Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
Depends on what the fear is.

If claustrophobia, then a window seat to look out of.

If fear of a crash, then minimize vibrations ("turbulence"); that means sitting in the middle of the plane's lenght, ie, in the front economy section.

How would she feel about a sleeping pill?
She is already planning on taking multiple Xanex.... so we will see how that goes.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:24 am

Hi

I've just booked from LHR to MIA with my wife and would be grateful if anybody could advise between the following seat options which are left -

Upper front CW cabin - either 50 A/B or J/K or 53 A/B

There is plenty availability at the rear and of the main deck.

Many thanks

Tim
Old May 24, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Row 50 is missing a window on each side. Row 53 is very private and has direct aisle access, but potentially noisy being close to the gallery. I tend to go for 53A/K if available.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I was in 25D on the A380 earlier this week and couldn't see the adjustable air vents...are there any?

I froze the whole flight, in fact I've never been on this plane whilst there's been a comfortable temperature in the cabin. Give me a heated cabin on the 747 any day! I know it's an old plane, but the seats are really comfortable and I always seem to doze off for an hour at least.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:02 pm

My wife and I are traveling Washington, D.C. (IAD) to London Hearthrow tomorrow on the A380 in club world. Looking for advice on what's better for a couple:

Upper deck: 59E & 59F (middle and isle, but face each other)
Lower deck: E&F seat in any of rows 11-14 (two middle seats)

also, looking at the map, to 14E&F have access to the isle without having to climb over someone due to being at the end of club world section?
Old May 27, 2015, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by thegame9377
My wife and I are traveling Washington, D.C. (IAD) to London Hearthrow tomorrow on the A380 in club world. Looking for advice on what's better for a couple:

Upper deck: 59E & 59F (middle and isle, but face each other)
Lower deck: E&F seat in any of rows 11-14 (two middle seats)

also, looking at the map, to 14E&F have access to the isle without having to climb over someone due to being at the end of club world section?
Definitely the middle pair. Unless you really like looking out of the window the middle pairs are the best seats in the house for a couple. Anything else and one of you has to put up with the awful aisle seats.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Has anyone had experience of travelling as a couple in J and not elected to pay £75 per seat in advance? I am interested as to where we might be pre-allocated seats?

It seems a bit extreme to pay £300 to pre-book the two centre seats (of four).
Old May 28, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
I wouldn't ever pay to reserve centre seats unless you want the ones at the end that have free access to the aisles. Middle pairs are always the last to go and even at t-24 there's a reasonable chance of you nabbing the end-of-cabin pair.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi guys,

Wife and I have managed to nab a couple of F seats SFO - LHR on the A380 in December (assuming no aircraft changes before then!). I am not allowed in 1A/K due to status, and the agent placed us in 2E/F. Is this the best set of seats for a couple in F? This trip should be pretty good if things stay static as it's an open jaw LHR - DEN / SFO - LHR and we have 2A and 2K on the 747 on the way out.

Cheers!
Old May 28, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Pet0r
Hi guys,

Wife and I have managed to nab a couple of F seats SFO - LHR on the A380 in December (assuming no aircraft changes before then!). I am not allowed in 1A/K due to status, and the agent placed us in 2E/F. Is this the best set of seats for a couple in F? This trip should be pretty good if things stay static as it's an open jaw LHR - DEN / SFO - LHR and we have 2A and 2K on the 747 on the way out.

Cheers!
Yep, 2E/F definitely best for a couple.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: BA, BMI, ONE PASS
Ba A380

I have just booked 53 J and K LHR to MIA first time on a A 380 can anyone tell me if these seats are any good
Old May 30, 2015, 10:47 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by highland dancer
I have just booked 53 J and K LHR to MIA first time on a A 380 can anyone tell me if these seats are any good
seatguru.com

the 380 is for me a flying dorm in J

YMMV
Old May 30, 2015, 10:50 am

Seatguru is generally not very good for BA.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...on-thread.html

See the wiki at the top, which summarises the prevailing views on a number of seats.

The upper deck front cabin (in which row 53 is located) is fairly small, I don't feel the flying dorm effect. I often pick 53A/K, very private and direct aisle access, but sometimes galley noise.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Ba A380

When we travelled to JNB I found 53B very noisy, and my farther in law who is partially deaf, in 53J also found the noise from the galley prevented him from sleeping.
Old May 31, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Are the non-bassinet seats in the front row of WTP blocked for golds? They are all appearing as open on expert flyer for BA26 next Tues and one is open on this Friday's BA25, but I can't select them as a silver.

Or is expert flyer wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.