Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BA GGL
Does anyone have photos of where the seats' metal legs and IFE boxes fall beneath WTP seats? I've got a choice between B, D, F and J. As I'm travelling solo I'd like one with the most available foot space, but can't remember which one of D & F more-or-less forces you to play footsie with the neighbouring passenger...?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:48 pm
09R

Hi All

Flying CW to SIN - we are 2 adults, 2 kids (5 and 3) and an lap infant (15 months)

We've done this route many times and usually go for the middle seats row 14 and stick the 2 children in the middle (they are usually good sleepers). Myself and Mrs 09R will have to manage with the infant. We won't be able to make use of the bassinet due to the age (and size) of the infant so conscious that if I book that row I will be potentially be depriving someone else who needs it. Any suggestions on what to go for? While the children are generally well behaved, I dread so imagine a flight where they will be in another middle pair have to climb over a strangers legs on either side every time they want to get up (so that knocks out all other middle seats on the main deck). Also considering two window pairs - 50AB/JK look tempting - are these near each other? Or would I be better off with 50/51?

Or should I just go for 14 on the main deck.....
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by 09R
Or should I just go for 14 on the main deck.....
Yes..
Book guilt free.
I would in your circumstances.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Does anyone have photos of where the seats' metal legs and IFE boxes fall beneath WTP seats? I've got a choice between B, D, F and J. As I'm travelling solo I'd like one with the most available foot space, but can't remember which one of D & F more-or-less forces you to play footsie with the neighbouring passenger...?
I'm going to try and take these photos later...!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
Yes both options will see you face to face.

51D has a little extra legroom as there is no one in front of you. (see the Wiki which goes into a little more detail and there is a photo) This front UD cabin is very quiet and as you are travelling to London and therefor an overnight trip this is a good option. The front of CW fills quicker as there is less foot traffic ...
Thanks Peter! Your links and pointer to the wiki really helped us make a better decision (we realized side by side is better for us since we'd be closer and there's minimal barrier) so we got main deck middle seats.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

You will have the curtain ahead of 50B and 50J then a gap before the toilet door. The windows on 50AK are by the footstool IIRC.

Probably not much of a difference although 50 AB will be closer to the upper deck door for boarding/exiting.

Regards

TBS
Thank you TBS. Will stick to 50JK.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Varies
We sat in our previously favourite 53J&K CW seats yesterday, and probably won't do it again for a night flight. The galley was very noisy, which has been reported by others but I'd not experienced it so badly before.
The crew were slamming cupboard doors throughout the whole flight (ie not closing them using the catches, but just slamming them shut), crashing trolleys around (I saw them being crashed into each other when I got up to see what the noise was), and didn't lower their voices when talking to each other or to other passengers. It was the noisiest flight I've been on, and although the noise was audible throughout the whole front upstairs cabin it was obviously worse if you were right next to the slamming doors.

If you don't want/need to sleep, 53K is still good in terms of aisle access and storage space, but I found the lack of storage in the J (aisle) seat very annoying after experiencing better arrangements on other airlines. If I needed anything from the small floor-level drawer I had to change seat positions, and I felt I was overhanging the aisle whenever I tried to sleep.

I felt so sorry for the people in row 50 aisle seats too.

eta: the middle middle seats on the two nearest rows to me (53 and 52) both had their leg rests broken by passengers during the flight. I think both occupants (not travelling together) had struggled to get out of their seats, and must have put too much weight on them. I'm not sure if these seats are especially difficult to get out of?
kaka and JamieABZ like this.

Last edited by ttama; Aug 8, 2018 at 9:18 am
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:30 pm

If sitting upstairs in club world in the middle E seat, where would you have your lartner sit... Presumably the side which you get served from so that the divider being down during service is less awkward? If so which side would that be... D or f?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Row 83

Originally Posted by PETER01
I'd pick the rear mini cabin for a HKG-LHR overnighter.

See posts 1618 and especially 1619 for a comprehensive review of the rear mini cabin and there's more info in the Wiki too. There is no recline restriction in row 83 and if the opportunity to pay for exit seats arises for such a long flight i think it is worth it.
Flown 83 a few times having chosen them and ONLY issue for me was banging and crew not at all lowering their voices. Acceptable to me as tradeoff not having my head pecked by the tapping on the screen behind me or being kicked
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Gazkane
If sitting upstairs in club world in the middle E seat, where would you have your lartner sit... Presumably the side which you get served from so that the divider being down during service is less awkward? If so which side would that be... D or f?
Downstairs in economy!

I cannot say about the other E seats, but 53E is served almost exclusively from the B/D aisle... if the CC know you are together they will generally try to serve you together.

rb211.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by RB211
Downstairs in economy!

I cannot say about the other E seats, but 53E is served almost exclusively from the B/D aisle... if the CC know you are together they will generally try to serve you together.

rb211.
haha, not sure the economy suggestion would fly!

Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:46 pm

Hey all - I've just reserved some seats on a flight to ORD on an A380, but I've never been on in Club World (on any aircraft) before. Currently I'm in 56k, but 59k is also available. My question is - how much trouble is it to step over someone who is stretched out in the aisle seat? Do you have to disturb them? Or can you reasonably stretch your leg over without getting in their way? I'd probably slightly rather travel in 56 rather than 59 due to the view and the quicker food But equally I'd rather not have to interrupt someone every time I need to get out.

Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Briggykins
Hey all - I've just reserved some seats on a flight to ORD on an A380, but I've never been on in Club World (on any aircraft) before. Currently I'm in 56k, but 59k is also available. My question is - how much trouble is it to step over someone who is stretched out in the aisle seat? Do you have to disturb them? Or can you reasonably stretch your leg over without getting in their way? I'd probably slightly rather travel in 56 rather than 59 due to the view and the quicker food But equally I'd rather not have to interrupt someone every time I need to get out.

Thanks!
The answer is: it depends. In almost all cases the stepper does not have to disturb the stepee.

For those who find it easy, they will tell you it is no big deal and they don't know what the fuss is about. However, there are those who will say it isn't necessary that easy and have accidentally touched or contacted a leg or foot of someone they were trying to step over. YMMV.

rb211.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by rachelandgromit
We have booked an economy Avios red eye flight from Hong Kong back to Manchester via London. The HKG to LHR leg is on the A380 and I'm tempted to pay for seats together in the pair configuration on the upper deck. Does anyone have any recommendations for economy seats? I'm tempted to go for 83JK so I don't get anyone kicking the back of the seat and recline doesn't seem to be restricted. I know it maybe a little noisy but I'm partly deaf anyway so that shouldn't be an issue. Anyone have any personal recommendations?
Hi - we’ll be doing this flight in Jun 19. Like you I’m deaf but what I noticed was for the ‘don’t get anyone kicking the back of my seat’

It’s not just me! Let me know how you get on.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:05 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by Briggykins

Thanks!
Having just flown LHR-SFO in 58A,B, I would recommend staying where you are in Row 56. On our flight, there was a family with children and a restless infant in the bassinet located at Row 60 of WT+. In the event your flight has a similar situation, it would probably be a little more peaceful in Row 56, despite being near the lav and galley.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.