Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm travelling to SIN on the A380 in J with my wife and barely-under-two-year-old at the end of the month. There seems to be plenty of availability in J (unfortunately not in F UuA possibilities). Where am I best putting us in the hope that there's a nearby free seat for a child that is verging on being too big to be a lap child - one month until he's 2. We were automatically allocated 56A and 56B and are both Gold.

Wasn't sure if taking D + F seats in the upper deck in the hope that the middle remains free may be the best shout. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:31 pm

I noticed that BA is getting new seats in their WT Plus because in the picture there is a leg rest that pops up and it's not a bulk head seat. Will BA also replace the seats in their a380 too? If they are going to replace the seats in the a380 do you think this will be complete by this summer?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Anns76
I noticed that BA is getting new seats in their WT Plus because in the picture there is a leg rest that pops up and it's not a bulk head seat. Will BA also replace the seats in their a380 too? If they are going to replace the seats in the a380 do you think this will be complete by this summer?
Highly improbable I’m afraid - have not heard any suggestion of this being in their plans.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Starship73

Highly improbable I’m afraid - have not heard any suggestion of this being in their plans.
🙁🙁🙁 Ok, it’s just that the the new WT+ seats looked so much more comfortable. Which aircrafts did BA put the new WT+ seats on? I might seriously forgo taking the a380 for an aircraft with those seats. I just think it would be more relaxing on long hauls. Also, can you buy a day pass for their lounge at SFO?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Anns76

🙁🙁🙁 Ok, it’s just that the the new WT+ seats looked so much more comfortable. Which aircrafts did BA put the new WT+ seats on? I might seriously forgo taking the a380 for an aircraft with those seats. I just think it would be more relaxing on long hauls. Also, can you buy a day pass for their lounge at SFO?
The latest WT+ seats are currently only available on some Gatwick-based 777s. BA has stated that retrofits to Heathrow-based 777s will begin in autumn 2019. As far as I am aware there are no dates released for other aircraft types to get the new seats.

British Airways - PLUS-SIZED MAKE OVER FOR WORLD TRAVELLER AND WORLD TRAVELLER PLUS
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I chose 50J for a SIN-LON flight recently, which I am sure you know are overnight. I have to say I would not choose this seat again.

1) There is light leakage from the curtain which passengers rarely fully re-close when going to and from the forward bathrooms
2) There is also quite a strong airflow there which is exacerbated by the curtain being open
3) People inevitably sway into you as they pass, which on a flight where all you want to do is sleep is not what you want.
4) There is a wardrobe immediately to the left of the seat across the aisle, used for coats and (on my flight at least) crew baggage. The wardrobe is quite low and quite deep, the consequence of which is the accessing crew-member’s posterior intrudes into your personal space.
5) Obviously there are no window bins. I knew this, but I had forgotten quite how convenient they are.

For future night flights I would recommend a window seat which is tucked away.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by snuffi
I chose 50J for a SIN-LON flight recently, which I am sure you know are overnight. I have to say I would not choose this seat again.

1) There is light leakage from the curtain which passengers rarely fully re-close when going to and from the forward bathrooms
2) There is also quite a strong airflow there which is exacerbated by the curtain being open
3) People inevitably sway into you as they pass, which on a flight where all you want to do is sleep is not what you want.
4) There is a wardrobe immediately to the left of the seat across the aisle, used for coats and (on my flight at least) crew baggage. The wardrobe is quite low and quite deep, the consequence of which is the accessing crew-member’s posterior intrudes into your personal space.
5) Obviously there are no window bins. I knew this, but I had forgotten quite how convenient they are.

For future night flights I would recommend a window seat which is tucked away.
Hi,

Yes , 50B and 50 J are probably the worst upper deck seats on the A380 for the reasona stated.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
I've got my first A380 flight next year to Singapore, and I'm looking at CW seats.
I have the whole aircraft to choose from at present, (minus the bassinets), and as a window seat fan, it's the upper deck I gather I need to choose.
There's three passengers, and I'm thinking of putting my septuagenarian parents in 53J/K, and me in 52K. No climbing over strangers for them, and only one of my parents for me.

The question is, how noisy is the galley, as that's the only put off I can see, or is there a better window seat combination?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:13 am

Flying WT back to HK later this year on my own, I’ve chosen 25D at the moment. Am I allowed anything in front of me during flight (not takeoff and landing)? I have this inflatable thing that I can use as a foot rest, just wonder if I can use it?

Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Emirates, SAA, Kenya Airways, Hilton, Radisson, IHG group
I am amazed people like the seats in 50 - I actively avoid them for the reasons posted above and I can’t be the only one as they are often free when I hold my seat!

In addition to all all the other negative points posted above, I also find I get air sick in that row. I don’t know if it’s the lack of the window or just the position on the plane (it is v hard to get a horizon point - you have to look over your shoulder) but it doesn’t happen in any other row of the A380!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Myself + partner are flying LHR-SIN-LHR in a few months time (as part of a broader ex-EU multi city) in Club and have only had one last minute booking on BA's 380 J seat so had no choice of seating for that.

Have read a fair bit of this thread and am interested that there seems to be mostly a consensus on the bad seats, rather than good. I have almost the entire cabin to choose from in both directions. Have chosen 51AB so far, not sure if there's something better to go for as a couple.

I prefer one of us to have the window (partially for windows but mostly for storage bins) so a window pair makes sense. I'm not super fussed about stepping over someone but obvs ideal if you can avoid it, but I've been spooked by the commentary on row 53 due to galley light/noise.

We're not fussy really, but I'm keen to make sure we get the best seats possible for our flights

Any relevant thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:25 am

Hi there, flying in Y to and from Chicago on the A380 in a few weeks with an infant. Can anyone recommend which bassinet seat to go for? All are open at the moment.

Considering 70E or F or 80E or F on the upper deck (although they're in the middle of the row so may not be best for a solo traveller?). Otherwise considering 35A or 35K on the lower deck. These are window seats so might be better for a solo traveller?

Any tips would be gratefully received.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pythonisman
Myself + partner are flying LHR-SIN-LHR in a few months time (as part of a broader ex-EU multi city) in Club and have only had one last minute booking on BA's 380 J seat so had no choice of seating for that.

Have read a fair bit of this thread and am interested that there seems to be mostly a consensus on the bad seats, rather than good. I have almost the entire cabin to choose from in both directions. Have chosen 51AB so far, not sure if there's something better to go for as a couple.

I prefer one of us to have the window (partially for windows but mostly for storage bins) so a window pair makes sense. I'm not super fussed about stepping over someone but obvs ideal if you can avoid it, but I've been spooked by the commentary on row 53 due to galley light/noise.

We're not fussy really, but I'm keen to make sure we get the best seats possible for our flights

Any relevant thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I think 51AB are generally regarded as the better CW seats ( if you like windows) for the A380. I have had some noise at 53A from the galley but it was not too bad. ( I generally go for 51A or K if available ( travelling on my own)

Regards

TBS
pythonisman likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Availability has opened up in F on my flight home from BOS in May, on the 380. Is it worth it for such a short flight ?

Loads of availability to Boston for anyone interested
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anniegray
Availability has opened up in F on my flight home from BOS in May, on the 380. Is it worth it for such a short flight ?

Loads of availability to Boston for anyone interested

Hi,

If you have plenty of miles and want to try A380 F go for it. I personally would find it hard to justify for a short overnight flight as I sleep quite well in J esp on the upper deck ( but I have been in F a few times). A daytime flight to BOS I would consider

With meals included you will likey get a few hours of sleep ( upper deck on the A380 with the rapid meal service would enable you to get more rest)

If connecting from LHR T5 on a same day ticket your BA F boarding pass would get you access to the Concorde Room.

Regards

TBS
anniegray likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Mar 18, 2019 at 7:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.