Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stimpy
I seem to have a choice for LAX. Either the 380 or 747. Assuming I would be in 64K on the 747, would that be better than any CW seat on the A380? It seems to have the most privacy right?

Note that I've flown on other A380's many times now so there is no special appeal to me on that bird. If the seats are exactly the same as the 747, then I think I will stick with that unless I'm missing something?
I've only seen the UD on the 380, but if I could guarantee being in 64K or 62K on a 744, on reflection I think I would be sticking with that rather than taking something on the 380 UD.

The 380 is lovely in many ways, most of all for its quietness. You won't get the calmness that comes from that, even on the 744 UD. But the 380 UD does not IMHO have any outstandingly good seats, and I saw nothing there that matched the private jet feel of the 744 UD, particularly with the choice 744 UD seats.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The 380 is lovely in many ways, most of all for its quietness. You won't get the calmness that comes from that, even on the 744 UD.
Except for the fact that there are a LOT more people on the 380 UD. A stronger chance that you will have noisy people near you. I've been on the 380 UD with AF, EK, SQ, etc. and it isn't always that quiet. And on any airline, you always have NC headsets or earplugs.

I have the same issue with BA's CW on the B777. Too many people in comparison to the 747 UD.

But thanks for confirming my suspicions. Maybe I will try the BA 380 on the outbound day flight and the trusty 747 on the red eye return.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
And I guess I would have the same question for First. Is 1A on the 747 better than any F seat on the 380?
But thanks for confirming my suspicions. Maybe I will try the BA 380 on the outbound day flight and the trusty 747 on the red eye return.
Hi, especially when doing a day flight and considering using avios to upgrade to F I would always choose the A380 over 747 or 777.

CW I can understand the points mentioned, however, for F, the A380 is really an improvement with 30 % more space in the cabin overall, no galley at the front so only noise from the rear really and especially if you choose row 2 or 3 seats. Leave row 1 or 4 alone as 1 is no bigger than on a 747 or 777 and 4 is too close to the noise and light of the galley.

Row 2 and 3 have a lot more space than on the other birds and are much more private due to the new higher and more enclosed walls for each suite. In addition, it is indeed going to be quieter than the 747 and 777 but with no extra pax over 747/777.

Of course, we don't yet know what difference the food and service will make on the A380 but certainly for F I would choose the A380 over others.

If food is important to you, maybe the A380 is worth a try with BA as they may get the food cooked to a better degree than previously and also with the reduced noise, you will think there is more taste to the food).

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Added a wikipost and consolidated some feedback.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Thanks to BobbySteel for collating the intel and adding it to the supporting Wiki. Seat plans have also been added this morning. Images of cabins and featured seats - they have been included with the very kind permission of BotB and Oxon Flyer.

Window locations have been added to BA's stock seat maps. They're not scientific but have been verified using cabin photography and give us the best indication of window alignments.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
BA Airbus A380, which are the best seats ? Master Discussion Thread

^ to Bobbysteel and Prospero for the very informative sticky wiki. I thought that would be a good idea but had no idea how to do it.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Can anyone (who has flown on the training flights) recall the egress sequence on arrival. What doors have the air bridges attached to at LHR/FRA? It would be very useful to establish which club cabin has the arrival advantage. Same goes for WT.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:09 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Prospero
Can anyone (who has flown on the training flights) recall the egress sequence on arrival. What doors have the air bridges attached to at LHR/FRA? It would be very useful to establish which club cabin has the arrival advantage. Same goes for WT.
I do remember and there are pictures showing two air bridges attached at FRA, both lower deck, and only one used for pax IIRC. I can't remember who exits first but seem to recall that the door nearest to 10A was used and we were first off...someone may correct me.

Regarding the seating questions...(loving the wikipost images by the way, thanks for doing that! ^) I have been trying to figure out a way to give an overview in addition to pics without needing descriptive sentences...while capturing all the relevant points that may be of interest to that cabin and class...Wondering if we could implement some type of standard that allows this overview? My current suggestion would be something along this lines: (feel free to critique/add/comment where appropriate...would this be useful for the A380 and 787 planes specifically?)

First:

Seat: 1A

Location: Aisle, Window, Middle, Bassinet (pick one or more appropriate)
Suitable for: Single, Parent with child, family, disabled, Sleep, Active, Work, Couple, Group

Space: l+6, w-2, standard (length = 1, width = w, + = extra, - = reduced)
Noise/Light/Temperature:kids, galley, loo, hot, cold
Food: first, middle, last
Exit: close, middle, far
Loo: Close, middle, far
Overhead Storage: Y or N
Privacy: scale: 1 to 3 (or 1 to 5? 1 being good?)
View (x/x): 1 to 5 (out of window and within cabin)
Cost: Free or Status only until T-24
Traffic: High or Low

Club:

50J

Location: Aisle, Window, Middle, Bulkhead, Bassinet, Exit row, Upper Deck, Main Deck
Suitable for: Single, Parent with child, family, disabled, Sleep, Active, Work, Couple,Group

Space: l+6, w-2 standard
Windows: Normal, Limited, n/A
Noise/Light/Temperature:kids,galley,loo,hot, cold
Access:direct, stepover
Side Bins: Yes / No (number)
Extra Drawer: Yes / No
Head Room: Full height, Reduced
Shroud on Footrest: Y or N or Partial
Privacy: scale: 1 to 3
Cabin Rating: Dorm, Private, Family
View: 1 to 5 (out of window and within cabin)
Cost: to purchase if available or Status only
Floor: Level or Uneven or Bouncy

WT+

Location: Aisle, Window, Middle, Bulkhead, Bassinet, Exit row
Suitable for: Single, Parent with child, family, disabled, Sleep, Active, Work, Couple,Group

Movable Armrest: Y or N
Storage: none, pouch, seat back
IFE box present: Y or N, left or right side
Footrest: Y or N
Power: Y or N

WT

80A

Location: Aisle, Window, Middle, Bulkhead, Bassinet, Exit row

Movable Armrest: Y or N (Both, left, right)
Reclining Seat (own/in front): N or Y or Bulkhead
Storage: none, pouch, seat back
IFE box present: Y or N, left or right side
Power: Y or N

Last edited by BotB; Sep 1, 2013 at 9:15 am Reason: adding detail
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Prospero
What doors have the air bridges attached to at LHR/FRA?
Upper 1 Left, at the galley between rows 53 and 54. Clearly, the closer you are to this door, the faster it's likely to be to get off.

Ironically, although I was in the 53A, almost as close to the door as it's possible to get, I stayed behind and ended being the last one off.

Thanks for doing the photos and seat maps!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Which would you choose, 10K or 56 A or 56 K.

Seems 10 K has a view but maybe near noisy fridge. 56 is Upstairs so a bit more room and quieter ?

From what I can tell at the moment favorites in CW seem to be UD 51-53 although 53 may have galley noise. Then 56-58 but not 59 as too close to WT+. Downstairs, not much except 10A K
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Have opted for 57K on flight I just booked for later this month - to LAX. Only 4 window seats left (flying solo), all UD of which this was furthest forward. Bit reluctant to go for 59A/K given proximity to WTP bassinets.

Get to compare and contrast with 787 as returning from EWR, now if they just have XLEC on the FRA run for my return...

(Pretty certain ain't gonna happen!)
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:47 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Which would you choose, 10K or 56 A or 56 K.

Seems 10 K has a view but maybe near noisy fridge. 56 is Upstairs so a bit more room and quieter ?

From what I can tell at the moment favorites in CW seem to be UD 51-53 although 53 may have galley noise. Then 56-58 but not 59 as too close to WT+. Downstairs, not much except 10A K
Of these three choices, I personally would take 10K, then 56K and last 56A.

10K may have some galley noise from the fridges as others have posted but with some noise cancelling headphones you would at least be okay if it did bother you and you would have a window seat with a view and get served first.

56K next because it is private but the seat back is close to the loo. So if anyone drops the toilet seat or the sound from the vacuum may be very noticeable here if not even physical...but better than 56A. You do get side bins up here and a smaller cabin which is also close to the exit and should be okay for food choice although still second cabin for UD CW so first choice may be gone by the time they get to you.

56A last, mostly because it is right beside a bassinet. If you are a couple with a small baby then this is brilliant, if you want to avoid any possible noise from a baby you are not in the right seat! You do have side bins and are close to the exit doors and again in the same position as 56K for food so choice between these two comes down to which bothers you less...a potential screaming baby and parent getting up all the time or a noisy loo beside you in 56K.

Maybe others will have other points. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Have opted for 57K on flight I just booked for later this month - to LAX. Only 4 window seats left (flying solo), all UD of which this was furthest forward. Bit reluctant to go for 59A/K given proximity to WTP bassinets.

Get to compare and contrast with 787 as returning from EWR, now if they just have XLEC on the FRA run for my return...

(Pretty certain ain't gonna happen!)
57K definitely better than row 59. Don't change!

The only time I could see this arrangement being of use is if people are split in cabins so one in WT+ with a child and one in CW (for whatever reason: money saving or Op-Up, physical health issues requiring a raised leg, etc...) if you are in such a situation then 59 B in CW and 60 D WT+ are almost paired seats just as 59J CW and 60F WT+ are pairs.

Otherwise, avoid...
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by f4monty
Thanks Dubbin. The side bins could swing it!
Word of warning... The side bins aren't as large and have a smaller opening than on the UD747. Bags that fitted in the 747 will be a squeeze!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: BA VS Gold; Hyatt Accor Marriott SPG Plat
Booked a flight next April LAX-LHR on the A380, with Mrs F.
Night flight, so thought 14EF would be ideal, middle pair but with aisle access.

The ONLY seat shown as taken on the main deck in CW is 14E.
Why would a solo flyer want this seat?

Plumped for 53AB for now, though will certainly check this thread for updates.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by fuseli

The ONLY seat shown as taken on the main deck in CW is 14E.
Why would a solo flyer want this seat?
Travel agents/corporate may just plop there client in any seat available, not looking on FT for the best seat

J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.