Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by benjai
Sounds like 50J/K is the winner.
There are some moments when even I go "Huh?" Surely 50B and 50J are about the worst CW seats on the 380, because of the curtain flick routine?
Woody12354 and anniegray like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
There are some moments when even I go "Huh?" Surely 50B and 50J are about the worst CW seats on the 380, because of the curtain flick routine?
Sorry I never even noticed that? Plus they need a pair of seats, not just one.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:33 am

Hi, my wife and I are planning to travel ORD-LHR-ORD on the A380 flights in WT in May 2019 with our son, who will be 10 months old then, and we're debating between:

(1) Reserving 35A/C or 35H/K with him in the child seat when it's not takeoff/turbulence/landing (I'm hoping there's a lower chance of someone being in 35B or 35J than there would be in 20B or 20J, the other carrycot row on the main deck, but if there is, my wife and I would take 35A/B or 35H/J and let the other passenger have the window seat)
(2) Reserving two of the twin seats on the upper deck and trading off holding him during the flight

My wife doesn't like having to put all of our bags in the overhead bin if we're in row 35, but I think it would be nice to not have to hold him the entire flight, particularly if he's at the age when he doesn't want to be held for 8-9 hours.

Any advice? Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Sorry I never even noticed that?
With apologies for referring to my own comments somewhere in this list, and possibly for having referred to other FTers more than once:-
Plus they need a pair of seats, not just one.
It sounds like every upper deck window/aisle pair is still available except 53AB and 56AB.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Hi, my wife and I are planning to travel ORD-LHR-ORD on the A380 flights in WT in May 2019 with our son, who will be 10 months old then, and we're debating between:

(1) Reserving 35A/C or 35H/K with him in the child seat when it's not takeoff/turbulence/landing (I'm hoping there's a lower chance of someone being in 35B or 35J than there would be in 20B or 20J, the other carrycot row on the main deck, but if there is, my wife and I would take 35A/B or 35H/J and let the other passenger have the window seat)
(2) Reserving two of the twin seats on the upper deck and trading off holding him during the flight

My wife doesn't like having to put all of our bags in the overhead bin if we're in row 35, but I think it would be nice to not have to hold him the entire flight, particularly if he's at the age when he doesn't want to be held for 8-9 hours.

Any advice? Thanks!
Personally, I'd rule out the upper deck and having a 10 month old in your lap for a long ish flight so I'd take row 20 (only middle section will be available for families with infants) or any of the 35's. Here is what BA states:

Carrycots and child seats supplied by us

Our carrycots and child seats are for infants from birth up to 2 years old. You can reserve a carrycot/child seat position in advance on long haul flights only, as our short haul aircraft do not have carrycot/child seats.

Child seats and carrycots are supplied free of charge, but are subject to availability on-board the aircraft on the day. They will be given to the people sitting in the carrycot/child seat positions on a first-come, first-served basis.

Even if you’ve reserved this type of seat, we may have to move you on the day if there is a person with a greater need who requires it, such as a wheelchair user.

How to reserve carrycot/child seats

Please reserve a carrycot/child seat position in advance, using Manage My Booking. The carrycot seat positions are marked on the seat maps with a baby icon.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...travel/seating

Only the middle row in 20 is suitable for babies/parents. 20 ABC and 20 JFK are exit seats.
British Airways A380 14F/97J/55W/303Y Seat Map
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Personally, I'd rule out the upper deck and having a 10 month old in your lap for a long ish flight so I'd take row 20 (only middle section will be available for families with infants) or any of the 35's. Here is what BA states:

Carrycots and child seats supplied by us

Our carrycots and child seats are for infants from birth up to 2 years old. You can reserve a carrycot/child seat position in advance on long haul flights only, as our short haul aircraft do not have carrycot/child seats.

Child seats and carrycots are supplied free of charge, but are subject to availability on-board the aircraft on the day. They will be given to the people sitting in the carrycot/child seat positions on a first-come, first-served basis.

Even if you’ve reserved this type of seat, we may have to move you on the day if there is a person with a greater need who requires it, such as a wheelchair user.

How to reserve carrycot/child seats

Please reserve a carrycot/child seat position in advance, using Manage My Booking. The carrycot seat positions are marked on the seat maps with a baby icon.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...travel/seating

Only the middle row in 20 is suitable for babies/parents. 20 ABC and 20 JFK are exit seats.
British Airways A380 14F/97J/55W/303Y Seat Map
Thanks for your response and advice. 20D and 20G are either reserved by other passengers or blocked on the inbound, so row 20 is out. Also, it looks like the infant seat positions are directly in front of 35A and 35K, so if we booked A/C or H/K and there was another passenger in B/J, we'd have to offer them the aisle seat and take the middle and window.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Going with 51A and B for now, thanks everyone.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes, they are trčs exposé! I always feel sorry for who ever has those seats.

rb211.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I was upgraded to 15J yesterday.
Have had that seat before but moved myself to the empty window seat that time.

It's on the lower deck, has a crew cupboard across from it that was accessed a few times for coats and uniform items.
Two toilets just behind it and whilst there was some throughout, people walking past wasn't that much of a bother.
Major issue was the light from the centre toilet. It didn't seem to dim when the door opened. Might be more annoying at night.

Nonetheless, not as bad a seat as expected.

Honestly though, and this applies to all the aisle seats, they feel really exposed compared to a window seat.
Would be more self conscious trying to sleep in one at the very least.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by xenole
I was upgraded to 15J yesterday.
Have had that seat before but moved myself to the empty window seat that time.

It's on the lower deck, has a crew cupboard across from it that was accessed a few times for coats and uniform items.
Two toilets just behind it and whilst there was some throughout, people walking past wasn't that much of a bother.
Major issue was the light from the centre toilet. It didn't seem to dim when the door opened. Might be more annoying at night.

Nonetheless, not as bad a seat as expected.

Honestly though, and this applies to all the aisle seats, they feel really exposed compared to a window seat.
Would be more self conscious trying to sleep in one at the very least.
I fully accept that maybe it's because I'm a man, and women might have more to be concerned in this regard, but I don't really care if someone gets their jollies from watching my sleeping form. I do always let my wife have the window seat!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Only going to Boston, so not longhaul. 53 or 59? I know 53 is near the galley but it's a day flight going out.
So maybe 53 going out and 59 back?
The whole upstairs is open to me at the moment
Thankyou
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
My mum is currently in 10G on the lower deck. Would any of these aisle seats be an upgrade, I know the Upper Deck is less condensed seating space so, I think she would prefer it. 14B/58J/59J or 52/3 DF?

Edit: Nvm I see 59k has direct aisle access and was available, so I believe that is the best place for her.

Last edited by safari ari; Dec 13, 2018 at 10:47 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:10 pm

Hey all I'll betaking my first flight on BA (as an AA code share) and the A380 on my way home from LHR to ORD next April. Since I don't have status I'll be in the back of the bus and would rather just pay to reserve a seat than chance getting stuck in a middle seat for an 8+ hour flight home. Looking at the seat map it's wide open and I was thinking one the upper deck exit rows would be decent choice. That way I could have a window seat and being able to get out without having to climb over the person next to me. Is my thinking flawed or would that be a decent option? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:38 am
bzc

Programs: BAEC Silver
WT+ recline

I'm going to be on a flight SFO-LHR on a A380-800, currently booked in WT but I am considering upgrading to WT+ as the cost is not too bad. My main question is how much better is the seat and above all how much more does it recline compared to a WT seat, specifically on a A380?
As it will be an overnight flight I am not really bothered with the better food and screen, my main concern is sleeping so the quality of the seat compared to WT is the main criteria if I upgrade ...

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Currently have 10A/B on a return from Chicago.
Nothing available in 50.
56/59 J/K available but galley might be problem for night flight on former?
Think, therefore, I have the best picking for a pair travelling together?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.