midday departure, but nothing out of the ordinary. Let your friend know a few bumps is normal (similiar to potholes on the road) so he/she knows to expect a little something.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I am sure she will be fine. Just thought I would ask the question, so I can reassure her. Like you said wether you have a bumpy landing or not. Look out the window and enjoy the view rather than looking at the cabin shake!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Talking

Originally Posted by easterisland
What is the immigration experience like at this airport .
My wife and I arrived on this flight two weeks ago. My kids arrived a few days later. All of us went through immigration with waits of less than five minutes
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: Southwest-Companion Pass, Hilton - Gold, Hyatt - Diamond
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I was in LAS last week. Landing was fine, late evening arrival. Takeoff had a few bumps during a midday departure, but nothing out of the ordinary. Let your friend know a few bumps is normal (similiar to potholes on the road) so he/she knows to expect a little something.
+1
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
I presume you're flying from the UK on a 777 or 747. If so, bumps are much less noticeable than say on a 737.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: BA, VS
I have never noticed any problems on take-off or landing. There is almost always some turbulence which might concern a nervous flyer.

We have had some really bad turbulence on that route, including an FA having to crawl along the floor to get to her seat! I have not flown enough to know whether this route is worse than any other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.