Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:30 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:24 am
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by f4monty
My good self and the other half are flying back from HKG in November in row 12 but are folk saying the upper deck is the better bet, with all this talk of 50+? I read somewhere that the lower deck was the better bet - more feeling of spaciousness etc blah. Sadly not flying out on the 380 because of timing issues.
Its still early days f4monty and so there are only some views expressed here and many more will come once people get a chance to actually fly on it of course. Many people do enjoy the main deck and aren't bothered by the 'dorm' feel that 6 rows of 2-4-2 (so 42 CW seats) will have.

One big reason I personally would always choose the upper deck is that you simply get a better (and different) view than what you would have on almost any other airplane (exception 747 in BA's fleet at least). Given that the main deck CW seats are all over wing, you won't see much but the wing unless you are a bit higher up and can look around in my opinion (and the lower seat numbers, smaller cabins and side bins!)

I have looked at the pictures Oxon Flyer took of the main deck and also looked at the seat map and I personally can't find any seats that offer extra leg room or any real advantage over another seat on the main deck.

Not sure how the A380 will compare to the 747 but if you have a couple of larger items or carry bags for 2 or 3 people I always found it easier to get them stowed on the main deck as the overhead bins were larger or more voluminous than the UD 747 bins were...wonder if BA has stuck with that idea for the A380 or if they are the same?

Any seat in Club is going to be nice, some people will always have a special place they wish to sit for one reason or another!

HTH
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Sludge
Thanks BotB. It may be easier to toss a coin!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:01 am
Community Director Emerita

Is there a thread about F seating? BA shows 4 rows. The first row is 1x1. The next 3 rows are 1 x 2 x 1. I don't like the middle two seats on the 747 even if flying with my husband. Are those seats different on the 380 that make them more private than on the 747?

Oxon Flyer's pictures of the F cabin are here.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is there a thread about F seating? BA shows 4 rows. The first row is 1x1. The next 3 rows are 1 x 2 x 1. I don't like the middle two seats on the 747 even if flying with my husband. Are those seats different on the 380 that make them more private than on the 747?

Oxon Flyer's pictures of the F cabin are here.
Yes, the middle pairs are definately more private than on a 744, and they look slightly more private than the 777 NF also.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...on/airbus-a380
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ture-tour.html
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
I haven't seen this review posted before

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1221...o-check-it-out

Of course there's always some inaccurate info in a non #avgeek article, but I very much enjoyed this bit...
The bottom deck, which BA told Pocket-lint is seen more of a party deck, has a seat configuration of 2:4:2 compared to a 2:3:2 seat configuration upstairs. Big overhead lockers aside, it has higher ceilings than upstairs and that makes it feel a lot more airy.
Party deck... really? Can you imagine?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just been informed one of our bookings on BA282 has been switched from 747 to A380 so need to make a decision.

For Mrs F and me the overriding criterion is a window seat with no step-over. We can survive 10 hours without handling each other in public and don't mind sitting apart so in CW we generally take 62A/K on 747 or 5A/K on 777. On the A380 the equivalents appear to be (main deck) 15A/K and (upper deck) 53A/E/K plus 59A/E/K. Do you experts out there agree?

Sounds like the upper deck is potentially calmer (maybe somewhat like 747 UD, though with 2-3-2 I wouldn't set my expectations too high). And we like having side bins so wouldn't bother with the solo middle E seat. The other differentiators (misaligned windows, proximity to galley) are all minor factors. As long we have maximum privacy and don't have to step other someone's legs or have them stepping over us, we're happy. Couldn't be more easy to please, in fact. So it looks like we should go for 53A & 53K and 59A & 59K. Good choices?

Incidentally, with reference to the title of this thread, are any seats greyed out for non-status PAX? That would give an indication of which seats BA thinks are likely to be seen as premium.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
So... best CW seat on A380?

Main deck is £65 and upper £80 on a dummy LAX route, so BA must agree UD a premium area. No specific seats seem blanked out, so I assume its a free-for-all. Are 1AK going to be kept for golds? Seems little point TBH as it's less difference between seats with this layout.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by fripperies
Just been informed one of our bookings on BA282 has been switched from 747 to A380 so need to make a decision.
[snip]
Incidentally, with reference to the title of this thread, are any seats greyed out for non-status PAX? That would give an indication of which seats BA thinks are likely to be seen as premium.
Also informed about change yesterday for flights next May.
Was re-allocated 53A and 53K (from 64A on the 744).
Have looked at seat availability and nothing obviously greyed out; those that are look to be genuine bookings.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by chrismk
Also informed about change yesterday for flights next May.
Was re-allocated 53A and 53K (from 64A on the 744).
Have looked at seat availability and nothing obviously greyed out; those that are look to be genuine bookings.
Interesting re-allocation. My email said my seat reservations had been carried forward but in MMB it showed us in 10A/B (from 62A/K). i guess you're happy with 53A/K ? I've booked those myself and will hold them unless someone comes along with an adverse TR.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by fripperies
Interesting re-allocation. My email said my seat reservations had been carried forward but in MMB it showed us in 10A/B (from 62A/K). i guess you're happy with 53A/K ? I've booked those myself and will hold them unless someone comes along with an adverse TR.
Perfectly happy, in the absence of any adverse comments.
Feet might be adjacent to the back of the galley but I can live with that!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold,HH Gold, Flying Club Gold, SAS Gold
Will be going LHR-LAX in Oct and have chosen 59A on the upper deck as I felt 53A was best choice but is not available. Would like to know what others think? I flew a380 with emirates DXB-LHR in Feb and it really set a gold standard. Agree with others that the seat layout BA have gone for is a bit of a missed opportunity to keep up.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by eejp1007
I think that the mini-cabins in Y upstairs are deffo the ones to go for ...
Has anybody had the chance to compare yet?

When we took the inaugural AF flights to/from CDG, we chose lower deck outbound and upper deck inbound and found the UD seats somewhat claustrophobic (for a big bird) because of the angled walls and lower (?) ceiling.

Possibly perception, having become accustomed to CE UD, CW dormitory and F.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I've created a consolidated discussion thread for this topic.

Originally Posted by thebouncer
Will be going LHR-LAX in Oct
So will I.

FWIW, having crawled around both decks on BA's A380, and having travelled in Y on both the upper and lower decks on (another airlines) A380, IMO, I would recommend the Upper Deck, because :

1) The 2-4-2 layout upstairs feels more spacious then the 3-4-3 downstairs
2) The twin-pairs are nice if you are travelling as a couple
3) For the window seats, extra space where the side-bins are more than compensates for the fuselage curvature.
4) Its quieter
5) Views are better

Regarding the larger forward cabin vs the smaller 'snug' cabin at the back : I didn't have any preference.

And welcome to FT and the BA forum thebouncer ^
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: BA, VS
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I've created a consolidated discussion thread for this topic.

So will I.

^
And one more! We were scheduled out on a 747 and back on the inaugural LAX-LHR A380 on the 15th, but now got the A380 scheduled both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.