Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC card expiry date 31st August - what to do with ~60k Avios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver

Dear BA Travellers,

I am based in Germany and mainly use Lufthansa, but have used BA on several intercontinental flights in the last years.
I haven't travelled with BA since May 2011, causing my card to expire end of August. I had planned to use a hotel booking before the cut-off date (July 8th, I think) to generate some account activity, but unfortunately forgot about it.
I have only about 60k Avios left, but would not like to throw them away. Most likely, I will not have the time to use them properly with a reward flight before end of August.

Is there any way to still prolong the expiry of the Avios? If not, is it possible to transfer them to a credit card program to avoid expiry (e.g., to the American Express Membership Rewards program)?

What would be your suggestions to use the Avios?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Dirk
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
These past threads will probably help:

Mileage Expiry
Cheapest way to get at least 1 Avios
Cheapest Way to Save Expiring Avios Points
What are the best (or Free) ways to keep BA miles from expiring?
Best/easiest way to keep miles from expiring
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Card expiry is not connected to Avios expiry.

You can prolong your Avios validity by buying, earning or spending anything from a single Avios upward.

The quickest and easiest option to extend validity is to purchase the cheapest amount of Avios possible.

Other options include transferring points from a hotel loyalty scheme or Amex membership rewards.

You could book a reward flight saver flight to London for 9000 Avios and that'd also extend the validity.

If the Avios are still in your account they've not yet expired so you can do any of the above methods to save them.

The 8th July cutoff you mention is purely for status (any tier points you may have would disappear by then as it's the end of your membership year - this has nothing to do with Avios).
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:30 am

Your miles will expire 3 years after the last mileage activity - so presumably next May.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver
Thank you!

Thanks a lot for your quick replies; very helpful!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:44 am

If you're based in Germany use them on Air Berlin unlike BA there's no fuel surchage
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
If you're based in Germany use them on Air Berlin unlike BA there's no fuel surchage
That's a very good point. Have a look for airberlin on Raffles blog headforpoints.com

There's some excellent value destinations from both TXL and DUS.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by layz
That's a very good point. Have a look for airberlin on Raffles blog headforpoints.com

There's some excellent value destinations from both TXL and DUS.
+1

TXL-AUH-TXL 50k in business for example.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
I would give you 200 euros for them if you are selling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.