Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:21 pm

Bleh, I was quite happy to be on the A380 but it's made picking CW seats a bit annoying. Normally I'd prefer to be in a window seat when trying to sleep, but I'm really struggling to find a good option that doesn't have me stepping over anyone (I get up a lot to stretch, having previously had a DVT).

Given my friend is a heavy sleeper, do people think 53 / 59 might work for us? I'm quite sensitive to noise, but I will have decent noise cancelling headphones on, and being in A/K my head would at least be a little further away from the galley / WT+. I'm thinking I'd prefer 53 all things considered but the talk of the fridge noise does make me nervous.

Edit - Might K be better than A? Or is the galley symmetrical?

Last edited by RG1X; Jul 5, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by RG1X
Given my friend is a heavy sleeper, do people think 53 / 59 might work for us? I'm quite sensitive to noise ...
It sounds like 59 would work for you, if you don't mind having to wait longer for service (and the longer walk if you want to use the big loos ahead of row 50). If you weren't sensitive to noise, then it might have been worth giving 53 a try. But it's not only the fridge whine (which I've never heard, either, although I've not myself sat in 53J) - it's the chatter, the calling out across the width of the galley, the thunk of stowages being opened and closed, the bangs of trolleys being moved, the chink of glasses and metal equipment like teapots, and - on one occasion when I was sleeping in 53E - an enormous thump transmitted through my feet when a trolley was "positively" put away on the other side of the bulkhead. On a day flight, you might be able to live with all of that, but if you're flying overnight and you are sensitive to noise, then 59 might be better than 53 if you really want to avoid stepping over someone.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that hasn't already been covered in the last round of posts about 53.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It(and the longer walk if you want to use the big loos ahead of row 50).
There is a WC just forward of 56J, which doesn't seem to get much use, though it isn't anything like as large as the cavernous WCs at the front. I'm also noise sensitive to a degree (my home remote by anyone's standards) but personally I'd be happy with either 53 or 59, I wouldn't spend long thinking about it, If I was a picky eater then the second meal service may end up being a no-choice option in row 59, which isn't something that bothers me. The starboard aisle is usually the quietest, but there really isn't much in it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a WC just forward of 56J, which doesn't seem to get much use, though it isn't anything like as large as the cavernous WCs at the front.
Yes, that's perfectly fine for a normal loo visit. But if I want to get changed, the party venues at the front make it much easier!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
For those who have experience with 59A/K, how much light pollution is there from the WTP cabin? I'll be on the late LHR-JNB having just had a half-day layover in London off of a TATL, so my plan is to have dinner in London and go straight to bed on board. I'm thinking that 59 would be better than my current 52K given the direct aisle access (I'm quite noise sensitive so stayed away from 53) and less overall movement/distractions in the back of the cabin, but I'm also concerned about light pollution coming through both the curtain and any gaps between the bulkhead wall and the fuselage/overhead bins.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: BA
It sounds like 59 would work for you, if you don't mind having to wait longer for service (and the longer walk if you want to use the big loos ahead of row 50). If you weren't sensitive to noise, then it might have been worth giving 53 a try. But it's not only the fridge whine (which I've never heard, either, although I've not myself sat in 53J) - it's the chatter, the calling out across the width of the galley, the thunk of stowages being opened and closed, the bangs of trolleys being moved, the chink of glasses and metal equipment like teapots, and - on one occasion when I was sleeping in 53E - an enormous thump transmitted through my feet when a trolley was "positively" put away on the other side of the bulkhead. On a day flight, you might be able to live with all of that, but if you're flying overnight and you are sensitive to noise, then 59 might be better than 53 if you really want to avoid stepping over someone.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that hasn't already been covered in the last round of posts about 53.
Spot on. I really liked 53E on a day flight with the dividers up and the ease of getting into the aisle. At night, I would cocoon myself into a corner somewhere.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by dkc192
For those who have experience with 59A/K, how much light pollution is there from the WTP cabin? I'll be on the late LHR-JNB having just had a half-day layover in London off of a TATL, so my plan is to have dinner in London and go straight to bed on board. I'm thinking that 59 would be better than my current 52K given the direct aisle access (I'm quite noise sensitive so stayed away from 53) and less overall movement/distractions in the back of the cabin, but I'm also concerned about light pollution coming through both the curtain and any gaps between the bulkhead wall and the fuselage/overhead bins.
I'd pick row 59 well above 52 especially for the direct aisle access. It's a really quite a quiet corner in my experience, understaed I'd say, with a few flights there there and overnight had no issues but there are 4 bassinets behind the bulkhead (s) and see link for photos below. However a very slim chance of a crying baby. In fact I've never seen a baby in the WTP cabin come to think of it, maybe I've been lucky.

I have found there to be very little foot traffic from CW into WTP and vice versa by crew. A good set of ear plugs and eye shades I am sure will make for a good nights sleep and there is no noticeable light pollution that I could remember. Here is a photo of 59K if you scroll down on this link. (you can see 59A too and the WTP bulkheads)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21646147-post49.html
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETER01
... and there is no noticeable light pollution that I could remember.
Nor me. In addition, the curtain was a surprisingly effective visual and psychological division from the WT+ cabin; I had been sceptical about this ever since flying in the WT+ cabin during the FRA training flights, but in practice the CW cabin is actually well separated from WT+ despite the fact that it's only some thin bulkheads and a curtain.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Nor me. In addition, the curtain was a surprisingly effective visual and psychological division from the WT+ cabin; I had been sceptical about this ever since flying in the WT+ cabin during the FRA training flights, but in practice the CW cabin is actually well separated from WT+ despite the fact that it's only some thin bulkheads and a curtain.
I do really like 59 now and have very much warmed up to it but I do prefer 53 on day flights as a better view of the engines etc (given there's a bit of geek in me and many other FTr's).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Puzzling seat query...

We are checked in on tonight's ba296 ex ORD. Seat numbers say 2E and 2F...but class World traveller plus! Any ideas?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by no longer atc
We are checked in on tonight's ba296 ex ORD. Seat numbers say 2E and 2F...but class World traveller plus! Any ideas?
That's an interesting one! I'd be very interested to hear what transpires...

The flight is reasonably busy not does not appear to be oversold in any cabin (F2 A2 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E4 T1 Y9 B9H7 K5 M3 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9)

2E and 2F are allocated, the question is whether it's really to you two? If it was me, I'd print your boarding passes. Please report back with what happens.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
No access to printer just now...mobile passes on phone say 2e/f...in WTP?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by no longer atc
No access to printer just now...mobile passes on phone say 2e/f...in WTP?
That sounds more like an app IT failure then.

What does it show if you go to print them via MMB when they show up on the screen before choosing a printer?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:50 pm

Glitch

Says boarding grp 1..Seat 2F class WTP!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PETER01
I do really like 59 now and have very much warmed up to it but I do prefer 53 on day flights as a better view of the engines etc (given there's a bit of geek in me and many other FTr's).
Cool. Well, LHR-JNB is a night flight, so not much of a view to take in anyways--in any case, I gather that the view from 59 is better than anything on the lower deck. Thanks for the insights!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.