Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 lax-lhr?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Originally Posted by daph
Started checking mid Sept. flights LAX-LHR r.t. and was mildly shocked to see that BA has the A380 scheduled both ways. I'm not keen to try it as I'm a 747 fan. Well, who did I imagine would use those new gates? And I suppose I knew BA was purchasing A380's. Could anyone please tell me how soon it will be before we'll have no choice on this route? I'm too lazy to check the schedule. It may be this plane and the 777 that persuades me to leave BA [after 40 years], not the difficulty of spending avios or the food.
A change from an old unreliable plane to a new reliable plane that is quieter, more humid and more normal air pressure causes you to stop flying BA... Hmm, perhaps they could buy some ex SU IL96's, even less reliable, weird Humidity that causes a fog on take off poor air pressure. You may like that
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain:21070876
change from an old unreliable plane to a new reliable plane that is quieter, more humid and more normal air pressure causes you to stop flying BA... Hmm, perhaps they could buy some ex SU IL96's, even less reliable, weird Humidity that causes a fog on take off poor air pressure. You may like that
Don't think you can reasonably characterise the 747 as "unreliable"
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

THanks for the schedule, Prospero.
Little Girl-Just the thought of sitting at the gate with all those WTs depresses me! If we were in F or CW and waiting in the BA lounges it wouldn't be so bad. I adore the 747, especially UD -not that we are always there. But your idea of trying the A380 one way is good. WT+ can be quiet but WT has a lot of air noise. But don't you hear the other PAX more in the A380?
Oh, my, can you imagine the smell?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Originally Posted by jlsw7
These timings seem odd for the 380. If it spent less time on the ground at LAX and came home a bit earlier, they would only need one aircraft to serve this route. But with these timings, they cant do it with just one as there isn't long enough to turn it around at LHR. Seems like a needless complication to the schedule.
I don't believe they operate the A380 every day. I know that on Tuesday's the same flights are operated by 747's. Don't know how long that will last..

Eric
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet Earth who actually enjoys BA's food.
No, you're not alone. BA's food offering is good and very enjoyable on LH (I fly J or F, so that's what I am commenting on). I'm not a great fan of the "in between" meals in CE, but that's SH and a lesser issue.

The problem with food in premium classes is two fold IMHO:
  • Eating preferences are such a personal thing that it's impossible to please everyone so whatever the offering is, there is always going to be moaning about it.
  • I suspect some people have inflated expectations or are confused about the difference between a 3 star Michelin restaurant and a plane. I also suspect this is the "beans on toast at home" brigade.

And of course some people simply have no taste.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Started checking mid Sept. flights LAX-LHR r.t. and was mildly shocked to see that BA has the A380 scheduled both ways. I'm not keen to try it as I'm a 747 fan. Well, who did I imagine would use those new gates? And I suppose I knew BA was purchasing A380's. Could anyone please tell me how soon it will be before we'll have no choice on this route? I'm too lazy to check the schedule. It may be this plane and the 777 that persuades me to leave BA [after 40 years], not the difficulty of spending avios or the food.
Really? Both ways? You dont say ...

How would you expect them to fly it one way and not the other?

Not so fond of lazy people who just want the rest of the community to look things up for them. Maybe if you are so lazy better just stay home.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
I haven't flown a 747 in a few years, but I do think they are stately looking from the outside, whereas, to my eyes, the 380 is ungainly. I think your idea of going one way in each aircraft is good. Maybe start with the 38o, then if you decide you really like it you can change your reservations and return that way, too. Have fun!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:53 am

Just to correct your schedule post, the 279/278 doesn't operate over the winter
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by dubbin
I flew my first 380 recently with QF. I was in J on the upper deck pretty close to the pointy end. It honestly seemed noisier than the 747 UD. More air noise? Or overinflated expectations?
I was on AF in J UD just at the beginning of the wing and thought it was very quiet. Surprised how quiet it was.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Move on, the 747 has had its day.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
Whilst I have loved travelling in 747's since I was alittle girl in the 1970 's, I'm really excited to try the A380 when we travel with our 3 teenage daughters to LAX this October.

We go out on the 380 and come back on a 747, so I'll take some notes and pictures and do a little comparison for anyone interested in what it's like up the back of the bus these days ;P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.