Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by TravelManBiz

Great! Is that applicable on both sides? I thought I read somewhere that they are only blocked on the right side on row 20 and not on the left. But this is great news then
Sorry, I think I need to correct what I wrote earlier. There does appear to be one WC allocated to the WT cabin which is located forward of seats 20DE

Image: Matthew at Live and Let’s Fly
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Prospero
* the locker lids have become such an irritation recently, so for me the upper deck window seats have lost part of their appeal
I think something has been done to these. I was on Echo Hotel last weekend, 53A, which had Wi-Fi and hence recently in the workshop. The side bins were quite difficult to open, they needed a heavy squeeze right on top of the catch. I didn't get a single involuntary opening in 12 hours.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think something has been done to these. I was on Echo Hotel last weekend, 53A, which had Wi-Fi and hence recently in the workshop. The side bins were quite difficult to open, they needed a heavy squeeze right on top of the catch. I didn't get a single involuntary opening in 12 hours.
Excellent news!

rb211.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I had 63 Juliett on Wednesday's BA32. Kilo was free so I slid over after boarding was declared complete. Neither of the two bins wanted to open for me
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
We found 53k much hotter than the equivalent seat in row 51. And also much more crew chatter.
I flew 53K to SFO last week, didn’t find it too hot, and the galley noise was OK (for me)

I liked it but suspect it might be a bit claustrophobic for some.

Last edited by dajdavies; Apr 5, 2019 at 12:11 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 10, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Afternoon.
I’ve always been a fan of the upper deck rear cabin on the 380 in Y. I’ve got 80J for a July trip on the way out to SFO. On the return the travel agent has me pre-assigned to 25 D

There are still a few exit rows available upstairs in Y for the return; should I stick or twist?
Old May 10, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Rear cabin is the best on 380...maybe not the rear seats at 83 because of noise from galley but I actually prefer the rear seats as no one is pecking on the screen in the rear of my seat.
Cat5 in the Hat likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:41 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Cat5 in the Hat
Afternoon.
I’ve always been a fan of the upper deck rear cabin on the 380 in Y. I’ve got 80J for a July trip on the way out to SFO. On the return the travel agent has me pre-assigned to 25 D

There are still a few exit rows available upstairs in Y for the return; should I stick or twist?
I think if you've never tried 25D then it's worth ticking off the list, a bit like flying on the UD of a 747 although rather less glamorous. I've found it hit and miss as to whether it's worth it, depends a lot on who's in 25E and how much they try to share your footspace....
Old May 10, 2019, 7:32 pm

Just completed two flights in 53K (LHR-LAX and SFO-LHR). Both experiences were the worst I’ve had in CW, largely due to significantly higher environment temperature relative to the rest of the front UD cabin and insane galley noise (not service related - just crew chatting and laughing). LHR-LAX was exacerbated by the fact that the crew didn’t shut the curtain. Up until this experience, I considered galley noise warnings on seat maps somewhat petty, as I had never had any issues myself given that I use noise cancelling headphones. Partner in 53J complained about passengers grabbing onto the seat on their way to the galley.

59K on two sectors prior to that (LHR-HKG-LHR) however was excellent, though not as good as most seats on 747 UD.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Writing this from 80K on LHR-BOS. Love the leg room and consider the advanced seat assignment fee to be well worth it (especially since I intend to expense it!). The view into the lavatory does not bother me. The overhead bins are definitely tiny. Even my smaller-sized carry-on wouldn't fit at all on the window side, and wouldn't fit wheels first in the middle. I had to put it in sideways. I managed to get my backpack into the overhead bit on the window side. The seats themselves aren't particularly comfortable and the tray tables are too small , they lean quite a bit, and are also a bit too high to work comfortably on my laptop. There's only one power outlet for the two seats.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
We have flights to SIN coming up and curious about best options in CW for our family of 3. My son and I are both over 6' tall. I'm keen to travel on the upper deck due to..........er, well just because it's cool to be upstairs on a plane! Is that wise?
Should we aim for a centre group of 3 each facing a different way to the person next to us, or go for 3 of 4 centre seats on the main deck. Would going for an E seat 1 row forward of D/F make sense, so we can all look at each other (sounds weird!), e.g 52E + 53D + 53F

Not too fussed about masses of storage as hand luggage will be just necessary tech for the flight, i.e. phones, tablets and noise cancelling headsets all round.

For further complexity, we have no status and are spread across 2 bookings (although linked by the mythical powers of TCP) so are reliant on what is available at OLCI.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Upstairs D/E/F would fit your bill - you will each be looking at the next door person face-to-face through the divider - and D will be able to see across to F quite easily. I don't quite get your row forward bit but D/E/F in the same row are face to face. I would aim for the forward cabin on upper deck. If you get the rear row, the centre seat occupant will be able to get out without climbing over anyone. However, the forward facers will have the E occupant in the row ahead climbing over their legs.
notakeenflyer likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
Would going for an E seat 1 row forward of D/F make sense, so we can all look at each other (sounds weird!), e.g 52E + 53D + 53F
You can look at each other if you have 53D, 53E and 53F. You're simply looking through the divider (assuming it's down).

In fact, the ability to do precisely this is the subject of much complaint here from people who can't stomach looking at a stranger's face for a few minutes. (Or maybe it's from people who can't face looking at a stranger's stomach for a few minutes.)
notakeenflyer likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Thanks vintagepilot and Globaliser. The alignment on the ba.com / BA app seat map implies that 52E is staring into the faces of 53D/F but from your comments and having looked at The BA Source seatmap I can see that is not the case. I realise the seat map isn't to scale etc., and having only flown CW on 777/747 with 4 across centre section I wasn't sure on the alignment of the block of 3 upstairs, so thought it worth checking with the collective knowledge here, and it did not disappoint.

Sod's law says when we get to OLCI we'll end up with 3 single seats all 4 rows apart, but fingers crossed for some luck and TCP keeping us together.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Have read through the whole thread but sadly, none of the ‘best’ UD pairs are still available for a flight in Sept. Mr. Fink and I are only bronze so I am thinking I may suck it up and pay to get good seats now unless the wisdom here thinks it is ok to wait until T-7.

Available now:
50JK
52AB
56JK
57-59 both AB and JK all available

So, thoughts? Wait or pay? It is a redemption so the couple of hundred £ won’t kill me but if I can get ‘em for free, so much the better. If I pay, which are the best pair? Mostly a night flight so lack of window wouldn’t be too much of a deal breaker. Definitely don’t want to be near kids or bassinets. We can easily be separated if necessary but would be nicer to be together if possible, obviously. He will take window so he can step over me but I don’t want to have to step over anyone. Never been in BA J before (no F was available, sadly) so not used to this whole yin-yang thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.