Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Soly
I am flying LHR-SFO on A380 in Early October. Any difference between 747 First and A380 First? From the pics, they look just about the same. This would be my first time in an A380.
They are night and day. There are better J products out there than F on the 747. Take the A380 every time. Row 2 or 3 is best IMO.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by phol
They are night and day. There are better J products out there than F on the 747. Take the A380 every time. Row 2 or 3 is best IMO.
Thats great news. ^ I was going to fly first anyway but I wanted to know if I should insist on the A380 flight. It flies a little later than the 747, so it arrives a little later in the afternoon to SFO. Since it's worth it, I will insist on the A380.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I'm flying the A380 on the BA 268 from LAX on 7th Sep. The only seats in the forward section of the Upper deck are the middle seats (DEF).

I have chosen 56K in the second upper deck cabin but will keep checking for any better seats prior to september.

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:55 pm

Booked 2E/F on A380 since I will be with the missus. I read somewhere that the lavatory for first is pretty small compared to the CW upper deck one. If that's the case, its a bit of a disappointment. Also, no lounge kind of area like other airlines' A380s.

Anyway, looking forward to my first A380 trip. I don't know why it took so long, I guess I haven't been flying the A380 routes.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Booked 2E/F on A380 since I will be with the missus. I read somewhere that the lavatory for first is pretty small compared to the CW upper deck one. If that's the case, its a bit of a disappointment. Also, no lounge kind of area like other airlines' A380s.

Anyway, looking forward to my first A380 trip. I don't know why it took so long, I guess I haven't been flying the A380 routes.
Yes the toilets for F are normal sized (small). The two forward toilets in CW on the upper deck are very large since they use the 'dead space' there, you should be able to go up the stairs to use them.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat

Really you're disappointed by the size of a toilet? How long are you expecting to spend in there?

TBH, I think the lounge areas on a plane are a bit of a gimmick, and I don't understand the point of them..
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by atmorris
Really you're disappointed by the size of a toilet? How long are you expecting to spend in there?

TBH, I think the lounge areas on a plane are a bit of a gimmick, and I don't understand the point of them..
Yes really! It is disappointing to have smaller toilets when there was a possibility of getting bigger ones. No wants to spend anytime in a claustrophobic toilet when there is a bigger option. I don't know why you are so hung up on my disappointment about the toilets.

A lounge, for me, would be something different on a plane. A lounge is a place that you only get on the ground, somewhere designed to socialize with fellow passengers and therefore, something that would take you out of the typical plane environment.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:38 am

They sound like a gimmick but they are always so well used on the aircraft that have them they're really not. They're a nice area to stretch your legs and get a change of surroundings on a long flight.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
I just think its hilarious what people get upset about, think there is more in life to worry about than the size of a tollet on a plane.. ahh well nowt as queer as folk
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just popping in to say that I didn't really care about aircraft toilet size until I used the upstairs CW toilet on the A380.

OMG is the phrase that comes to mind. Incredible. You can read a newspaper in there.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:56 am

I just think its hilarious what people get upset about, think there is more in life to worry about than the size of a tollet on a plane.. ahh well nowt as queer as folk
No one is upset. No one said they were upset. Expressing an opinion, favorable or disappointing is not as dramatic as you are trying to make it sound.

So take a chill pill
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mikekelley
You can read a newspaper in there.
IME, you can read a newspaper in most aircraft toilets, as long as it's the size of the Daily Mail.

Ah - now I wonder whether there's a connection.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:01 pm

Seat assignments: I'm travelling IAD-LHR in September on the BA216 A380 flight (and back later in the month on BA217). I notice that most of seats already booked appear to be window of aisle in economy - which either means BA automatically fills the front of economy with BAEC people in the hope that the centre seats won't be taken (or those capable of booking seats purposely book either the aisle or windows); is the BA system smart enough?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G

Many will consider having a formal dining room in a house a bit of a gimmick; for others it is essential - expectations and requirements do differ.

Speaking of a dining room - travelled on TG's A380 recently; they do have a rather spacious lounge/sitting area adjacent to their first class section at the front of the upper deck. It is possible to have what's there in terms of seating re-configured into a decent sized table and two chairs facing each other across the table for a remarkable dining experience for two - upon request - with caviar and garnitures (including frosted shots of stolichnaya), lobster thermidor (if one chooses to order), Dom Perignon 2004 and other 'gimmicks' when one thinks of (in)comparable experience of flying BA's F.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:01 am

Hello Flyers!

I know this has probably been discussed to death, but as much as I'd love to go through the 50+ pages of discussion here to see if my question has already been answered, I don't have the time or the patience (so I apologise!)

Flying LHR-LAX in a couple of weeks in Economy. I know the 25D is the king of seats but even with my Bronze status I doubt I'll be able to get it - and anyway I like to be on a window to relax.

I was thinking of the Upper Cabin but does anyone have any specific window seats to recommend? I was thinking of 71/72 A so far (I like the idea of the storage box). How is the foot space in those window seats? I know there's the IFE box but is it really huge? Am I going to be able to have room for my feet plus my personal bag? I'm 6'2. I would go for a bulkhead/exit row seat but I have a tendency to get super cold during flights and I like to look out of the window!

I've yet to fly the 380 so I'm not sure what seats are like. I've done plenty in BA 747 and I know I like one of the windows in the very last rows. I've also done plenty in Air Canada's 777-300ER and I know I like a window in the second from back.

Any help appreciated! Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.