Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats dont have anyone climbing over them. Theres nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and dont mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but Im not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If thats your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows wont matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old May 9, 2024, 1:51 pm

On a recent BA193 to DFW we were deplaned via the front stairs and off the lower jet bridge. I walked passed an attached upper jet bridge on my way out so not sure why we couldn't use it.

Although there was one singular Cop there so perhaps they were going to "welcome" someone directly down that bridge.
Old May 12, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: American Airlines
59E: any opinions? It has aisle access/no "step over" yet nobody seems to choose it

I noticed for various dates nobody seems to pick this particular seat... even the hard to book flight dates. It seems to be a "good one" even though it's close to the World Traveler Cabin and their bassinets.
Thanks for any opinions

Last edited by aks120; May 12, 2024 at 12:57 pm Reason: Removed bolding
Old May 12, 2024, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GregMM1805
I noticed for various dates nobody seems to pick this particular seat... even the hard to book flight dates. It seems to be a "good one" even though it's close to the World Traveler Cabin and their bassinets.
Thanks for any opinions
59E upstairs with aisle access but behind the screen is the WTP bassinets seats.
You are in the middle seats flanked by 2 other aisle passengers but you can put up the two dividers up once airborne.

Last edited by aks120; May 12, 2024 at 12:58 pm Reason: Removed bolding in quote
Old May 21, 2024, 10:15 am

another what seat for a couple

hi bit annoyed flying lhr-mia and return next year and after specifically choosing the later flights as it was offering club suite im now finding out that they have swapped out the plane to the a388

issues my wife is short and after flying Aer lingus a330 this year and having her fall over me trying to get out of the window seat we would rather she didnt need to climb over anyone also i like it to be secluded as possible so dont want an isle seat for me, i dont really care about looking out of a window especially on the return as we are departing 21:30 anyway

so im thinking 53 a/b/j/k as i can take window and not climb over anyone and im looking at a wall and more secluded she has the isle and only being 5ft shouldnt have an issue with people standing on her i had thought 50a/b as i dont care about the window and i can step over people in 51b but then she doesnt have anyone stepping over her but then i dunno

i feel they are all flawed especially compared to the suite. i have a alert set up for first availability that i will take if they come available but at the moment i balk at paying 488/50% of the ticket price just to select the seat! any advice
Old May 21, 2024, 4:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Unfortunately aircraft changes can take place and who knows it may even change again?

The only thing wrong with 50B, whilst no one steps over them is it's at the front next to the loos. There is a curtain right there which obviously has movement near the seat and from what I recall didn't look the best seats. Here is an old photo of mine from a few years ago re 5OK.

Personally I'd go for 53 J/K or 53 A/B. If you want these then of course you'd have to pay if no status. I'm sure the payment fees are actually designed to put people off and leave the better seats for those with BA/oneworld status who have a better choice (as in 53 ABJK) in later/late bookings. You of course don't have to pay however at OLCI there will be a limited choice available to move.

Maybe worth considering paying out? (Row 53 AB or JK) and not paying for the way back and take your chances on the way back as it's an overnighter anyhow.

More info in the wiki re opinions.

ineedhelpnow and LCSinTexas like this.

Last edited by PETER01; May 21, 2024 at 5:05 pm Reason: correcting seat number on photo
Old May 22, 2024, 1:44 am

Cheers!

You may be right re the charges, I do think wt+ upwards it should be included but I'm not in charge

I could accept maybe 50pp but 122 is silly but will end up paying it.

Any thoughts on how far out first avios availability may pop up?
Old May 22, 2024, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by ineedhelpnow
Cheers!

You may be right re the charges, I do think wt+ upwards it should be included but I'm not in charge

I could accept maybe 50pp but 122 is silly but will end up paying it.

Any thoughts on how far out first avios availability may pop up?
Just think of the seat fee as the final price of your CW ticket

As I said the seating fees are popular with status holders as they can then pick better seats on late/last minute bookings. If I were you I wouldn't pay on the way back but it would be worth it in my view on the way out. BA will allocate you seats on the return however if there are any better seats available then there would be a charge. So 244 sounds better I think.

As for F Avios availability you'd have to keep checking very regularly on ba.com or set up an alert on seatspy or expertflyer

The MIA route in F is popular and I don't think many F seats will open up but you never know and if they did you have to act fast.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:18 am

i've just noticed 56b is taken with the bassinet! so 53j/k might be better then! i can cope with galley noise but a crying kid i cant cope with

or maybe its just blocked from booking anyway 53j/k booked both ways

Last edited by ineedhelpnow; May 22, 2024 at 3:16 am
Old May 22, 2024, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Dselvan
59E upstairs with aisle access but behind the screen is the WTP bassinets seats.
You are in the middle seats flanked by 2 other aisle passengers but you can put up the two dividers up once airborne.
And actually the middle seat has a bit more space. For sleeping it's rather nice plus the fact that it's more enclosed.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by ineedhelpnow
i've just noticed 56b is taken with the bassinet! so 53j/k might be better then! i can cope with galley noise but a crying kid i cant cope with

or maybe its just blocked from booking anyway 53j/k booked both ways
You can tell whether it is taken or just blocked by looking on www.expertflyer.com.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:04 am

cheers, yeah just blocked, had forgotten about expert flyer site
Old May 31, 2024, 5:18 pm

Anyone with experience of Row 83 (specifically 83K)?

Up against the wall but old SeatGuru reviews suggest you can recline as usual. Not overly bothered about the closeness to the galley.
Old May 31, 2024, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by d.r.zhang
Anyone with experience of Row 83 (specifically 83K)?

Up against the wall but old SeatGuru reviews suggest you can recline as usual. Not overly bothered about the closeness to the galley.
Yes but a few years ago and row 83 reclines as normal. See these photos of mine below.

It was fine but if you get the chance, or you can pay if available I'd go for row 80 which I have also done this is the exit row but no window or side bins however the extra legroom is great. If you take a backpack/rucksack or similar then you can put your feet up after take off

Alternatively 25D on the lower deck is very good as there's no seat in front of you.

Ignore seatguru completely, it's woefully out of date.

More photo's here of the mini cabin.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21948492-post42.html

Last edited by PETER01; May 31, 2024 at 11:29 pm
Old Jun 1, 2024, 6:52 pm

Thanks Peter, very useful. The other seats you mentioned were taken so will go with 83.
PETER01 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jun 2, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Travelling JNB to LHR in December. Currently have 53A as dont like having to climb over anyone but wondering if its going to be very noisy as in front of the galley and Ill be last when they take the food orders?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.