Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats dont have anyone climbing over them. Theres nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and dont mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but Im not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If thats your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows wont matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
We just flew in 53 J/K and I wish we hadn't.

The galley noise and heat in the cabin was almost unbearable for a night flight. Didn't sleep a wink and wish I had chosen other seats.

Super glad our flight back in in First!
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by eugegall
We just flew in 53 J/K and I wish we hadn't.

The galley noise and heat in the cabin was almost unbearable for a night flight. Didn't sleep a wink and wish I had chosen other seats.

Super glad our flight back in in First!
Same here - see post #1733 . It might be worth letting them know - I think they need continuous feedback about this problem.
eugegall likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Same here - see post #1733 . It might be worth letting them know - I think they need continuous feedback about this problem.
I'd missed your post but seems very similar to mine.

I'm going to let them know. Do you know how best to do this?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by eugegall
Do you know how best to do this?
Yes, just follow the BAEC 'contact us' links and find 'make a complaint'.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi, I will be travelling on the BA0011 in First with my partner and our 14 month old and am hoping someone can advise me what the best pair of seats will be for us please.

I am a GCH so can pick 1A/K but not for my partner whos a SCH.

Is it worth having the bassinet seat? Ive read that the bassinet really is only suitable for small infants and not much more.

Currently seems 2E/F and 3E/F are already taken by others.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by DreamTrip
Thinking of choosing 67J/K in WTP because of the recline. But is the proximity to lavatories an issue? Will you hear the flush? Having sat in row 44 on the 787-9 I did not hear a thing and actually loved it.
Also keen on opinions on this. Got LHR/MIA sorted in CW but return (currently) in WTP and looking at 67 A/B or 67J/K.

60A/B and J/K are also open, but leaning towards 67 because:
  • No 'recliners guilt' - I can keep the seat reclined the whole flight without having to consider anyone sat behind me
  • Close to the toilets - travelling with my mother who walks with stick so thinking that would be easier for her
But...
  • I'm 6ft2in / 188cm and can't remember how the legroom is in WTP when the seat in front is reclined
  • Is seat width the same or slightly reduced as I'm guessing the screen comes out of the seat and isn't mounted on bulkhead?

Also, it's a bassinette seat - what's the etiquette for someone booking these when knowing they won't be using them? I've also got special assistance booked for my mother so would those seats even 'stick' if I reserved them?

Mark
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Just booked BA11 LHR-SIN this will be our first time on a BA A380. I've put myself in 59A and my partner in 59B. I have to have window seat my partner isn't fussed, and I also want to fly on upper deck.

We will probably want to get a little sleep, any thoughts on this selection ? I think 59A is good for window with direct aisle access ? 59a has windows right ?
abersoch3254 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by nshep
Just booked BA11 LHR-SIN this will be our first time on a BA A380. I've put myself in 59A and my partner in 59B. I have to have window seat my partner isn't fussed, and I also want to fly on upper deck.

We will probably want to get a little sleep, any thoughts on this selection ? I think 59A is good for window with direct aisle access ? 59a has windows right ?
Hi,

59A will have windows (albeit you will be right over the middle of the large wing) .The window seat will also have side bins for additional storage.

You will also be beside the curtain separating CW from WT+

Regards

TBS
nshep likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:40 am

Hi,

i have BA 55 and 54 booked in CE, LHR-JNB in Feb. am on my own and looking for window seats.

so far i have 50K and 10A booked.

those available are: outbound 50k, 52 A/K, 53 A/K, 56/7/8/9 A/K

return 51/53k and plenty downstairs.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NeilP
Hi,

i have BA 55 and 54 booked in CE, LHR-JNB in Feb. am on my own and looking for window seats.

so far i have 50K and 10A booked.

those available are: outbound 50k, 52 A/K, 53 A/K, 56/7/8/9 A/K

return 51/53k and plenty downstairs.
For the outbound I'd avoid 50K, as it has no/reduced windows. If you don't mind being served your meal last (you can preorder your meal ex-LHR to guarantee your choice), then I'd go for 59A/K for direct aisle access. I was in 59A on BA57 (the later LHR-JNB) and was pleased with it; I skipped dinner altogether and just went straight to sleep. I suspect that since you're traveling when school is in session (as I did), the odds of having an infant in the WTP bassinet right behind row 59 are low.

For the return, I'd do 51K. Upper deck is far superior to main deck IMO. 53K is a mixed bag--you have direct aisle access as you do in 59A/K, but the proximity to the galley almost guarantees some level of noise throughout the flight, whether it's galley carts banging around or a loud crew yapping away all night.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Hello going to HKG, 4A or 2E please? I like being cosy by myself in the 4A corner + window, but a little worried about possible noise and more worried about slow service. Any ideas?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Apologies for not reading the whole 117 pages of this thread, but would appreciate if someone could distill some advice. Will be travelling back with my wife from YVR on this beastie on CW, and I'm actually quite excited, not only for the killer ex-EU deal, but for finally flying in this behemoth. I should be Gold by next month, so even if there are some special seats, keep that in mind. So, with that in mind, none of us are very tall (I'm the tallest at 5ft8), she likes the window (even though there won't be a lot to see for most of the flight), I like the aisle, I'm a bit noise sensitive if trying to sleep, and like relatively easy access to the lavs. Everything is open on the Upper Deck except 53AB, and 56B has a block on it. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by benjai
Hello going to HKG, 4A or 2E please? I like being cosy by myself in the 4A corner + window, but a little worried about possible noise and more worried about slow service. Any ideas?
Hi

its not quite the same but I was in 4K LHR-LAX recently and I liked the feeling of being in your own little space. Yes you get a bit of galley noise, but not too much. I also like the fact that you dont get people walking past your seat all the time to get to the lavatory. Also the area in front of first but behind the flight deck is a little cool and draughty (must roll down the stairs)
Service wise, I think I was last but I preferred that as it fitted in with the time I prefer to eat. Each to his or her own.
Its closer to the source of champagne if thats your bag - it is mine.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Saladman

Hi

it’s not quite the same but I was in 4K LHR-LAX recently and I liked the feeling of being in your own little space. Yes you get a bit of galley noise, but not too much. I also like the fact that you don’t get people walking past your seat all the time to get to the lavatory. Also the area in front of first but behind the flight deck is a little cool and draughty (must roll down the stairs)
Service wise, I think I was last but I preferred that as it fitted in with the time I prefer to eat. Each to his or her own.
It’s closer to the source of champagne if that’s your bag - it is mine.
Thanks this is really useful! I had already switched to 4A and now the first three rows are all gone so no turning back. I do like to be in the corner in general, so just hope I don't get the leftovers service wise!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Mordac
Apologies for not reading the whole 117 pages of this thread, but would appreciate if someone could distill some advice. Will be travelling back with my wife from YVR on this beastie on CW, and I'm actually quite excited, not only for the killer ex-EU deal, but for finally flying in this behemoth. I should be Gold by next month, so even if there are some special seats, keep that in mind. So, with that in mind, none of us are very tall (I'm the tallest at 5ft8), she likes the window (even though there won't be a lot to see for most of the flight), I like the aisle, I'm a bit noise sensitive if trying to sleep, and like relatively easy access to the lavs. Everything is open on the Upper Deck except 53AB, and 56B has a block on it. Any suggestions?
Sounds like 50J/K is the winner. I think 50K is the best CW seat assuming you don't mind stepping over someone. We always go for this where available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.